• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post your open carry experiences and encounters

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Congratulations to Oklahomans on being able to Open Carry!

So, how does it fel to be almost free? (Sorry, but I had to rub it in - OC only with a permission slip is a wonderful first step but it should not be the end of the road.)

stay safe.

hrdware

Missed the breakfast because I was sick so my first OC was at the OnCue on my way in to work.

Walked right past an LEO that was inside, he didn't even notice. No one said a thing. Got my drink and a doughnut and was on my way.

Gary S

Just open carried to quick trip nothing happened,had some double takes but that's all. The s.w.a.t. Team didn't even show.

okiephlyer

Coweta WalMart for batteries for my voice recorder. A few looks, but not a raised eyebrow in the bunch. Pretty much a non event, except that now I know that they put in self-serve lanes last week.

hrdware

First Encounter

Went to my bank, Wallgreens, and Arbys for lunch. Only had a single encounter.

My bank has signs posted so I left my firearm in the car while I ran in. Came out and started to get into the car and the following happened:

SG = Security Guard

SG: You on duty today?
Me: No
SG: Is that concealed?
SG: You know you can't carry a firearm inside the bank. We are....
Me: I didn't carry anything in the bank, I left it in the car.
SG: Oh, I'm sorry I accosted you. I have had 4 people open carry in here all ready today.

A very pleasant conversation ensued and ended up with me giving him some OKOCA brochures. Turns out the security guards have asked the bank to remove the signs to no avail.

okiephlyer

Famous Footwear next to the Target in Broken Arrow - the manager was helping me for several minutes before he noticed. His comments were very supportive and positive.
Lunch with the crowd at Trails End BBQ in Owasso, a few looks from some of the others, and a mailman that wasn't thrilled, but otherwise a great experience. Also the BBQ was good enough that I will make the trip back sometime.

C-dub

My bank has signs posted so I left my firearm in the car while I ran in. Came out and started to get into the car and the following happened:

SG = Security Guard

SG: You on duty today?
SG: Is that concealed?
SG: You know you can't carry a firearm inside the bank. We are....
Me: I didn't carry anything in the bank, I left it in the car.
SG: Oh, I'm sorry I accosted you. I have had 4 people open carry in here all ready today.

A very pleasant conversation ensued and ended up with me giving him some OKOCA brochures. Turns out the security guards have asked the bank to remove the signs to no avail.

That's funny. He actually said "accosted?" Most security folks I know wouldn't know what the word means.

Last edited:

rpyne

Time to change banks.

gprod55

Del City/Midwest City

Del City: Walmart, Radio Shack good to go. Cash Express, no go.
Midwest City: Golden Corral, Office Depot, Best Buy, Dicks Sporting Goods (just opened) good to go.
First National Bank of Midwest City, no go (No gun signs have been up forever.)
Little Axe: Country Boy Grocery Store, good to go.

hrdware

Stopped by Crest Foods in Moore on the way home. Took a little extra time to talk to a manager and tell them I appreciated the company reversing its position earlier in the year. After I told her, she glanced down and eyes got a little big when she say the Ruger P-90 I was carrying.

Then went to Circle K for a couple of drinks. On the say out I noticed a small sign posted beside the other door. :( No one said anything to me though.

Brandon9mm

Broke my open carry virginity at Panera bread tonight in owasso. Got asked if I was a cop. Got some looks from the girls sitting next to the door but other than that it wasn't bad. Hopefully the nervousness will go away pretty soon.

ethorman

My family and a friends family (also OCing) with wives and kids ate dinner at Texas Roadhouse, then shopping at Walmart in Lawton. Other than maybe a few looks no issues. We thought maybe one guy was calling the police at dinner. If so they never showed and if not then maybe just asking a friend but was focused onto us. Other than that nothing happened. We shall see tomorrow...