• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post your open carry experiences and encounters

hrdware

Just talked to a couple of officers

Went into the OnCue on Broadway in Edmond. There were a couple Edmond officers talking with the manager. Walked past them to get my drink...stood almost in front of them getting my doughnut out of the case, then went and paid. Went over and asked if they had seen any open carriers around town. Nope, just me. I said it was the biggest non-event in history, one said, "Well biggest non-event since Y2K." We laughed, I told them to have a good day and was on my way.

They didn't freak out, prone me out, or even ask for a permit.

Last edited:

hrdware

Bank of Oklahoma allows it just feel wired going in to a bank.

BancFirst does as well. It does feel a bit odd the first time or two. You will get used to it, especially if you use the same location over and over and the people get to know who you are.

okiephlyer

Durant, Main Street BBQ. Lots of looks when I came in. No bug eyes, very friendly staff, which is the norm. I do think the portions were larger than normal. All in all, a good experience.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Went into the OnCue on Broadway in Edmond. There were a couple Edmond officers talking with the manager. Walked past them to get my drink...stood almost in front of them getting my doughnut out of the case, then went and paid. Went over and asked if they had seen any open carriers around town. Nope, just me. I said it was the biggest non-event in history, one said, "Well biggest non-event since Y2K." We laughed, I told them to have a good day and was on my way.

They didn't freak out, prone me out, or even ask for a permit.

I don't know, you look kinda sketchy to me. I'd have proned you out and make sure you weren't some felon. :shocker:

hrdware

Sweet, I would post a pic of that meme of the kid with the fist pump if I knew how! :confused: I'll make a point of expressing my gratitude them next time I'm there..

While BOK allows carry, just remember that if they are inside another building that prohibits carry, it's still a no go for that branch. It just not the branch's fault.

hrdware

What if they have multiple entrances and at least one is independent of the rest of the building where carry is prohibited? Would you still consider it an issue if someone used that entrance?
I would think that the independent entrance to any business would allow carry in that business (as long as not posted) however going from that business into the larger business which does prohibit carry would be an issue for them. Just my opinion.

thegomezclan

Logan's Steakhouse

Went with my wife and one of my children to Logan's in Norman for lunch today. I was OCing and called ahead to see if they where posted on firearms. Talked to the manager and he said that they hadn't had the issue come up and that he doesn't have a problem with it and as far as he was concerned that they where going to fallow the law. We didn't one issue at all and the service and food was great as usual.

cbxer55

I have not tried as of yet. Am going to this weekend though. My wife would not allow me and said so back when the law was passed. But we have been seperated for three months now, so I am free to do as I please. Will do some running around tomorrow and try and get over my nervousness of the issue.

Originally I was not planning on doing OC, but to me there is something cool about a Kimber 1911 in a holster, with a spare mag on the other side.

Last edited:

Robert318

I went to Arby's today in Del City. The guy behind the counter put his hand out over the register to shake my hand and said "that's for the open carry" and then said he wanted a 357 and asked if mine was a glock. Not many others in the store and a few came in ordered and left so only a few looks but nothing really notable . Also went to Walgreens in Midwest city and don't think anyone noticed and if they did they didn't stare or say anything. So far Arby's, Walgreens, Mazzios, KFC, Country Boy gas station, and Loves good to go.

Pistol Packin' Honey

Eat Street issue

On the evening of November 10th, an open carrier was thrown out of an event. They had a block of downtown Tulsa closed off to traffic, in order to allow street vendors & a live band to perform. The open carrier & his wife were told to leave, because it was a "family event" and people had complained. This man was doing nothing wrong. He was simply in line with his wife to buy a cupcake, perfectly in his right to be there.
After hearing this, my husband & I met up with the guy & his wife, along with another OC'er, and we all OC'ed at the event.

We were noticed by some, I could tell by the glances to my hip. A few people commented on how "cool" it was to see us out exercising our 2nd amendment rights. Some even said they felt safer with us around. Not one person expressed a negative response.
The event coordinator approached all 5 of us, and he said that since the families were gone, he had no problem with us OC'ing. He claimed he was "all for it". But he still tried to tell us that he was within his rights to have asked the man & his wife to leave earlier.
I politely informed the man that we were on a public street. Not private property. Unless we were being disorderly or committing some crime, he had no right to make us leave.
You can't throw us out of public property. You don't own the street. He passively told me he thought differently. I told him thank you for "letting us stay", and he left us alone.

All in all, we had a good night. Ate some tacos & made some new friends. I love this community.

hrdware

I was standing in line at a Subway the other night waiting to order. A lady and her young son were standing behind me. After several minutes, the by noticed I was carrying a firearm. He said something to his mother, she asked him if he was "freaking out now" and he told her no. I laughed on the inside.

russcook

Went with my wife and one of my children to Logan's in Norman for lunch today. I was OCing and called ahead to see if they where posted on firearms. Talked to the manager and he said that they hadn't had the issue come up and that he doesn't have a problem with it and as far as he was concerned that they where going to fallow the law. We didn't one issue at all and the service and food was great as usual.

My wife and I went to Logan's yesterday, also. We went for dinner, and also called ahead. No stares, no problems. A great experience.

russcook

Thrown out of Tiffany's Restaurant in Noble, OK

I own Cooks Calibers gun store in Noble, OK. Been going to Tiffany's Restaurant on Saturday mornings for months as I was fixing up the rental space to open. Been open for 10 weeks now. Yesterday afternoon around 1:30 I went over to Tiffany's to discuss their gun-buster sign that just recently went up. They were closed, but cleaning up inside, and I had left me gun behind, since they were posted. They let me in, and I asked the owner if I could discuss his gun-buster sign with him. He went ballistic, started cussing, stated that guns don't belong in a restaurant with women and children, said it was his establishment and his rules, etc , and threw me out.

Later that afternoon, a Noble police officer came into my store to inquire about a gun. I related my experience to him, and he stated that the owner has a long history of being hot-headed, and erratic. I'm always polite, and have NEVER been asked to leave an establishment before.

What a day.

RugerP95DC

Russ,

I will no longer eat at Tiffany's what a shame they treated a fellow buisness owner like that, maybe we need to have a big OC event at Kendalls since they are right across the street from Tiffany's

Last edited: