• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Public Hearing - Firearms - Newtown Task Force

buketdude

Public Hearing - Firearms - Newtown Task Force January 28 at 10:00 a.m

After just watching the 1st Task Force meeting it seems there will be a public hearing within 10 days on all the subjects, including firearms. I know my Senator, Senator Kissel is on the firearms subcomittee.
Not sure who the other members are. It was not said if the hearing will be on specific bills or just informational.

They said there will be a website setup to submit testimony if you cannot make it.

There will be a public hearing focusing on school safety on January 25 at 9:30 a.m., a gun safety hearing on January 28 at 10:00 a.m., and a hearing on mental health issues January 29 at 10:00 a.m., all in room 2C at the Legislative Office Building in Hartford. A fourth public hearing will be held by the task force at Newtown High School on January 30 at 6:00 p.m.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
A public hearing does not mean public participation ... do you know if the public will be allowed to participate other than listen?

motoxmann

A public hearing does not mean public participation ... do you know if the public will be allowed to participate other than listen?

http://www.wfsb.com/story/20621657/state-task-force-on-gun-violence-to-hold-first-meeting

F.U.Q.:
"The task force announced its upcoming hearing schedule following the meeting.

•Public hearing focusing on school safety on Jan. 25 at 9:30 a.m. at room 2C at the Legislative Office Building in Hartford.
•Public hearing focusing on gun safety on Jan. 28 at 10 a.m. at room 2C at the Legislative Office Building in Hartford.
•Public hearing focusing on mental health issues on Jan. 29 at 10 a.m. at room 2C at the Legislative Office Building in Hartford.

•Public hearing (topic is unknown at this time) on Jan. 30 at 6 p.m. at Newtown High School.

The hearings will give the public the chance to give the task force their opinions before the members make their recommendations.

"We're really gonna listen to the public," Cafero said.

The task force is also setting up a website for people, who cannot attend the hearings, to add their input."

bumble

hopefully, we will have a chance to speak at these meetings. but having copies of written testimony to give, or to send in as basketdude linked to is important. we must stay on top of all meetings and not let our voices fall. i will be at the task force meeting in newtown. im sure that the emotions in that place will be running high, but showing a sound judgement and presenting a well thought out testimony is neccessary. i hope everyone is at least writting to all people involved.

the bouncer

bumble

dont know why i said basketdude. buketdude. im playing with my little girl and basket just popped out. my apologies.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I provided them with one paper so far - on school security -- next one gun control

I examined Newtown records and others and provided my conclusion as to the responsible parties to the Newtown incident -- my analysis lead me to conclude that the town of Newtown & other governmental bodies bear some or a large part of responsibility.

I was critical of Newtown, Connecticut Police Assoc.,the town of Weston, and all local PDs.

Anyone who wishes a copy please PM me ... its 16 pages, 9 MB, includes several public records in the pdf

update: well, I added a 12 page paper response regarding "gun violence" which equals gun control of course....

I'm sure they'll ask me to head the democratic party after reading both filings :)

With the gun control one I just called them commies and stated that no one is going to follow their stupid laws and how mag bans are an infringement and how the local gov'ts love their guns too.

It will be interesting to see the other pro-gun control crap flying in the face of our founding fathers ...

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Anyone else get this message? Never rec a message like this one before ...

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.

Delivery to the following recipients has been delayed.

asaferconnecticut@cga.ct.gov

Update:

Well I re-sent the testimony to several folks earlier, before the hearing began.

Still, my testimony is not included in the record. They clearly are refusing to post testimony for people who provide facts and data showing that the Newtown shooting has the town and state somewhat responsible.

They are rounding the wagons big time ... blame guns blame guns ...

But of that testimony that is posted, most is anti-gun control but pro-gun.

I expected that the school safety hearing would turn into a gun control hearing ... while some people stayed "on-track" for the school safety subject matter, most saw this as a gun control issue, as I predicted.

I'm working to get my testimony entered...as it should have been

Looks like people have woken up and started sending them testimony to the point it chokes the server...

New update: 1-25-13, 4:15pm

I called my local rep & begun the hunt for the missing testimony ... they found my Gun violence one (a work of art I should say, should be displayed at the Smithsonian) but not my School safety testimony .. they have not found that.

Interns (yes, interns) are going through the statements and deciding what "folder" to put them in : school, violence, health, or another "junk folder". From there they get posted to the webpage of the task force in the specific area (school, violence, health) if they don't get tossed into the junk folder which never sees the light of day. They put my gun violence into the junk folder and had to retrieve it from there once my legislator got involved...so some of my data showing that local PDs acquisition of guns was posted ... so at least people will have data supporting an argument that we need our semi-automatic rifles.

Its a cluster puck in Hartford and they put interns there handling this stuff & they likely have no idea what they are doing or at least that is what the evidence suggests..

So if you don't see your testimony posted after a while...hunt them down and get your voice heard.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
A good submission by CtCarry

http://www.cga.ct.gov/asaferconnect...rgess, President of Connecticut Carry Inc.PDF

- attempt to disarm ::covered
- americans are buying the stuff that they want to ban :: covered
- irrational demonization of gun owners:: covered

The amount of bills proposed can make one very angry ... its a total slap in the face to the american people.

As I said in my paper .. we do not have a "gun culture", we have a "freedom culture"

Good job CtCarry & Rich !

Going to suggest anything for the next subject: mental health

Its a harder subject but I will file something ... I have seen legislation proposed to require people to undergo a state eval prior to purchase etc ... its just hurdles they want to put up there that seem "reasonable".

Its these "reasonable" proposals that are actually totally unreasonable that gets me going...stuff like 1 rd mags are pretty easily argued against via a logical argument and with data that is out there, one can show that other authorities agree with the viewpoint...