• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post Office

09jisaac

This is a two part thread.

The first part is, as we all know is it is illegal to carry a firearm into a USPS post office but do you carry your holsters in (if you have to go in) or do you leave that outside with your carry piece? What brought this up was recently I had to go into the post office twice (registered mail and to check on a package). The first time I was in there I was carrying an OWB holster only, the 2nd time was a couple days later I was CCing so I only had a small IWB holster that day. But while I was waiting for my package to be checked on the other worker tried to hand me a paper with the no firearm symbol on it. She swore that last time I was in there, I was carrying. She seemed to think I was lying when I told her I just had a holster that day.

The second part is, are "contracted sites" of the USPS a restricted place also? The BP station on RT 32 in Louisa, Kentucky is contracted through the USPS to take in letters, sale stamps ect. Would it be illegal if I carry a firearm in there? They have no signs posted of the sort, but I don't think that changes anything.

Last edited:

09jisaac

I cleared it up a bit. I was CCing that day, so when I went the the post office I left my j-frame in the vehicle and I only my small IWB holster on me. As opposed to when I carry OC and have a large hip holster on. Neither case did I have the firearm when I entered federal property. I know it is not legal to carry into the post office. I do think we should try to get that changed, as the post office shouldn't be a "sensitive place".

Thanks for looking out for me though.

09jisaac

Did not read the entire thing but give the peruse the below.

http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/232-1-conduct-postal-property-19777182

(a) Applicability. This section applies to all real property under the charge and control of the Postal Service, to all tenant agencies, and to all persons entering in or on such property.

(l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

So this could mean that an ordinary pocket knife could be prohibited?

You gave me reference to the actual law, but I am unsure how to interpret the information given to me.

Maine Expat

I've been into the local village PO twice and another neighboring PO once with an empty OWB holster. No comments at all.

If the one PW wants to call you a liar its (s)he said, you said and the security video from that day will show who's right.

OC for ME

So this could mean that an ordinary pocket knife could be prohibited?

You gave me reference to the actual law, but I am unsure how to interpret the information given to me.
I feel for ya, I read the entire law and I too have not been able to interpret what the law prohibits.

My best guess is that the term 'property' means property 'owned' by the USPS. If your local BP station is 'reselling' USPS products they are not USPA property. But, considering that the USPS is a quasi-federal agency their interpretation may be different than mine. I think that a store that sells stamps and also has a letter drop box (like a street corner mail box) it is not a post office and there for not USPS property.

As to the chick giving you a hard time, you said she said, I'd not worry about it.

09jisaac

As to the chick giving you a hard time, you said she said, I'd not worry about it.

I am not worried about that. If she felt that strongly about it I would already known something by now. I was just wondering what the highly regarded "appropriate" way to do it was, removing the holster every time can be a pain.

I appreciate all the responses.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I am not worried about that. If she felt that strongly about it I would already known something by now. I was just wondering what the highly regarded "appropriate" way to do it was, removing the holster every time can be a pain.

I appreciate all the responses.

The Post Office (official version) is one of the few places that I do not OC - though there are some serious questions about the legality of the restriction.

I do OC my empty holster there though and w/o having stayed at a Holiday Inn Express :p

Maine Expat

This thread got me to thinkin, after I had my coffee and Wheaties.

A local hardware store (Ace or some such) has a USPS sub-station inside. I'll have to mosey in sometime and ask who owns what there and try to get a straight answer.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This thread got me to thinkin, after I had my coffee and Wheaties.

A local hardware store (Ace or some such) has a USPS sub-station inside. I'll have to mosey in sometime and ask who owns what there and try to get a straight answer.

Great place to get an answer on carrying hardware.......from a hardware store clerk. Sorry, couldn't resist :p

Freedom1Man

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Since when could we not carry into a postal office?

I have done it OC just fine with out a single mention or complaint.

http://rlwesquire.wordpress.com/2008/06/09/question-about-concealed-carry-in-a-post-office/

(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—

(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

There is such a case that is working its way through the court system in Colorado.
http://www.ammoland.com/2010/11/22/lawsuit-filed-against-post-office-gun-ban/#axzz22VMXgjCk

With an update here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/28/post-office-gun-ban-lawsuit_n_1117098.html

I even have some doubts as to whether a Post Office is a federal facility - depends who you ask.

Meanwhile we have LEAs and the government taking the no guns position which most of us can ill afford to contest. The wheels of justice turn slowly and make many stops along the way. If this case is going to resolve the problem in our favor, it will need to go all the way to SCOTUS. Lots more time.

As I still see it you and "Rob the Lawyer" are hanging your hat on a pending decision that may provide a valid defense down the road........but not much good today - that is the real world.

Freedom1Man

There is such a case that is working its way through the court system in Colorado.
http://www.ammoland.com/2010/11/22/lawsuit-filed-against-post-office-gun-ban/#axzz22VMXgjCk

With an update here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/28/post-office-gun-ban-lawsuit_n_1117098.html

I even have some doubts as to whether a Post Office is a federal facility - depends who you ask.

Meanwhile we have LEAs and the government taking the no guns position which most of us can ill afford to contest. The wheels of justice turn slowly and make many stops along the way. If this case is going to resolve the problem in our favor, it will need to go all the way to SCOTUS. Lots more time.

As I still see it you and "Rob the Lawyer" are hanging your hat on a pending decision that may provide a valid defense down the road........but not much good today - that is the real world.

For one it's not posted in Washington, the state of.