• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

President visits Madison

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

AaronS wrote:
You do not have MUCH choice (I have posted my home address on this forum a few times, so I guess you could come down and try to hang me).
Isn't this a little over board? Aaron, you and I have disagreed on a lot of things and I still respect your right to stand up for yourself. But this kind of tells us all that maybe your maturity level isn't very high. I am not trying to insult you here, it is just shocking to me that you of all people would have posted such a comment.

Yooper

imported post

AaronS wrote:

I do not care if you want to call me liberal. It will not be the first time on this site. I can live with it. I do not vote on any party line. I am not a member of any party. You have to try to understand, I am not on the right or left. You also say "It really seams like you are ignoring many facts about our current president." I have to respond with "it looks to me like you have forgotten your past Presidents actions".

Fox is not showing a "different" side, they make the news, to show the news.

Metalman383, you post; One of the best quotes I have seen "If your not outraged, you are not paying attention". I used to say this same thing every time Bush-2 was on TV talking...

Nutczak you post; "...I am one of the most racist MF'ers you'll ever wanna meet." Thanks for letting me know. That's all I needed to hear. I will do my best to remember this, when I read your posts. I could only hope the other users of this forum will do the same. I guess you and I will never be best friends, oh well. I will still do my best to protect your rights. Hope you can live with that. You do not have MUCH choice (I have posted my home address on this forum a few times, so I guess you could come down and try to hang me).
Going to have to disagree with you on that one. Which "news" have they made up?
Would anyone have ever known that Van Jones was a self described communist radical if it wasn't for Fox news? Would we know that Cass Sunstein is a major animal rights activist, who by the way believes animals should be able to sue people in court if it wasn't for Fox news? Would we know that the White House Communications Director, Anita Dunn, said that one of her favorite political philosophers was Mao Tse Tung?

Also, remember when CNN FAKED a story regarding "assault" weapons, and NRA EVP Wayne Lappiere called them on it?

Remember when NBC aired a story in which GM trucks that had side gas tanks would explode during a broadside collision? Remember the video they showed? Did you know they had to rig the truck to explode because they couldn't get it to explode otherwise?

Remember when CBS reported documents about Pres. Bush, and later admitted that they MADE THEM UP?

Remember when ABC recently ran their huge anti-gun story regarding the usefullness of guns in self defense? Picking kids who have little, if any, training with a handgun to be the "good" guys, and a professional firearms combat trainer as the "bad" guy, well....if you saw the story, or even if you didn't, you can guess how that turned out.

I'm not saying that Fox news is a saint by any means, but every news agency makes up news. While most (CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC) lean to the left (or in the case of MSNBC, are all the way left), Fox leans to the right. I haven't seen where FOX has deliberately FAKED a story, though I have seen them get things wrong.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

marshaul wrote:
Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Oh goody. Me too. I'm a 'racist' and I know what the word means. I am also a culture-ist.
What does "racist" mean?
A believer in the hypothesis that genetics provides an inherent hierarchy of human capability. We need to observe some conventions while throwing around these single- and double-quotes. Single-quotes may be used to denote a word used in a special sense, while double-quotes should indicate a direct quotation of another.

I believe that there is a hierarchy of cultures' capability.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Aaron, I could explain several things that may or may not open your eyes a little bit, but this is not the proper thread, or the forum for it.

I will simply say that I am proud of my heritage, And I want to forwards its existence.

I am sure you are proud of your own heritage too, is that racist?

But why is it when a caucasion does or says anything to show they are proud of their heritage, they are labeled as a racist?
When the last time you sawthe White Music Awards on White entertainment television?
Whyis it that the Black Panther organization is openly accepted on college campuses around the country when at the same time find me one single organization that promotes pride in students white heritage that is accepted anywhere in the country?

The term "Anti-racism" has somehow been twisted around to mean "Anti-White".

If you are able to comprehend what I am saying, you may have a chance at understanding how the word "Racist" has been twisted and is understood by so many today tomean bad thing.

Diversity is not the natural order of things, it is a constructed theory that has shown by it's failures that it just does not work.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

marshaul wrote:
Oh goody.  Me too.  I'm a 'racist' and I know what the word means.  I am also a culture-ist.
What does "racist" mean?
A believer in the hypothesis that genetics provides an inherent hierarchy of human capability.  We need to observe some conventions while throwing around these single- and double-quotes.  Single-quotes may be used to denote a word used in a special sense, while double-quotes should indicate a direct quotation of another.

I believe that there is a hierarchy of cultures' capability.
First of all, your convention is a stylistic choice (some prefer to only use single quotes on lone characters, or when nesting). It should be clear from context which sort of quote is intended (this is why there is no universal convention, even within the States).

Secondly, I agree that there is an "inherent hierarchy of human capability", but see no basis for correlating such a hierarchy along the divisions of race, an idea that would seem necessarily implied by the term "racism".

As for culture, I consider a culture more advanced (and thus of greater value) based upon a single criterion: to what extent does that culture succeed in minimizing aggression, and what proportion of its citizens genuinely subscribe to something compatible with the Principle of Nonaggression? I really don't care about anything else, as much as I *like* my own culture.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Aaron, I could explain several things that may or may not open your eyes a little bit, but this is not the proper thread, or the forum for it.

I will simply say that I am proud of my heritage, And I want to forwards its existence.

I am sure you are proud of your own heritage too, is that racist?

But why is it when a caucasion does or says anything to show they are proud of their heritage, they are labeled as a racist?
When the last time you saw the White Music Awards on White entertainment television?
Why is it that the Black Panther organization is openly accepted on college campuses around the country when at the same time  find me one single organization that promotes pride in students white heritage that is accepted anywhere in the country?

The term "Anti-racism" has somehow been twisted around to mean "Anti-White".

If you are able to comprehend what I am saying, you may have a chance at understanding how the word "Racist" has been twisted and is understood by so many today to mean bad thing.

Diversity is not the natural order of things, it is a constructed theory that has shown by it's failures that it just does not work.
How does "being proud of one's heritage" imply "racism", or refute "diversity"?

What is the point of being proud in one's heritage without diversity?

"Ooh, look at me, I'm a white European, same as everybody else! Woo hoo! I'm so proud!"

I bet you $5 that, without diversity, you wouldn't give one crap about your heritage. :p

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

marshaul wrote:
(this is why there is no universal convention, even within the States).
MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers, 3rd Ed, Gibaldi and Achtert has 30 entries specifying proper use of quotation marks. I used this through undergraduate liberal arts in college and a raggedy ass 1988 edition still is on the top shelf right.

The Elements of Grammar, Shertzer, has 14 entries.

There are quite a number of specialized style manuals, including American Physical Society and, my curse, the GPO Style Manual with two dozen quotation mark entries http://www.gpoaccess.gov/stylemanual/index.html

Let's see about legal style manuals...

The Redbook: A Manual on Legal Style,
The Elements of Legal Style
The Winning Brief
, Legal Writing in Plain English,
A Dictionary of Modern Usage

You may deny the requirement to use a style manual but I promise that if an editor requires it you'll do it over until it fits. Some of my work was so rigidly controlled that we were not allowed to move text in software but were required to copy an approved manual page and paste the needed words into the working document.

The Xerox Brand machine that I used was about fifteen feet long, held ten reams in each of three paper drawers and shook the building when it ran.

ETA another story. We hired a Clemson 'engineer' that sucked and BS'd his way to supervisory nuclear engineer in jig time. I was transcribing his notes into a proposal and had to correct "for all intensive purposes" to 'for all intents and purposes'. He was shortly snit-canned for playing mainframe-computer games on after hours OT. Good damn riddance.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Print this out. Put it away. Re-open it in 2013.

We will see little anti-gun talk or action from Obamanation for the first four years.His plate will be full of Afganistan, Iraq and the economy. If all goes to plan each of those issues should be pretty well resolved by 2012. They will be resolved by then because Obama will do all he can legally and officially do to resolve them. They are critical to his re-election. He is also aware that if he is to win re-election it is critical that he doesn't furthur irritate the gun owners of the country. He is also well aware that it is too soon after the Supreme Court ruling on Heller to appear anti-Supreme Court. Rest assured that if he is elected again in 2012 he will go after our guns with a passion. He won't be elligible for re-election in 2016 so he will have nothing to lose. He will have no need to fear the gun right advocates. The Supreme Court ruling in Heller and the upcoming ruling next summer will be fading in most peoples memories.He can let it all hang out and go after our guns with a vengeance. Mark my words. It will happen.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My MLA handbook doesn't differentiate.

The only mention it makes, period, of single quotes is when contained within double quotes.

I loathe MLA anyway. It's ugly as sin. I never use it in my own personal writing.

gbu28

imported post

In the interest of actual facts instead of rhetoric:

Food Safety Czar
Cybersecurity Czar
Regulatory Czar
Aids Czar
Manufacturing Czar
Intelligence Czar
Bird-Flu Czar
Katrina Czar

All of these and more: Started by George W.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/The-Truth-About-Czars/

edit: this is a much better link, and non-partisan
http://www.factcheck.org/2009/09/czar-search/

As far as Fox news being Fair & Balanced? Not quite.
Fox recently responded which talent/shows were their "news" shows and which were the opinion/commentary shows. Not one of the well known shows (the Glenn Becks, The Sean Hannity's) made the news list. All the popular ones people tend to quote from are the commentary shows. The news anchors I had never heard of before, thus I can't repeat them back here since I can't recall them.

Also, there was some discussion about Fox News not making up stories or pushing agendas. Absolutely false! There is tons of evidence of this available. You just need to be willing to look.

I don't blame anyone on either side for this problem of bashing the other side. It's hard-wired into all of us that we determine who we like and who we don't like and thereafter look for evidence which supports our positions. We need to get beyond that.

I did after I voted for George W. and shortly thereafter the GOP used 9/11 at every opportunity to instill fear in Americans by constantly telling us how the terrorists were going to get us unless we let the government do whatever they felt was needed. Uh-oh, orange alert! orange alert! Better vote Republican and we'll be safe again.

And as I've stated before, I voted for Obama this time around. I can't say that I'm thrilled yet. I didn't like the bailouts from George W or Obama. I'm not thrilled about the health plan.

