• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post your open carry experiences and encounters

The Dove

Charleston's

Does anyone know if Charleston's has prohibitted firearms in their chain stores? I make it to the city about 3 times per year and love their food. Haven't been since November 1st though and was curious.

Archerman99

Charlestons is posted. They are owned by a group that owns several restaurants.
Here is a link to their website, http://www.ehsrg.com

I have sent them an email a week ago (day before Thanksgiving) about Louie's on the Lake because it is posted as well.
I have not heard back from them. I do not know if it is a corporate policy or what, but it must be, because I do know believe they are franchises, so it must be.

Hal Smith Restaurant Group owns Louie's, Charleston's, Hefner Grill, Hollies, Krispy Kream, Mahogany, Mama Roja, Red Rock Canyon, The Garage, Toby Keith's and Upper Crust.

They have some really good restaurants, some of which I frequent fairly regularly.
I really think we should sent them some more emails (polite of course) to see if we can get a dialog started with the owners about allowing legal carry.

Sorry, I know all that is not an open carry experience, but just wanted to share.

Springfield Smitty

OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank good
I was talking to a friend of mine who manages one of a number of family owned stores in the metro. At this point they have no policy on carry, either by employees or the public. He was telling me one of his employees was carrying on Nov 1 and another employee asked him if he was going to say anything to her. He said, Why? She hasn't had any problems with customers all day. Everyone has been real nice to her today.

I had to laugh.

It obviously seems that you are making a point of maintaining the anonimity of this business. Maybe it's because they do not have an official policy regarding open carry and you don't want folks to overwhelm them with a slew of OC'ed sidearms. Perhaps you are doing so in an effort to maintain the privacy of the individual you mentioned, which is even more respectable; but I would love to know which business it is so that I may give them my patronage to thank them for not trampling on our rights. If there is a reason you are doing this, I completely understand. On the other hand, if there is no particular reason for it I'm sure everyone else would like to do the same.

Last edited:

hrdware

It obviously seems that you are making a point of maintaining the anonimity of this business. Maybe it's because they do not have an official policy regarding open carry and you don't want folks to overwhelm them with a slew of OC'ed sidearms. Perhaps you are doing so in an effort to maintain the privacy of the individual you mentioned, which is even more respectable; but I would love to know which business it is so that I may give them my patronage to thank them for not trampling on our rights. If there is a reason you are doing this, I completely understand. On the other hand, if there is no particular reason for it I'm sure everyone else would like to do the same.

Probably not a place lots of people are going to go, but it is Lumber 2 Home and Ranch.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Had a few interesting experiences over the last two days.

I went into Bancfirst at Broadway and RS Kerr just like I have many times. As I was finishing up making a deposit, the branch manager walked up beside me, 2 or 3 feet away, and kept looking at my gun and back at my face. Finally, she says "I don't think we allow that here". I told her that if she checks, she will find that Bancfirst allows lawful carry, and has for years, and that as a result, they are picking up new customers, since a few other banks are changing their policies to disallow lawful carry. She said that she would definitely be checking into that.

I was at Office Depot tonight to replace a printer that quit working. While I was dealing with one employee, another comes up and asks me what I do for a living. I told him, and he commented, "that explains the sidearm." I chuckled and told him that 140000 Oklahomans are licensed to carry, and that any of us have the option to conceal or carry open. Then he tells me that Office Depot is going to post signs. I told him that would be a shame, since I and millions of other gun owners would then feel the need to find another store for office supplies. I know that OD has been carry friendly (nationwide) for years, and I would be very disappointed if this one employee's information was accurate.

Stopped in to Home Depot to look at laminate flooring for my living room. The 2 employees who assisted me never made a comment or acted like they even noticed. They worked with me for far too long to not see it. This was a great encounter.

I also was at Sooner State Pawn (southside) and of course, OC is no problem there, at all. I did have a couple other customers ask me if I was a cop...lol

okiephlyer

2. Last night, I was heading into Buffalo Wild Wings in BA with my family and another couple (4 adults, 3 kids). Size: LARGE Gunbuster sign on the door. What a disappointment from one of our favorite restaurants (oh well, their service ALWAYS sucks anyways). I asked to speak with the manager and he told me that the decision was made by the Franchise owner, who also owns the other 2 BW's in Tulsa, and lives in OKC. I gave him the business card and let him know the amount of business that they just lost. He had no info on how to contact said Franchise owner. That is all.

