• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pro-Gun Movies

Flintlock

imported post

I haven't seen a lot of movies that are Pro-gun per sey, but there are certainlysome thathighlight the need for them in defensive situations and various scenarios.

No Country for Old Men

Matrix

The Ghost and the Darkness

The Siege

The Alamo

The Postman

Dawn of the Dead

Red Dawn

Collateral

Heat

UtahJarhead

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
I haven't seen a lot of movies that are Pro-gun per sey, but there are certainlysome thathighlight the need for them in defensive situations and various scenarios.

No Country for Old Men
Matrix
The Siege
The Alamo
The Postman
Dawn of the Dead
Red Dawn
Collateral
Heat
I'm sorry, but I have to chastise you for listing "The Siege". It's a movie about the gubment severely overstepping its bounds to strip away the rights of the American Citizens and using the guns to do it.

Also for the Postman, but just because that's a crappy crappy crappy movie. crappy.

Flintlock

imported post

UtahJarhead wrote:
Flintlock wrote:

No Country for Old Men
Matrix
The Siege
The Alamo
The Postman
Dawn of the Dead
Red Dawn
Collateral
Heat
I'm sorry, but I have to chastise you for listing "The Siege". It's a movie about the gubment severely overstepping its bounds to strip away the rights of the American Citizens and using the guns to do it.

Also for the Postman, but just because that's a crappy crappy crappy movie. crappy.

Exactly.

I wrote:"some thathighlight the need for them in defensive situations and various scenarios."

The "concentration camps" or whatever those were in that movie, aside from the criminal, unconstitutional acts of the military and federalgovernment were a perfect example of tyranny. I refer to this movie as to what woud happen if a terrorist attack with a radiological device was unleashed into a large city.

The Postman was a crappy movie but I thought it worth noting because of the type of movie it was. A post war, apocalyptic film with a terrorizing army that dominates it's region, and the citizens are essentiallydefenseless against it.

UtahJarhead

imported post

The scene that's totally pro-gun that keeps coming to mind in the Dirty Harry movies is the final scene in Magnum Force where it's Harry vs the 3 rogue cops. Awesome scene! And I say it's pro-gunnie!

Overtaxed

imported post

30 days of night...

The Sheriff, played by Josh Hartnett, realizes that trouble's come to town.
He drives up and down the main drag, gets on the bullhorn, exhorting the (not yet undead) inhabitants to "lock your doors and load your firearms."

John Wolver

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
UtahJarhead wrote:
Flintlock wrote:

No Country for Old Men
Matrix
The Siege
The Alamo
The Postman
Dawn of the Dead
Red Dawn
Collateral
Heat

Exactly.

I wrote:"some thathighlight the need for them in defensive situations and various scenarios."

The "concentration camps" or whatever those were in that movie, aside from the criminal, unconstitutional acts of the military and federalgovernment were a perfect example of tyranny. I refer to this movie as to what woud happen if a terrorist attack with a radiological device was unleashed into a large city.

The Postman was a crappy movie but I thought it worth noting because of the type of movie it was. A post war, apocalyptic film with a terrorizing army that dominates it's region, and the citizens are essentiallydefenseless against it.
Im not sure why you guys think "The Postman" is crappy. I think it is a great movie, with some good messages in it. And definately pro- gun.

Overtaxed

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
John Wolver wrote:
Im not sure why you guys think "The Postman" is crappy. 
Does it have Kevin Costner in it? Crappy!

And maybe I'm mistaken but isn't Costner a major anti?

Uh... the Untouchables, Mr. Brooks and No Way Out were crappy?

I didn't think the Postman was all that great... the book it was based on by David Brin was quite good, btw....

Flintlock

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
John Wolver wrote:
Im not sure why you guys think "The Postman" is crappy.
Does it have Kevin Costner in it? Crappy!