But I AM tap-dancing to the moon that Palin the twit crawled back into her hole.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm surprised at how so many people must have fallen asleep during their political sciences classes. There seems to be little knowledge about the separation of powers and the roles of the various political offices. For example the president has limited law making powers. he can issue executive orders but beyond that the president's powers are, for the most part, limited to pressure and influence. He of course can sign into laws bills passed by congress and he can veto bills he doesn't agree with, but even the power of veto isn't absolute. Congress has the power to override any presidential veto. It is congress that has the power. It is congress that makes the laws. It is congress that sends us to war. It is congress that approves or dissaproves the federal budget. It is congress that approves ad hoc expenditures such as the bank bailouts, health care, stimulus packages, auto industry bailouts, all at our expense. The president can not make any of those things happen without theagreement of congress. Obama is finding that out. During his campaign he said he was going to fix everything that is wrong in Washington D.C.. He is finding out that words are easier than deeds. Yet when things get fouled up we voters put all the blame on the president and think that the only way to fix the situationis to elect a new president. Then we go ahead and re-elect the incompetents in congress that caused the problems in the first place.

Yooper

imported post

Lammie wrote:
I'm surprised at how so many people must have fallen asleep during their political sciences classes. There seems to be little knowledge about the separation of powers and the roles of the various political offices. For example the president has limited law making powers. he can issue executive orders but beyond that the president's powers are, for the most part, limited to pressure and influence. He of course can sign into laws bills passed by congress and he can veto bills he doesn't agree with, but even the power of veto isn't absolute. Congress has the power to override any presidential veto. It is congress that has the power. It is congress that makes the laws. It is congress that sends us to war. It is congress that approves or dissaproves the federal budget. It is congress that approves ad hoc expenditures such as the bank bailouts, health care, stimulus packages, auto industry bailouts, all at our expense. The president can not make any of those things happen without theagreement of congress. Obama is finding that out. During his campaign he said he was going to fix everything that is wrong in Washington D.C.. He is finding out that words are easier than deeds. Yet when things get fouled up we voters put all the blame on the president and think that the only way to fix the situationis to elect a new president. Then we go ahead and re-elect the incompetents in congress that caused the problems in the first place.
I agree with you, but if we demanded that our representatives stick to their jobs as outlined by the constitution they would not be working on bail outs, health care, stimulus packages, or anything else. They all clearly violate the constitution.

Thundar

imported post

marshaul wrote:
My MLA handbook doesn't differentiate.

The only mention it makes, period, of single quotes is when contained within double quotes.

I loathe MLA anyway. It's ugly as sin. I never use it in my own personal writing.
MLA = English Composition for Dummies

bigdaddy1

imported post

2A asside Aaron, can you tell me what he has done for our country?

Dont try to tell me about what he is TRYING to do, but what he has done. I do not have any faith in this man, and beleive that his policies and spending will through this country into a financial state that will make the great depression seem like a picinic.

On second thought, lets not get into a political discussion here. You are entiltled to your opinion, however scewed it may be. (slight jab there ;) )

AaronS

imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
2A asside Aaron, can you tell me what he has done for our country?

Dont try to tell me about what he is TRYING to do, but what he has done. I do not have any faith in this man, and beleive that his policies and spending will through this country into a financial state that will make the great depression seem like a picinic.

On second thought, lets not get into a political discussion here. You are entiltled to your opinion, however scewed it may be. (slight jab there ;) )

We had the Bush twins for years, and I still do not know what good came of that...

I think this is a very good question. Please ask again in three years.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

he, Obama YOUR Messiah & high exalted one , hasn't done any anti gun stuff yet, because he CAN'T.
Non of THEM want to touch it, because then they all lose their jobs, come midterm elections. Now after the Midterms, they might go after Assault weapons, if they can keep all their people, but I got this little feeling they are going to lose abunch of seats, in the house & the senate & they won't have the power no more.....all because Obama your Messiah, has done more to DESTROY THE FABRIC of this country that ANY other President before him, just one example......he has spent more tax payers moola in his first 10 months in office, than ALL the other presidents combined before him ....that really really bad & you actually admit to voting for his sorrrry asss , that still gets me.:lol:

Wait is that the fascist salute ????? or is he Blessing everyone ??

AaronS

imported post

The good news for you is that I see that Reynolds Wrap now has an extra 5 feet in each box. That has to be like two more hats per box. Okay, I don't know how thick you make them...

attachment.php

As far as this photo. I think this is the traditional Aztecgesture given just before he pulls out a human heart. Must be a small person, because as you can clearly see, his table is small. I think it is common just after high level meetings. I could be wrong though.:shock:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AaronS wrote:
The good news for you is that I see that Reynolds Wrap now has an extra 5 feet in each box. That has to be like two more hats per box. Okay, I don't know how thick you make them...

attachment.php

As far as this photo. I think this is the traditional Aztecgesture given just before he pulls out a human heart. Must be a small person, because as you can clearly see, his table is small. I think it is common just after high level meetings. I could be wrong though.:shock:
too make a foil hat correctly, you must use almost the entire box.:uhoh: