• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post Office???

eye95

Thinking out loud over here...

What if that individual was a civilian contractor for the government? Say their employer is IEM, but they're performing a job that DHS has contracted out to IEM. If that job requires them to carry, is it considered official? :eek:

I am not a lawyer, so I don't want to attempt to deal with the nuances. I was trying to make a gross point in the law, basically that ordinary citizens just doing business with the post office clearly fall on the side of the line known as "not official." A police officer performing his duties clearly falls on the side of the line known as "official." Exactly where that line between the two falls, I don't know.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Based on the Dorosan case out of the Court of Appeals in '08, I would not suggest carrying anywhere on postal property.

What's interesting in that case is the fact that the court ruled very narrowly, only ruling on carry in the restricted/gated employee parking areas, and did not address the public parking areas.

Not wanting to be the test case for the public parking areas, I will continue to park on the street and lock my firearm in the truck while I go inside.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
What's interesting in that case is the fact that the court ruled very narrowly, only ruling on carry in the restricted/gated employee parking areas, and did not address the public parking areas.

Not wanting to be the test case for the public parking areas, I will continue to park on the street and lock my firearm in the truck while I go inside.

Update on the current case:

ORDERED: Defendants’ Motion to Dismiss Plaintiffs’ First Amended Complaint, filed
December 6, 2010 [6], is granted with leave for plaintiffs to file an amended
complaint (20 days) by April 11, 2011

But it's not over yet. The original complaint covered both inside the building and the public parking lot together. The have filed an amended complaint that separates the two.