• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pro-Gun Movies

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
That said, I wasn't slamming Dirty Harry. I never read Ebert's review, but I like that movie. In fact there are plenty of cop/soldier/spy-with-a-gun movies I love to watch, but that doesn't mean they are "pro-gun".
Indeed. I've always defend Harry on the grounds that he was acting to prevent imminent harm of which he was personally aware, and that -- as evidenced by his throwing his badge into the lake -- he wasn't acting necessarily in his capacity as a law enforcement officer empowered by the state, but merely as an individual exercising his legal right of defense of others.

M

McX

imported post

Any John Wayne, or Dirty Harry movie. Remember, Were not just going to let you walk out of here................

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Serenity ++1 (Guns, Spaceships, & Hookers, can't get better than that.:lol:)

Haven't seen it in several decades, probably in same vault as WB's Uncle Rufus.
But a Jimmy Stewart movie, he was a prisoner and made a rifle for the military.
Didn't even show when the ran his memorial week of movies. I guess
the idea of a prisoner making a rifle out of a truck axle in prison just scares
the sheeple to much, and to do it for the good of the countries army makes
it even worse. How can they have the stance of criminals are bad people who
shouldn't have a gun and have a movie like that out there.
Can't even remember the name of it though.

Any votes for "Breaking Bad", good guy also has the wheel gun, shows
the importance of firearm knowledge when they go to load it,:lol:
example of never leave home, or be home without it,
and a great example for using explosives when a gun won't do the job.:what:

Overtaxed

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
Serenity ++1    (Guns, Spaceships, & Hookers, can't get better than that.:lol:)

Haven't seen it in several decades, probably in same vault as WB's Uncle Rufus.
But a Jimmy Stewart movie, he was a prisoner and made a rifle for the military.
Didn't even show when the ran his memorial week of movies.  I guess
the idea of a prisoner making a rifle out of a truck axle in prison just scares
the sheeple to much, and to do it for the good of the countries army makes
it even worse.  How can they have the stance of criminals are bad people who
shouldn't have a gun and have a movie like that out there. 
Can't even remember the name of it though.

Any votes for "Breaking Bad",  good guy also has the wheel gun, shows

Haven't seen any episodes of breaking bad, but I have seen the movie you are referring to.
"Carbine Williams" and it's a good one too.

Hillmann

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
Any votes for "Breaking Bad", good guy also has the wheel gun, shows
Who are you calling thr good guy in Breaking Bad?

old dog

imported post

In re: "Carbine Williams"

Pretty good flick that never shows up on TV. Marsh Williams wasn't a particularly sympathetic character and the story was a little obscure for the average moviegoer. Also, I believe it was not a huge commercial success despite starring the great Stewart.

Off topic, will someone please tell Hollywood that when the cylinder of a revolver is swung out and spun there is NO RATCHET!!!

UtahJarhead

imported post

I've always wanted to see someone get pissed with an empty revolver and chuck the cylinder at the BG... those could really mess somebody up!

Overtaxed

imported post

old dog wrote:
In re: "Carbine Williams"

Pretty good flick that never shows up on TV. Marsh Williams wasn't a particularly sympathetic character and the story was a little obscure for the average moviegoer. Also, I believe it was not a huge commercial success despite starring the great Stewart.

Off topic, will someone please tell Hollywood that when the cylinder of a revolver is swung out and spun there is NO RATCHET!!!

My biggest issue with revolvers in movies is when a character says (while handing one off) - "here ya go... safety's on."

I saw Carbine Williams several times on TV - TBS, I believe it was.
There are a lot of wonderful old movies that just aren't part of the rotation for some odd reason.

Not terribly gun related, but two of my favorites that to this day aren't really shown (but are avail. on DVD, thank goodness) are The Ninth Configuration, and the Last Valley. Especially Last Valley - Michael Caine and Omar Sharif are outstanding, as are the outdoor cinematography and music.

UtahJarhead

imported post

I want to say that 28 Days Later was pro-gun, but the more I think of it, the ones that used the guns were military, so there goes that idea.

M

McX

imported post

Utah JarHead, greetings from Wisconsin. Love your avitar. Email it to me, so I can do it on the desk top!

Tomahawk

imported post

UtahJarhead wrote:
I want to say that 28 Days Later was pro-gun, but the more I think of it, the ones that used the guns were military, so there goes that idea.

28 Days Later was definitely not pro-gun. Unlike American zombie films, which are almost universally pro-gun, the28DL movies are British zombie films. Everyone is supposed to mope around under a grey sky and wait to be rescued or killed, whichever comes first. Probably killed.

Even the scenes with the soldiers in which the civilians have a chance to arm themselves they don't, because they are more afraid of the guns than they are of the hyper-violent zombies about to tear them limb from limb using their teeth.

They are good movies, but the cowardly depiction of the British civilians gets on my nerves. The second film 28 Weeks Later, shows American soldiers massacring London residents as they flee a zombie breakout in a futile attempt to contain the virus. Again, the civilians are all just hapless victims. Government is as lethal to them as the zombies.

Regular_Joe

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
I have been trying to find good pro gun movies, where the hero is a civilian/non-leo who uses a weapon to defend himself or others, or movies where gun rights are mentioned in a positive light.

So far:

Red Dawn
No Country for Old Men (really awesome use of a water logged 1911)
Good or bad, there is a new day coming for Red Dawn!

News:
http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2009/10/21/a-red-dawn-casts-on-detroit/
Check out the unofficial Red Dawn remake fan site: http://www.reddawn2010.com/

UtahJarhead

imported post

"A Boy and His Dog"

Don Johnson before he was somebody! Guns do play a minor role, but they're used by civilians as there is no gubment

M

McX

imported post

Here's one everyone forgot, and no one has mentioned. A must see movie: Thief- James Caan, Tuesday Weld- back in the day when she was young and beautiful, not like she is now: 60 years old. Movie starts slow, but is extremely well filmed, with many quote-able spots, like the Dirty Harry movies. I gotta go now but (movie quote from thief): You keep this thing running till I get back, understood?