All in all, the public seems as apathetic about our exercising of rights as they do about their having them.

Nick

Are all BWW franchise locations? IIRC from many years ago, BWW corporate policy is "no guns" but many of the stores were not posted. I remember that from somewhere on this forum, possibly the "Virginia" page. Sorry for not doing the search first, but time is limited this morning.
OBTW - I have OC'd in BWW in Nevada, no problems.

ddillman

Can someone clarify for the group please: Does state law prohibit a teacher from leaving their firearm in their vehicle? Is it school policy? Are we saying it's Federal law?

I know in Michigan it is legal to leave it in your vehicle on school grounds. State law expressly states such to protect teachers or unlicensed owners from having to be unarmed.

As for carrying on or inside school property: Unlicensed OC is legal for anyone 18+ in general. Unlicensed carry is not allowed on school property, except for leaving it in your vehicle. Concealed carry is prohibited on school property, except for leaving it in your vehicle. Here comes the confusing part; if you are licensed to carry concealed, you ARE allowed to OC on or inside school property. How's that for weird?

ETA: To stay on topic - Last week I OC'ed at Walmart (122nd / Memorial), GameStop (same location), Freddy's Frozen Custard (same area - just South), KFC (122nd / Penn), Taco Bell (same location), Vintage Stock (72nd? / May) WalMart Neighborhood Market (Britton / Penn), Walgreens (same location) all in OKC with no issues.

I'm confused on where people are getting their information. You say that "Unlicensed carry is not allowed on school property, EXCEPT FOR LEAVING IT IN YOUR VEHICLE." I have talked with Law enforcement and read Oklahoma SDA and it specifically states you cannot leave your gun in your vehicle unattended.

Next you say, "Concealed carry is prohibited (true) on school property, except leaving it in your vehicle (UNTRUE)." I am a teacher and I have a concealed license and I am NOT ALLOWED to leave my gun unattended in my vehicle on school property.

Now, for your comment about be allowed to OC on or inside school property, THAT IS SO UNTRUE. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CC OR OC ON OR IN SCHOOL PROPERTY AT ANY TIME. Where you get this information I don't know, but I have a friend who is a School Resource Officer as well as Skiatook PD. I have other friends that are Skiatook PD and I have never heard anyone say it is legal to OC or CC on or in school property at any time with a concealed license.

hrdware

I'm confused on where people are getting their information. You say that "Unlicensed carry is not allowed on school property, EXCEPT FOR LEAVING IT IN YOUR VEHICLE." I have talked with Law enforcement and read Oklahoma SDA and it specifically states you cannot leave your gun in your vehicle unattended.

Next you say, "Concealed carry is prohibited (true) on school property, except leaving it in your vehicle (UNTRUE)." I am a teacher and I have a concealed license and I am NOT ALLOWED to leave my gun unattended in my vehicle on school property.

Now, for your comment about be allowed to OC on or inside school property, THAT IS SO UNTRUE. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CC OR OC ON OR IN SCHOOL PROPERTY AT ANY TIME. Where you get this information I don't know, but I have a friend who is a School Resource Officer as well as Skiatook PD. I have other friends that are Skiatook PD and I have never heard anyone say it is legal to OC or CC on or in school property at any time with a concealed license.

I think you missed the part of his statement where he said, "I know in Michigan..."

heavyweight_4u

I thought they amended it that you were allowed only for the purpouse of dropping off or picking up children while in the car? I know you cant leave it there for the day to work. but to obtain a sick child from school etc.. it was ok in the vechicle.

hrdware

I thought they amended it that you were allowed only for the purpouse of dropping off or picking up children while in the car? I know you cant leave it there for the day to work. but to obtain a sick child from school etc.. it was ok in the vechicle.

It can be in the car while you are dropping off or picking up as long as the car does not remain unattended.

Title 21 said:
A gun or knife designed for hunting or fishing purposes kept in a privately owned vehicle and properly displayed or stored as required by law, or a handgun carried in a vehicle pursuant to a valid handgun license authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, provided such vehicle containing said gun or knife is driven onto school property only to transport a student to and from school and such vehicle does not remain unattended on school property

So if you are picking up your sick kid, they better be able to meet you out front.

ddillman

the word "unattended" in my explanation should tell you what you need to know.

okiephlyer

Back on topic - OC'd at Rib Crib tonight. Walked right past a policeman having dinner with his family. I don't think he even noticed, in spite of the fact that I walked by with my gun/holster on the side facing him. When I walked past him as I was leaving, he finally noticed as I was at the door and watched me all the way to my car.

okiebryan

I would suggest in the strongest possible terms that you read and reread the law on this. What you are suggesting is a FELONY in the State of Oklahoma. Never park and leave your vehicle with a gun inside while on a K-12 school property in Oklahoma.

okiebryan

I went to Woodward today for a heavy tow. Stopped at Hutch's in Watonga to get a bite and a can of Starbucks wake me up. There were 3 local Watonga cops sitting at one of the tables in the center having coffee. I walked within arms reach of one of them at least 3 times while going after different things, and not a damn was given. I was very pleasantly surprised, to tell the truth. It was my first Oklahoma OC experience in front of small town police officers. Kinda expected the, "Yeah, it's legal and all, but we don't know yew round these here parts" lol

hrdware

Once again at OnCue this morning, two officers standing right beside the soda fountain as I filled up my drink. Didn't even bat an eye or make any movements to acknowledge I was there. Just stood there out of the way talking to each other like normal.

jrz_dad

Any bowling centers that are allowing guns in their business?

Just wanted to ask if anyone knows of any bowling centers that are allowing guns in the building. Here in Lawton, NONE of the centers allow it...I have tried to explain it to them and even presented the flyer to them about it as well but they are not receptive...So, does any bowling center in Oklahoma allow guns? If so, please post up...I'd like to use them as an example for our local establishments to model...thanks!

Keylock

Just wanted to ask if anyone knows of any bowling centers that are allowing guns in the building. Here in Lawton, NONE of the centers allow it...I have tried to explain it to them and even presented the flyer to them about it as well but they are not receptive...So, does any bowling center in Oklahoma allow guns? If so, please post up...I'd like to use them as an example for our local establishments to model...thanks!

You're probably just wanting to shoot the pins down. :lol:

pickupm

Mary's Liquor - Tahlequah, OK

I frequently stop in and shop at Mary's Liquor in my home town of Tahlequah, Oklahoma. At approximately 3:00 CST today I stopped there again to buy some beer for a friend of mine and his birthday get together tonight. I have open carried at this location several times without any issues. In fact I have had positive experiences with all of the staff at night, one of which is a childhood friend of mine and she clearly stated "I rather have you here carrying, than all the drunk criminals that frequently steal from us. Maybe it deters them from lifting merchandise."

Well today I didn't have as good as an experience as usual. I entered the establishment, grabbed my beer, and approached the counter. The cashier, of whom I did not catch his name, proceeds to check me out and throws in a "You know that it's about to be illegal for you to carry in any liquor store in Oklahoma?" and proceeded to tell me what he thought the law was, how it made him uncomfortable, and that this was a family establishment not some "dirty liquor store". I politely explained to him that what the law states about property owners having the right to post gun buster signs and that the law states you can not carry into an establishment that it's primary purpose is the "consumption" of alcohol and not the sale of alcohol. He continued to tell me that this "new law" was going into to place that would not allow carrying in liquor stores. He seemed rather nervous although I was being very civil and at no point raised my voice. I simply afforded him the opportunity to learn what the law actually said, since he apparently had no clue.

I have a paper I have to write now or I would be going back there immediately with the statutes in hand, a copy of the letter to businesses, and the no guns = no money cards. Hopefully, he is still there when I am finished. This is the reason I OC in a small town, to advocate my rights as a law abiding licensed carrier, to attempt to deter the spread of misinformation, and possibly having the opportunity to enlighten the misinformed.

Last edited:

jrz_dad

You're probably just wanting to shoot the pins down. :lol:

I have a 220 average so I do pretty good at "shooting them down" with my bowling ball....:lol:

I just wanted to know if ALL our centers were this way...sadly, here in Lawton, we have no choice but to leave our weapon in the vehicle while we "shoot down the pins"...

Gary S

I called apple barrel today to see about using there restaurant for our broken arrow meet and greet and they informed me they are a gun free restaurant. I will be going by there tomorrow while out and about and talk to the owner about it. Ill give him the letter i have printed out, and also show him the forum on my phone so he can see how many people plan on showing up for the meet and greet. Ill post on here what happens.