• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post your open carry experiences and encounters

RugerP95DC

Here is where I have OC'd since Nov 1st that I can remember, here goes, Walmart, Walgreens, Rudy's BBq Hwy 9 Norman, Academy 240&Walker, Academy Norman, Dicks Sporting Goods Moore, Beverly's OKC, Fontana's Moore, Chili's Moore, ONCUE Norman, Kim's Corner Lexington, Just for Therapy Noble, Terry's Market Noble, Faithful Prepper Noble, Big Daddy's BBQ Noble, Loyds Superette Noble, Oreilys Auto Parts Noble, Poor Boys Noble, Panda Garden Norman, Petsmart Norman, Supercuts Norman, I am sure I am forgetting a bunch of places, but those are what comes to mind right now :banana:

ddillman

Not sure when it will happen.....

I obtained my CCL 6 years ago. I renewed it last year for 10 years, so it doesn't expire until 2021. The only thing I have done so far is carry my weapon in my truck, on weekends and vacations. Seeing that I am a high school educator, we all know I am not allowed to carry it to school nor leave it in my truck concealed during the school day. So, for the majority of the time, my gun stays at home. I am not sure when the first time will be that I carry it on my hip. I am frequently in Owasso and Tulsa on the weekends but I have never even carried my gun concealed on my body. I usually leave it in the truck. So, is there anybody like me? Someone that has NEVER carried concealed on their body and now open carry is here and can show it but hasn't?

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
I obtained my CCL 6 years ago. I renewed it last year for 10 years, so it doesn't expire until 2021. The only thing I have done so far is carry my weapon in my truck, on weekends and vacations. Seeing that I am a high school educator, we all know I am not allowed to carry it to school nor leave it in my truck concealed during the school day. So, for the majority of the time, my gun stays at home. I am not sure when the first time will be that I carry it on my hip. I am frequently in Owasso and Tulsa on the weekends but I have never even carried my gun concealed on my body. I usually leave it in the truck. So, is there anybody like me? Someone that has NEVER carried concealed on their body and now open carry is here and can show it but hasn't?

Man, we really need to get this changed. It's unconscionable that our State causes you to choose between committing a felony and to be unarmed going back and forth to work.

To your original question, I'd recommend that you get together with a couple of other members in your area and meet up in Starbucks or something. It will make that first time carrying feel so much more comfortable.

ddillman

Man, we really need to get this changed. It's unconscionable that our State causes you to choose between committing a felony and to be unarmed going back and forth to work.

To your original question, I'd recommend that you get together with a couple of other members in your area and meet up in Starbucks or something. It will make that first time carrying feel so much more comfortable.

I dont think this will ever get changed. Weapons on school grounds will never become something a community or state will let happen.

Robert318

I dont think this will ever get changed. Weapons on school grounds will never become something a community or state will let happen.

Please excuse my sarcasm but if they had half a brain they would allow it for those that have permits. At no time in the past has the banning on campus ever stopped the almost countless times that people with ill intentions from taking guns on campus and killing students and faculty. It only makes our children vulnerable by effectively telling the criminals or those bad guys that everyone is unarmed.

ddillman

Please excuse my sarcasm but if they had half a brain they would allow it for those that have permits. At no time in the past has the banning on campus ever stopped the almost countless times that people with ill intentions from taking guns on campus and killing students and faculty. It only makes our children vulnerable by effectively telling the criminals or those bad guys that everyone is unarmed.

I just don't think I would ever be able to carry it with me on school grounds with the job I have as a teacher/administrator. And we all know just having one in your vehicle on school grounds does you no good when you cant get to it in case of emergency. Right?

Robert318

I just don't think I would ever be able to carry it with me on school grounds with the job I have as a teacher/administrator. And we all know just having one in your vehicle on school grounds does you no good when you cant get to it in case of emergency. Right?

Yeah well even if you could get to it and get it out of whatever type of lock box you may use, actually using it may not be a smart choice with so many innocent people around. But to and from is a different story, what if you want to do some shopping after work or something, etc. But the ban in and of itself still tells the bad guy everyone is unarmed saved the single officer that's preoccupied in some back room or indisposed.

I've done some work at several schools in the past and have been able to go unchecked and unsupervised, which quite frankly scares me when I think of my own children. Security at most schools is very poor to say least and the less advertising of it (having an out right ban) the better imo.

cbxer55

I work on Tinker AFB, so I am in the same boat. Cannot take a gun with me and keep it in the vehicle. They do random inspections, and even though I've been there three years and not had one inspection, it only takes one time and KAPPOW, you're outta there. So I rarely have the ability to have one on me as well. But having said that, I only go directly to and from work, no stops in between, and I work night shift. When I am on personal time, I carry a Kimber 1911 in .45ACP on me everywhere I go, on my hip. Been carrying it concealed since 2003. Have not tried OC yet, and since it is cold outside as of now, it's not likely I will until spring. Wearing a jacket is an effective concealment. At least I do not have to worry if the holster shows under the jacket, or if it shows when I bend over. Going to be doing some shopping later today, and will be using an OWB holster instead of an IWB.

Gary S

I personally feel if they don't want any Jo Jo off the street to carry into a school, or on property fine, i can see some reasons. But least let the teachers that we already trust or children with, and are licensed to least carry.
But on another note, i live in tulsa, broken arrow and i know there are a few members of this forum as well as okoca, who also live in the area or close to it. If you come here on the weekends and want to start carrying open just let us know and im sure some will join you for lunch, coffee, what ever to help you get comfortable.

okiephlyer

Did you think about off campus parking? Is there a neighborhood across the street that you could park in for the day? A little walk to start and end your day might be just the thing.

ddillman

Did you think about off campus parking? Is there a neighborhood across the street that you could park in for the day? A little walk to start and end your day might be just the thing.

I have thought about that idea, but there isn't any parking like that near the school. There is one place next to where my room is but it is an accounting office (I think) and I figured it would be weird to ask and explain why I would want to park there. What do you think?

ethorman

Two good wins for Lawton OK. Couple days ago I received a call from the Golden Corral here in town the owner informed me that they will allow guns inside their restaurant. He is a huge 2nd amendment supporter but did have some concerns that open carry would draw business away from him. After talking to corp and thinking about it, he has made his decision and OC is a go.

Second I just received a phone call from Applebee's here in town and they sent my letter to corp and someone came down to talk to the manager and they have also decided to remove their signs and allow open carry in their restaurant. I am excited to see that business are listening to the legal carriers and hopefully we can keep the changes going.

Also I carried for the last two days now with no issues or anyone saying anything. Actually it has been pretty quiet. A group of us met in Starbucks (7 people OCing) with no issues other than a few weird looks from some other customers. All in all, been a pretty good week!

cbxer55

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I wonder if those decisions affect every restaurant in the state, or just the ones you talked to? I do not know if those are chains, or individually owned.

Last edited:

ethorman

Funny thing is I believe each franchise owner has the right to post what they want, however corp still holds some control over what image is being portrayed by the business name. (Ie: no one cares its a franchise they just see Applebee's or wherever is against guns), therefore they advise them on what the best decision is for them to make and if needed may step in. If that makes sense.

It may be a case by case deal, seemed Golden Corral in Lawton only called corp for their advise whereas Applebee's corp came to town to make the decision to remove the signs. Interesting...

okiebryan

Yeah well even if you could get to it and get it out of whatever type of lock box you may use, actually using it may not be a smart choice with so many innocent people around. But to and from is a different story, what if you want to do some shopping after work or something, etc. But the ban in and of itself still tells the bad guy everyone is unarmed saved the single officer that's preoccupied in some back room or indisposed.

I've done some work at several schools in the past and have been able to go unchecked and unsupervised, which quite frankly scares me when I think of my own children. Security at most schools is very poor to say least and the less advertising of it (having an out right ban) the better imo.

Even though this all reeks of anti type "OMG think of what might happen" hysteria, it's almost beside the point. Hundreds of thousands of Oklahomans work at businesses that do not allow them to be armed for their own protection at work. Our legislature decided that it was good public policy to allow those who have handgun licenses to be able to commute back and forth to their place of employment while armed for their self protection, and extended them protection from employment policies that would disallow that practice. In fact, other than prisons, federal facilities like TAFB, and K-12 schools are the only places that I know of where lawful employees cannot lock up their handgun in their car. The prison example is just the State DOC saying they are above the law, and the Federal issue is out of our control. That leaves K-12 schools. There is no good reason other than "OMG THIS THING THAT HASN'T HAPPENED MIGHT HAPPEN" hysteria to continue this ban. School employees deserve the ability to protect themselves on the way to and from work as much as anyone else.

If you could point to school shootings that happened in a place where guns weren't banned, then you might have a point. In fact, the exact inverse is true.

okiebryan

I have thought about that idea, but there isn't any parking like that near the school. There is one place next to where my room is but it is an accounting office (I think) and I figured it would be weird to ask and explain why I would want to park there. What do you think?

No need to tell everything you know. Just ask permission, and tell them that you have had problems parking st the school. That's true, and sufficiently vague.

Robert318

Even though this all reeks of anti type "OMG think of what might happen" hysteria, it's almost beside the point. Hundreds of thousands of Oklahomans work at businesses that do not allow them to be armed for their own protection at work. Our legislature decided that it was good public policy to allow those who have handgun licenses to be able to commute back and forth to their place of employment while armed for their self protection, and extended them protection from employment policies that would disallow that practice. In fact, other than prisons, federal facilities like TAFB, and K-12 schools are the only places that I know of where lawful employees cannot lock up their handgun in their car. The prison example is just the State DOC saying they are above the law, and the Federal issue is out of our control. That leaves K-12 schools. There is no good reason other than "OMG THIS THING THAT HASN'T HAPPENED MIGHT HAPPEN" hysteria to continue this ban. School employees deserve the ability to protect themselves on the way to and from work as much as anyone else.

If you could point to school shootings that happened in a place where guns weren't banned, then you might have a point. In fact, the exact inverse is true.

I'm thinking there is a misunderstanding here Bryan or are you reinforcing my post? Because your last statement is basically what I am saying. No ban has ever stopped the unthinkable from happening but actually done just the opposite and made it easier and or more inviting to those with ill intentions.

My comment about actually using your weapon if you could get to it is referring to the ever present responsibility to be aware of people down range if you employ your weapon and can only be seen at that time.

And I agree that school employees should have the right to carry to work but also anyone else that can lawfully carry just about anywhere else should also be allowed to carry and store in a vehicle on school grounds. I believe ones safety is their own responsibility and no one has the right to deny someone of their right to be safe.

I do agree that business have certain rights but don't agree that they should be able to deny one their right to self defense for their own life or affects by some rule or policy that superficially makes them safe. And not everyone can just walk out and go work somewhere else that's sometimes easier said than done not to mention what that would do to the unemployment line.