• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Possible to get a name change?

TheRabbitsHole

Hello,

The name that I currently use is associated with my company that no longer exists. I know it's possible to change a users name, but the question is whether or not an admin is willing.

Let me know.
Thank you.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
I would be glad to help. PM me your new name request and I will take care of it.

John

Hello,

The name that I currently use is associated with my company that no longer exists. I know it's possible to change a users name, but the question is whether or not an admin is willing.

Let me know.
Thank you.

Jack House

Would be nice if the feature was enabled for users to change it themselves. I like to change my name a lot and randomly. lol

eye95

JMO, but I am glad that only the admins can change a user's name. Changing names willy-nilly creates confusion as to whom one is talking.

Jack House

JMO, but I am glad that only the admins can change a user's name. Changing names willy-nilly creates confusion as to whom one is talking.
You must also be one of those that hates anonymity too. :p

It really doesn't cause any confusion. Like I said, I do it all the time on other forums, very very rarely does anyone ever get confused.

eye95

You must also be one of those that hates anonymity too. :p

It really doesn't cause any confusion. Like I said, I do it all the time on other forums, very very rarely does anyone ever get confused.

Hmmm...Do you think my real name is eye95?

Anyway, it might not cause confusion for you, but it will for others. Anyway, I've made my reasoning clear. I'd bet it was already in line with the owners here. If it wasn't, I hope it now is.

Jack House

Hmmm...Do you think my real name is eye95?
Whoosh.

Anyway, it might not cause confusion for you, but it will for others. Anyway, I've made my reasoning clear. I'd bet it was already in line with the owners here. If it wasn't, I hope it now is.
I suppose you simply missed the part where I said anyone and just imagined I said myself. But I didn't, I said it doesn't confuse anyone, well except a couple idiots here and there but then they are always confused by the slightest things anyway.

But even if it did cause confusion, I don't see the problem. When engaging in a discussion it is not the user that is important, but rather their post. Where mod business is concerned, IE keeping an eye on possible trolls, there is the usernotes and other ways of knowing who's who aside from the name.

Jack House

Reputations and relationships are important on this site.
If you are friends with someone, then the odds of you ever being confused by them changing their name are slim to none. This lot especially should not get confused by a name change. Situational awareness is a big deal here.

Similarly, people are not going to lose their reputation because they change their name. Those that hold one in high or low regard are not going to be confused by a name change, those that are new to the forums are not going to know a person's reputation anyway.