• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pro-Gun Movies

Marco

imported post

McX wrote: edit
Any John Wayne movie. Remember,
You must be kidding? rhetorical

Please review you JW library.
I can name two off hand but know there is more.

hopnpop

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Flintlock wrote:
Another one of the most famous anti-hypocrits that comes to mind is Michael Douglas.
Yes, and yet his movie The Game had a scene in it in which he uses a revolver to fend off a carjacker. Real piece of work, that guy. Hypocrite, but he's made soem decent movies.

Aside from The Game (which I thought was an EXCELLENT flick), there's also The Ghost and the Darkness, Romancing the Stone, and maybe even Jewel of the Nile - where he's civilian and uses guns defensively. I was thinking maybe Don't Say a Word also,but I don't think he used a gun in that one.

I agree, he's made some good movies. There are a few anti's that I like to watch regardless of thier politics. I was really thrown by Sigourney Weaver's stance but I think she's kindof a nut job anyway. But as far as anti's that I like to watch.... Michael Douglas, Robin Williams, Bill Maher, George Carlin... and I'm sure there are several others. I just don't care about an actor's politics enough to research. Some are outspoken enough on the issue that I've heard about it, but most not.

RE: S W A T - check out the special features on that DVD. They've got demos of the guns they use(d)!! Neat to watch.

Overtaxed

imported post

hopnpop wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Flintlock wrote:
Another one of the most famous anti-hypocrits that comes to mind is Michael Douglas.
Yes, and yet his movie The Game had a scene in it in which he uses a revolver to fend off a carjacker. Real piece of work, that guy. Hypocrite, but he's made soem decent movies.

Aside from The Game (which I thought was an EXCELLENT flick), there's also The Ghost and the Darkness, Romancing the Stone, and maybe even Jewel of the Nile - where he's civilian and uses guns defensively.  I was thinking maybe Don't Say a Word also, but I don't think he used a gun in that one.

I agree, he's made some good movies.  There are a few anti's that I like to watch regardless of thier politics.  I was really thrown by Sigourney Weaver's stance but I think she's kindof a nut job anyway.  But as far as anti's that I like to watch.... Michael Douglas, Robin Williams, Bill Maher, George Carlin...  and I'm sure there are several others.  I just don't care about an actor's politics enough to research.  Some are outspoken enough on the issue that I've heard about it, but most not.

RE: S W A T - check out the special features on that DVD.  They've got demos of the guns they use(d)!!  Neat to watch.

One of the blu-ray seasons of Lost has "right to bear arms" a whole section on the various firearms the characters wield on that show.

Tomahawk

imported post

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the Star Trek franchise is moderately pro-gun.

I'm going on a limb because Gene Rodenberry and most of the people who have worked on or acted in the show and movies over the years have been utopian-minded idiots, mostly Hollywood liberals.

But there have been several storylines that involve self-defense-related themes. In one episode, Captain Kirk was forced to fight unarmed against a bigger, stronger alien, and after getting nowhere with fists or throwing rocks, he actually contsructs his own makeshift hand cannon and makes black powder out of minerals on the planet's surface. (That should really be a Mythbusters episode).

Also, on the most recent series Enterprise, the first episode starts with a Klingon, the first ever seen by humans, fighting some other aliens on a farm in Iowa. The farmer hears the commotion and comes outside armed with some sort of plasma rifle, and when the Klingon advances in a threatening manner, he shoots him and almost kills him.

So in the very first human-Klingon encounter, it's Armed American Civilian: 1, Klingon warrior: 0.

Overall, though, Star Trek is very pro-authority and anti-individual liberty.

okboomer

imported post

marshaul wrote:
okboomer wrote:
Billy Jack (the original with Billy Zane is my fav, and yes he did become LEO, but it is about standing up.)
lol don't you mean Tom Laughlin?

:banghead:

Yeah, was also talking movies with my daughter at the same time :lol:

okboomer

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the Star Trek franchise is moderately pro-gun.

I'm going on a limb because Gene Rodenberry and most of the people who have worked on or acted in the show and movies over the years have been utopian-minded idiots, mostly Hollywood liberals.

But there have been several storylines that involve self-defense-related themes. In one episode, Captain Kirk was forced to fight unarmed against a bigger, stronger alien, and after getting nowhere with fists or throwing rocks, he actually contsructs his own makeshift hand cannon and makes black powder out of minerals on the planet's surface. (That should really be a Mythbusters episode).

Also, on the most recent series Enterprise, the first episode starts with a Klingon, the first ever seen by humans, fighting some other aliens on a farm in Iowa. The farmer hears the commotion and comes outside armed with some sort of plasma rifle, and when the Klingon advances in a threatening manner, he shoots him and almost kills him.

So in the very first human-Klingon encounter, it's Armed American Civilian: 1, Klingon warrior: 0.

Overall, though, Star Trek is very pro-authority and anti-individual liberty.

Kirk is fighting the Gorn on the "Flintstones' Rock" that has appeared in sooooo many hollywood shows :lol:

I find the the Enterprise series is much more pro-self defense ... several episodes resolve the issue with armed, assertive self defense.

• When Travis goes home to the family's cargo ship
  • When the crew helps the dueterium farmers "renegotiate" with the Klingon raiders
As compared with the institutionalized 'government with provide all safety' that I feel pervades the NextGen and Voyager series.

PT111

imported post

Remember in this episode that it was a contest between Capt. Kirk and the other alien where they were told that everything they needed to win was available, they just had to find it. Whether the minerals were naturally occuring or place there by the ones running the contest did not matter since they created the entire contest. Mythbusters could probably bust this episode but only if they had the super aliens to provide the minerals needed.

As for 'Dirty Harry' being a pro-gun movie it did sell a lot og .44 magnum revilvers but Dirty harry also came off to a lot of people as a gun crazy vigilante policeman that just wanted to blow people away. I sort of classify that one as both extreme pro and anti-gun leaving little in between.

Tomahawk

imported post

okboomer wrote:
I find the the Enterprise series is much more pro-self defense ... several episodes resolve the issue with armed, assertive self defense.

• When Travis goes home to the family's cargo ship
I thought that one was a terrible anti-liberty episode. The cargo haulers were on the frontier, defending themselves, and along comes Archer the A-hole and tells them "From now on, Starfleet is the new sheriff in town". That one episode soured me on the Enterprise series. I wanted to see the cargo crews throw Archer out the F-ing airlock and tell Starfleet to go back where they came from and mind their own damn business.

Of course, that's exactly what Capt. Malcom Reynolds would've done in Firefly, which is why that show rocked.

M

McX

imported post

Here it is the 21st century. And I still don't have a phaser. All we get is Windows 7. They would probably regulate Open Carry and concealed carry of a phaser anyway.

Tomahawk

imported post

McX wrote:
Here it is the 21st century. And I still don't have a phaser. All we get is Windows 7. They would probably regulate Open Carry and concealed carry of a phaser anyway.

Well, the cops have sound guns and microwave guns for crowd control. Think you can get one of those?

The military has high-energy chemical lasers designed to shoot down missiles. They aren't very practicle, yet, but they do exist. What do you bet you can own one of those?

Flashbangs, submachineguns, the list goes on.

One of the odd things about Star Trek is that when they do encounter an armed person they don't immediately try to disarm him or "take him down for officer safety". At least that's something.

UtahJarhead

imported post

Tomahawk, you're right. In fact in the Original Series, they were all about phasers and stuff. About the only thing Kirk would do when they met a planet's inhabitants was sleep with someone.

M

McX

imported post

Huck, you gotta tell me where you got that great pic. It's now my desktop! Is it a movie? A pic of a happy weapon owner, with extras in a coat.

UtahJarhead

imported post

McX wrote:
Huck, you gotta tell me where you got that great pic. It's now my desktop! Is it a movie? A pic of a happy weapon owner, with extras in a coat.

Boondock Saints. He's a bad guy.

M

McX

imported post

Thanks guy. I'll rent that one this weekend. Back to the discussions; Anyone here ever heard of a pain field generator? Some kid I knew when I was young claimed to have perfected it. Transistor radio size, emitted radio waves that would mess up your body's electrical signals. I never saw it, but always wondered.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, I was inspired to watch Tremors for the first time in years.

I forgot, but it's actually pretty decent (read: amusing) for a B-movie. The reveal of the gun wall in the survivalists' rec room is one of the more classic such in cinema! :)

Absolutely great scene.

Bull Frog

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
I have been trying to find good pro gun movies, where the hero is a civilian/non-leo who uses a weapon to defend himself or others, or movies where gun rights are mentioned in a positive light.

So far:

Red Dawn
No Country for Old Men (really awesome use of a water logged 1911)

Wow. I wish I was as young as you. Two movies? You are missing a colossal bonanza of films spanning a hundred years, or so.

Happy Hunting! :D

Oh, and you may want to expand your search to books - Louis L'Amour would be a good start - read "Hondo", for instance; it was made into a movie starring John Wayne.

Good luck, pilgrim.