And maybe I'm mistaken but isn't Costner a major anti?
He is indeed an anti. But like so many of the Hollywood hypocrits, they make millions of dollars using firearms in their movies and yetspeak against themfor us regular folks in real life. Costner is near the top of the list, if not at the very top.Another one of the most famous anti-hypocrits that comes to mind is Michael Douglas.

Tomahawk

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
Another one of the most famous anti-hypocrits that comes to mind is Michael Douglas.

Yes, and yet his movie The Game had a scene in it in which he uses a revolver to fend off a carjacker. Real piece of work, that guy. Hypocrite, but he's made soem decent movies.

When talking about Hollywood antis it's easier to list the ones who aren't.

okboomer

imported post

Oldies, but goodies that actually discuss the reasonable need and use of guns:

Old Yeller

To Kill A Mockingbird

Billy Jack (the original with Billy Zane is my fav, and yes he did become LEO, but it is about standing up.)

Newer Flicks

Species

Sons of Anarchy (tv show,it's what's going on with the mother (Katie Segal) and the gfriend)

The Last BoyScout (former LEO, but is a PI)

Sin City

Overtaxed

imported post

The movie SWAT with Colin Farrell was pretty good, and had an interesting scene at a gun range. There was a playful, joyful tone as the men went through their paces, but I also felt an undercurrent of "this stuff is only for the professionals," too.

John Wolver

imported post

Overtaxed wrote:
The movie SWAT with Colin Farrell was pretty good, and had an interesting scene at a gun range. There was a playful, joyful tone as the men went through their paces, but I also felt an undercurrent of "this stuff is only for the professionals," too.
it was, they were police... lol

M

McX

imported post

Billy Jack! Right on! Haven't thought of that one in years! I saw a bit on him on TV awhile back. He's old and "tubby" now. But then again, I used to have hair. Love that back in the day statement in the movie: I'm gonna put this foot upside your head, and there won't be anything you can do about it. These days I couldn't do that. Maybe I could afford to hire someone to do that......sucks to get old.

hopnpop

imported post

Alright, I've got a decent collection of DVDs and thought I'm sure I've got several here that haven't been mentioned yet but after looking through my shelves, I've come to the disappointing conclusion that most of them have been mentioned already. In nearly ALL of the (+gun) movies the heroes are LEOs, ex-LEOs, or FBI or CIA or some acronym... very few with armed civilian heros. Here's a couple that I think have been overlooked so far:

Crocodile Dundee (man vs beast, man scares poachers)

Romancing the Stone (Douglas vs. BGs)

The Ghost and the Darkness (man vs beast)

Indiana Jones (Indy vs BGs)

The Fugitive (Ford doesn't save the day with a gun buta Glockenables him to evade capture long enough to find the BG)

Escanaba in Da Moonlight (Daniels vs buck)

Signs - (man vs alien) again, the gun doesn't save the day but plays a part

Man on Fire (?) - (man vs man) but Washington in this flick is an ex-something

Pineapple Express (?) - might not qualify as pro-2A since the armed "civilians" in this flick are stoners, but hey, thought I'd mention it

********* Then there are those that have been mentioned already that I feel the need to emphasize for one reason or another...***********************

Quigley Down Under - I was hoping to be the 1st to add this one to the list. GREAT shooting in this movie!! I love the "two-for-one" shot. Anyone who's seen it knows the scene I'm talking about.

No Country For Old Men - another one I liked a lot. The silenced shotgun was awe-inspiring!

Last Man Standing - this one's got one of my all-time favorite shoot-outs. Not the most realistic but awesome regardless. And Walken? Gotta love Chris Walken.

Tremors - I want Michael Gross' arsenal!! My kind of basement!

Death Wish - great, period.

HEAT- I wouldn't call it Pro2A but I've skipped to the street shootout several times and just cranked the stereo. Roughly 7 mins of straight gunfire in Dolby - ahhhhh!

I've got a couple other armed civilian scenes in my head but can't place the movies or titles. Fun thread tho!