• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

post office in a gas station

vegaspassat

So, I know that you cannot carry in a post office or even in the parking lot of the property (I hope you don't ask for a cite). But here's the problem - there is a gas station on lake mead near hollywood that has a post office inside of it. Am I allowed to carry in the gas station still? Or even in the lot in order to get gas? Also slightly related - what about mailing centers that ship via USPS as well as the other private shipping companies?

Kinoons

My understanding is those are contract units, not ran by the Feds, with no fed employees. To me that sounds like carry away.

KBCraig

They're contractors. You can carry there, just like you can carry in the vehicle of someone who happens to use it to deliver a rural mail route during the day.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Even if staffed with a USPS employee, the "postal property" would only be the part they lease on the other side of the counter. And, like stated, most aren't federal employees anyway; I'm not familiar with the exact store here, though, but you don't need to worry about being in it.

CowboyKen

So, I know that you cannot carry in a post office or even in the parking lot of the property...

The parking lot is restricted ONLY if it is enclosed. "(2) Vehicles and their contents brought into, while on, or being removed from restricted nonpublic areas are subject to inspection." etc. http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...a0fe0f6d63ee4f0a;view=text;node=39:1.0.1.4.21

Also slightly related - what about mailing centers that ship via USPS as well as the other private shipping companies?

These are private enterprises and not subject to the restrictions in the CFR.

Ken

mrjam2jab

The parking lot is restricted ONLY if it is enclosed. "(2) Vehicles and their contents brought into, while on, or being removed from restricted nonpublic areas are subject to inspection." etc. http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...a0fe0f6d63ee4f0a;view=text;node=39:1.0.1.4.21

I think this section says differently:

232.1 - Conduct on postal property.

(a) Applicability. This section applies to all real property under the charge and control of the Postal Service, to all tenant agencies, and to all persons entering in or on such property. This section shall be posted and kept posted at a conspicuous place on all such property. This section shall not apply to (i) Any portions of real property, owned or leased by the Postal Service, that are leased or subleased by the Postal Service to private tenants for their exclusive use; (ii) With respect to sections 232.1(h)(1) and 232.1(o), sidewalks along the street frontage of postal property falling within the property lines of the Postal Service that are not physically distinguishable from adjacent municipal or other public sidewalks, and any paved areas adjacent to such sidewalks that are not physically distinguishable from such sidewalks.

So if a PO has a dedicated customer parking lot, it is restricted...even without a fence. If said parking lot is shared...as in the case of a PO in a strip mall...then it is not restricted.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The parking lot is restricted ONLY if it is enclosed. "(2) Vehicles and their contents brought into, while on, or being removed from restricted nonpublic areas are subject to inspection." etc. ...

'Illegal to possess' and 'subject to inspection' are not the same thing.

How sure are you that the unfenced parking lot that is obviously on postal property and for the sole use of a post office is legal for firearms possession?

I agree that I've never heard of it being enforced in anyway; you could probably have a gun rack in the rear window and not have a problem in the parking lot, but that doesn't mean it's not illegal. I realize the burden of citing to authority is on the side of the claim of something being illegal, but I thought this was common knowledge, even for the parking lot (again, though never having been enforced).

The 'subject to inspection' probably relates to the back parking lot for employees and company vehicles, etc.

Last edited:

Vegassteve

At the post office by us the fenced in back area has a sign with rules. Those rules have a no weapons section. The other lot has no such sign. The only sign is when you are already in the building. So I have always taken it to mean the fenced area only off limits and my car was ok in the non fenced lot.