• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private sector "commissioned" police officers....how does that work?

WalkingWolf

Many people probably confuse off duty cops working as private security as officers sworn by the private party. But in some states it is legal for private enterprise to employ police officers with the correct certification. Most business would rather hire security as the liability is lower, and the control higher, and the cost savings. Because some colleges are so large they have almost no choice to hire their own police. Otherwise they would have to rely on local and state police who they cannot control.

Primus

Uhm, well being "convicted" of breaking a rule means exactly what? It makes no difference if another student says it, a teacher says it etc, the Dean in most cases makes the final call, noting that it many cases there is a student appeals process etc.

I am not sure they get the "tried" portion in most cases, however it could be a disciplinary hearing with a board oversight, likely depends upon the institution.

The security forces without police powers can already do that same thing, less the arrest beyond a citizens arrest. It is in fact more protective of students rights to have a police force vs a security force in some ways as a police force must have PC to search without a warrant, a security force does not need anything to search university property aka dorm rooms etc.

There are some really good reasons to step to the level of police over security, however it also does lend itself to another level of governing of people and while typically non-restrictive, that depends upon view as mentioned earlier all other rights seem to have merit but 2a rights so they also typically fail in that area. Notably, that is not always a "liberal position" type of choice and within some accrediting guidelines it must exist.

What your talking about makes me think about MPs on post versus post security. My local post runs a private security for the gate, but they sometimes have the Air Force SF guys tooling around in pickups conducting traffic stops. I remember 2 years ago they were ordered by their chain to sit at a stop sign and pull over anyone who didn't stop at the sign for 3 seconds. They literally had to count the cars and the chain wanted to see their ticket books as proof.

WalkingWolf

What your talking about makes me think about MPs on post versus post security. My local post runs a private security for the gate, but they sometimes have the Air Force SF guys tooling around in pickups conducting traffic stops. I remember 2 years ago they were ordered by their chain to sit at a stop sign and pull over anyone who didn't stop at the sign for 3 seconds. They literally had to count the cars and the chain wanted to see their ticket books as proof.

Enlightening very very enlightening. "YOUR post", so you are not actually a civilian cop? The above really explains a lot why you are trying to interject your authority on a internet board.