• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post your open carry experiences and encounters

Cavsgt78

Finally got my SDA license in the mail the other day. I went out to a movie today and was open carrying. I looked for signs at Tinseltown since I remembered that the shooting in Colorado was a cinemark. I didn't see any signs outside as I got my tickets through the right-most booth. The cashier looked at my pistol but said nothing. When I went in to give my ticket to the employee the sign on the podium said "weapons prohibited". There wasn't a graphic, and it was with a bunch of other info. I ended up talking to a manager and showed him how I walked in. There were no signs visible. He pointed out that they were on the side of the ticket booth(out of the view of U.S. customers of course) still they were not the "gun buster" signs I'm used to seeing. It just said weapons prohibited. The manager told me I would have to lock the pistol in my vehicle.

After my movie I went to a couple pawn shops to look for a small TV for the kids to watch movies on during our upcoming road trip. The last one I stopped at was the extra cash pawn and auto pawn near nw 10th and Macarthur. After being in the store for a good 10 minutes a heavy set guy with a beard and ball cap came up to me and said that if I was going to be in the store much longer to go and lock my pistol in my truck. He said that they keep loaded firearms behind the counter. I told him that I didn't see a sign. He pointed to the door and told me that it was on the door. I told him that I didn't see it. After talking to him for a few minutes I asked him to show me his sign and he walked over to the door and showed me a white sign with a lot of information on it. Somewhere in the middle it talked about bringing in firearms unloaded, but from what I could tell that applied to selling firearms or pawning them, not to licensed carry. He refused to move on the issue. I told him I wouldn't be back. He told me that was "just fine".

You would think the state of Oklahoma would make these people have some uniformity on their signs. At least then we could tell who to boycott.

Not a good day for my first open carry day.

On a positive note, glad I finally registered on this site. I usually just read.

Last edited:

Liberty-or-Death

Do signs carry the weight of law in OK? They don't here in VA. As such, I don't look for or ask about signs. I conceal at theaters or where the likelihood of being hassled is high, otherwise, I OC. Have never been asked to stowe it or to leave.

My thought on sign regulation is, the muddier the posting, the more liberty we have, the better it is.

Cavsgt78

Do signs carry the weight of law in OK? They don't here in VA. As such, I don't look for or ask about signs. I conceal at theaters or where the likelihood of being hassled is high, otherwise, I OC. Have never been asked to stowe it or to leave.

My thought on sign regulation is, the muddier the posting, the more liberty we have, the better it is.

When I lived in other states the sign had to be a specific sign. Here the state of Oklahoma seems to say the owner of the private property can restrict our right to bear arms. But yet if I was a Christian baker and a gay couple wanted me to make their wedding cake and I refused, I would be discriminating against them being as my business was open to the public.

mynameiscolb

Signs are pretty much just a precursor to what the manager or owner will tell you. They hold no real weight. If you carry into a business that is posted, you are not breaking any law until you are asked to leave / leave your firearm outside. If you don't comply, it's trespassing.

mynameiscolb

Finally got my SDA license in the mail the other day. I went out to a movie today and was open carrying. I looked for signs at Tinseltown since I remembered that the shooting in Colorado was a cinemark. I didn't see any signs outside as I got my tickets through the right-most booth. The cashier looked at my pistol but said nothing. When I went in to give my ticket to the employee the sign on the podium said "weapons prohibited". There wasn't a graphic, and it was with a bunch of other info. I ended up talking to a manager and showed him how I walked in. There were no signs visible. He pointed out that they were on the side of the ticket booth(out of the view of U.S. customers of course) still they were not the "gun buster" signs I'm used to seeing. It just said weapons prohibited. The manager told me I would have to lock the pistol in my vehicle.

After my movie I went to a couple pawn shops to look for a small TV for the kids to watch movies on during our upcoming road trip. The last one I stopped at was the extra cash pawn and auto pawn near nw 10th and Macarthur. After being in the store for a good 10 minutes a heavy set guy with a beard and ball cap came up to me and said that if I was going to be in the store much longer to go and lock my pistol in my truck. He said that they keep loaded firearms behind the counter. I told him that I didn't see a sign. He pointed to the door and told me that it was on the door. I told him that I didn't see it. After talking to him for a few minutes I asked him to show me his sign and he walked over to the door and showed me a white sign with a lot of information on it. Somewhere in the middle it talked about bringing in firearms unloaded, but from what I could tell that applied to selling firearms or pawning them, not to licensed carry. He refused to move on the issue. I told him I wouldn't be back. He told me that was "just fine".

You would think the state of Oklahoma would make these people have some uniformity on their signs. At least then we could tell who to boycott.

Not a good day for my first open carry day.

On a positive note, glad I finally registered on this site. I usually just read.

A lot of those pawn shops (on MacArthur) don't last. They don't approach customers, and they have poor people skills. Add in the fact that few carry any firearms, and some restrict your 2A right, they go out of business pretty quick.

That being said, I carried in one close to that same store, a few days ago. I was browsing for at least 15 minutes, and none of the employees even acknowledged my presence. No hello. No can I help you. Nada. They didn't sell firearms either. This is the line I used (and I use it on anti 2A businesses now):

"I was planning on spending a lot of money here today, but I'll just go to your competitor. Have a nice day. "

Cavsgt78

A lot of those pawn shops (on MacArthur) don't last. They don't approach customers, and they have poor people skills. Add in the fact that few carry any firearms, and some restrict your 2A right, they go out of business pretty quick.

That being said, I carried in one close to that same store, a few days ago. I was browsing for at least 15 minutes, and none of the employees even acknowledged my presence. No hello. No can I help you. Nada. They didn't sell firearms either. This is the line I used (and I use it on anti 2A businesses now):

"I was planning on spending a lot of money here today, but I'll just go to your competitor. Have a nice day. "

Yep, that's pretty much what I said. He wasn't carrying and he seemed kind of scared to talk to me. First he came up to me and asked if everything was ok. Then he walked around me (probably getting a closer look on my carry side as my shirt was over the top of my holster). He pretended to fiddle with a tv on the shelf and then asked me something again. I told him I was good and he started to walk away. Then he turned around and said, "Hey man if you're going to be in here much longer I need you to put your gun out in your truck". That's when we talked about the sign etc. I like to make the pawn shop rounds pretty regularly. It's kind of a hobby often times I buy things more than I browse. I won't be going back to that store again.

Cavsgt78

Signs are pretty much just a precursor to what the manager or owner will tell you. They hold no real weight. If you carry into a business that is posted, you are not breaking any law until you are asked to leave / leave your firearm outside. If you don't comply, it's trespassing.

Good to know

mynameiscolb

I've had my SDA a few weeks, and I'm now to the point where I open carry every day, everywhere it is allowed.

Harkins Cinema in Bricktown: no issues. Nobody said a word. Very polite staff. Jurassic World was decent.

Starbucks: I believe that corporate is anti-OC, the location in bricktown is not, and was happy to have me as a customer.

Crest Foods (Edmond): no issue, other than a concerned look from a soccer mom type, loading groceries into her SUV. An Edmond police officer passed me way inside. He smiled and nodded.

Cajun King: been there a few times now, and they love having me. Saw another gentleman OCing there, as I ate.

Earls BBQ: no issues

I've yet to have anyone make any negative comments, or ask why I carry. An employee at Jersey Mikes said "nice sidearm", and he was waiting on his SDA.

It's been pretty uneventful, and I like it. I've walked away from a couple of businesses due to gun buster signs (IHOP, Ingrids), and obviously I had to disarm before entering the county courthouse. But all in all, Oklahoma seems to be a good place for OC

papa bear

I've had my SDA a few weeks, and I'm now to the point where I open carry every day, everywhere it is allowed.

Harkins Cinema in Bricktown: no issues. Nobody said a word. Very polite staff. Jurassic World was decent.

Starbucks: I believe that corporate is anti-OC, the location in bricktown is not, and was happy to have me as a customer.

Crest Foods (Edmond): no issue, other than a concerned look from a soccer mom type, loading groceries into her SUV. An Edmond police officer passed me way inside. He smiled and nodded.

Cajun King: been there a few times now, and they love having me. Saw another gentleman OCing there, as I ate.

I've yet to have anyone make any negative comments, or ask why I carry. An employee at Jersey Mikes said "nice sidearm", and he was waiting on his SDA.

It's been pretty uneventful, and I like it. I've walked away from a couple of businesses due to gun buster signs (IHOP, Ingrids), and obviously I had to disarm before entering the county courthouse. But all in all, Oklahoma seems to be a good place for OC

just let you know Star Bucks is not anti gun. they have just asked that you don't bring your gun in:rolleyes:. this was just language to get the knee jerk prohibitionist off their back. as far as i know i have never seen a star buck posted (doesn't mean there aren't any), but i have never been asked to leave. of course I very seldom go to a star bucks, my coffee at home is a lot better

BTW, I am terrible at initialism. what does " SDA" mean?? Thanks

Last edited:

solus

papa, do not believe SDA as being used in context with reference to the OP's firearm means Seven Day Adventist!! :shocker:

you can scratch that off your possible meanings.

ipse

mynameiscolb

papa, do not believe SDA as being used in context with reference to the OP's firearm means Seven Day Adventist!! :shocker:

you can scratch that off your possible meanings.

ipse

just let you know Star Bucks is not anti gun. they have just asked that you don't bring your gun in:rolleyes:. this was just language to get the knee jerk prohibitionist off their back. as far as i know i have never seen a star buck posted (doesn't mean there aren't any), but i have never been asked to leave. of course I very seldom go to a star bucks, my coffee at home is a lot better

BTW, I am terrible at initialism. what does " SDA" mean?? Thanks
Thanks for the clarification on Starbucks. I've carried in 2 separate locations with no issues.

SDA refers to Self Defense Act license, which is required to carry a loaded concealed or unconcealed handgun, in the state of Oklahoma.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Presume that a SDA in OK would utilize SDA in SB when OC or CC for SD - MIR? :)

Last edited:

solus

Presume that a SDA in OK would utilize SDA in SB when OC or CC for SD - MIR? :)

grape, we will talk about your heritage or lack therein with your interjection of the gaggle of initials... :shocker: (now you're just being a SA!! :lol: and proud of yourself aren't you!!)

ipse

okvallier

I've been carrying for a few years here in OKC and quite often OC and I've never had even so much as a second look from a soccer mom type. I'd say they've accepted the 2A around here pretty well. I did not know however, that Harkins would allow OC. I typically don't go to theaters but I may have to go check it out.

mynameiscolb

I've been carrying for a few years here in OKC and quite often OC and I've never had even so much as a second look from a soccer mom type. I'd say they've accepted the 2A around here pretty well. I did not know however, that Harkins would allow OC. I typically don't go to theaters but I may have to go check it out.
Yeah, I was fully expecting a gun buster sign at Harkins, or to be denied entry. But neither happened. The staff just had big smiles and were incredibly friendly. I also went during the afternoon, on a weekday. So the place wasn't exactly packed.

I think you hit the nail on the head about 2A acceptance here. Seems like everyone is used to seeing OC, and support the 2A in general.

papa bear

Yeah, I was fully expecting a gun buster sign at Harkins, or to be denied entry. But neither happened. The staff just had big smiles and were incredibly friendly. I also went during the afternoon, on a weekday. So the place wasn't exactly packed.

I think you hit the nail on the head about 2A acceptance here. Seems like everyone is used to seeing OC, and support the 2A in general.

Sorry MYNAME, but if you have to have a permission slip from your government to have a gun. Then you have no 2ndA rights. You are just a subject of your government.

Edit:

Last edited:

mynameiscolb

Sorry MYNAME, but if you have to have a permission slip from your government to have a gun. Then you have no 2ndA rights. You are just a subject of your government.

Edit:
This discussion is about OC experiences in the state of Oklahoma. If you would like to discuss the validity of a license to carry a loaded firearm in our state, I'd be happy to participate in another thread.

And yes, I am in favor of constitutional carry.

okiephlyer

One more time for Tuesday in the Park at BA main street park. Good music, great weather, a few google eyes and won some money from AVB Bank. All in all, a great night.