• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question for British firearms owners

DW98

I've searched around for information on your firearms laws but I've been getting mixed answers.

1) Generally, how long does it take to acquire a firearms license?
2) What is the maximum number of rounds you can have in a firearm?
3) Are semi-automatic rifles/pump action shotguns legal, and how do you possess one?
4) What is the highest caliber allowed?
5) Are you allowed to carry any type of weapon in public? (not talking about firearms obviously).
6) Do the laws differ in other parts of the UK?

Thanks.

Last edited:

DocWalker

I was born in England and was stationed there after joining the USAF. I can tell you that england has zero crime....bbbwwahhhhhh just kiding. To be honest I even the US Military personal have been severly restricted when it comes to firearms. I know that it is hard to get all the required approvals and you have to meet strick guidelines to own any weapons. Most only own shotguns and then even those are regulated out the wazzo. Hand guns are only for the cops and privilaged. Rifles are like shotguns but seem to require more paperwork and justification. This is for those that follow the law, but like most cases criminals don't follow the law and guns get to the bad guys easy.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I was born in England and was stationed there after joining the USAF. I can tell you that england has zero crime....bbbwwahhhhhh just kiding. To be honest I even the US Military personal have been severly restricted when it comes to firearms. I know that it is hard to get all the required approvals and you have to meet strick guidelines to own any weapons...
I'm surprised they don't have strict guidelines there, but whatever.

WalkingWolf

England is a classic example of the dangers of social engineering. The subjects had the guns taken away because of social pressure, and they did nothing to stop it.

DW98

Thanks for all the answers.

The laws aren't that restrictive here. Yet, anyway.....

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks for all the answers.

The laws aren't that restrictive here. Yet, anyway.....

IMHO - If you cannot protect life and limb where you stand by any means w/o incurring serious consequences, then the laws are entirely too restrictive. :(

DW98

IMHO - If you cannot protect life and limb where you stand by any means w/o incurring serious consequences, then the laws are entirely too restrictive. :(

I agree.

I spoke to someone the other day about self-defense in this country. He said, "Well, we don't really have anything to defend ourselves against". It angered me to say the least. This is also coming from a person who owns shotguns, rifles and pistols.....:mad:

Yet they complain about our weak justice system and how murderers can be out after a few years.

DocWalker

I agree.

I spoke to someone the other day about self-defense in this country. He said, "Well, we don't really have anything to defend ourselves against". It angered me to say the least. This is also coming from a person who owns shotguns, rifles and pistols.....:mad:

Yet they complain about our weak justice system and how murderers can be out after a few years.

Kinda like the Military guy that was stabbed in the street and people just watched him die and only filmed it as they only had cameras and nothing to defend him with.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Kinda like the Military guy that was stabbed in the street and people just watched him die and only filmed it as they only had cameras and nothing to defend him with.
With the conversation about banning/controlling sharp pointy objects/knives, have to wonder whether that will be extended to sharp pointy (potentially lethal) pens and pencils. Virtually anything can become a weapon depending how it is utilized.

DocWalker

With the conversation about banning/controlling sharp pointy objects/knives, have to wonder whether that will be extended to sharp pointy (potentially lethal) pens and pencils. Virtually anything can become a weapon depending how it is utilized.

I.e...."the pen is mightier than the sword".

DW98

That was terrible.

It was made worse by the fact that regular police officers had to wait for armed police to show up. One thing I can say about our law enforcement: If you tried that here with police present, you'd shot dead, or wounded at the very least.

OC for ME

No UK citizen has any right enumerated. All rights, that we here in the US enjoy, are nothing but privileges in the UK, to be given or taken away at the whim of Parliament. No wonder we rebelled against that system of government.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No UK citizen has any right enumerated. All rights, that we here in the US enjoy, are nothing but privileges in the UK, to be given or taken away at the whim of Parliament. No wonder we rebelled against that system of government.

Yet our Common Law is based predominately on decisions from that source going back some 400 years.

DocWalker

That was terrible.

It was made worse by the fact that regular police officers had to wait for armed police to show up. One thing I can say about our law enforcement: If you tried that here with police present, you'd shot dead, or wounded at the very least.

Depends on the department, say it happened in NY? How many innocents would have been shot by stray cop bullets?

salop sniper

I've searched around for information on your firearms laws but I've been getting mixed answers.

1) Generally, how long does it take to acquire a firearms license?
2) What is the maximum number of rounds you can have in a firearm?
3) Are semi-automatic rifles/pump action shotguns legal, and how do you possess one?
4) What is the highest caliber allowed?
5) Are you allowed to carry any type of weapon in public? (not talking about firearms obviously).
6) Do the laws differ in other parts of the UK?

Thanks.

Here you go:

1) Generally, how long does it take to acquire a firearms license? - an application for a Fire-Arms License takes on average 8-10 weeks for grant or renewal but can take nearly 12 months in some force areas, it lasts for 5 years.
2) What is the maximum number of rounds you can have in a firearm? This depends on what you are licensed for, standard shotgun certificate covers you for a 2+1 semi auto as maximum, the mag size is down to what you can buy, so CZ rimfire is 10 shot mag and a .22lr is as bigger drum mag as you get. centrefire is only single shot so normally 5 shot maximum. Your license on grant will tell you your maximum you can hold and purchase at any one time.
3) Are semi-automatic rifles/pump action shotguns legal, and how do you possess one? No semi- automatic rifles are not allowed except for .22lr & .22WMR. Yes shotguns are allowed as semi-auto but restricted to 2+1, also pump action shotguns are allowed also 2+1, .22lr pump action is also allowed but uncommon.
4) What is the highest caliber allowed? The highest is the highest you can justifie, we do have long range 50bmg ranges over here and clubs .
5) Are you allowed to carry any type of weapon in public? (not talking about firearms obviously). No, nothing at all. you must justifie why you have anything on you if stopped and searched etc.
6) Do the laws differ in other parts of the UK? No we are the same across the country.

Hope this helps guys,

ATB

Matt

Rusty Young Man

Here you go:

1) Generally, how long does it take to acquire a firearms license? - an application for a Fire-Arms License takes on average 8-10 weeks for grant or renewal but can take nearly 12 months in some force areas, it lasts for 5 years.
2) What is the maximum number of rounds you can have in a firearm? This depends on what you are licensed for, standard shotgun certificate covers you for a 2+1 semi auto as maximum, the mag size is down to what you can buy, so CZ rimfire is 10 shot mag and a .22lr is as bigger drum mag as you get. centrefire is only single shot so normally 5 shot maximum. Your license on grant will tell you your maximum you can hold and purchase at any one time.
3) Are semi-automatic rifles/pump action shotguns legal, and how do you possess one? No semi- automatic rifles are not allowed except for .22lr & .22WMR. Yes shotguns are allowed as semi-auto but restricted to 2+1, also pump action shotguns are allowed also 2+1, .22lr pump action is also allowed but uncommon.
4) What is the highest caliber allowed? The highest is the highest you can justifie, we do have long range 50bmg ranges over here and clubs .
5) Are you allowed to carry any type of weapon in public? (not talking about firearms obviously). No, nothing at all. you must justifie why you have anything on you if stopped and searched etc.
6) Do the laws differ in other parts of the UK? No we are the same across the country.

Hope this helps guys,

ATB

Matt

Welcome to the forum and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona salop sniper:)!

Just one question: what are the stop-and-search laws there?

Last edited: