• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question for the eastsiders.

DamonK

I'm looking at moving to the north of spokane area, possibly around deer park. My uncle was visiting from republic today and had a pretty strong reaction to the way I carry (OC condition 1, 1911) he claimed that people would freak out and shoot me. I find that pretty hard to believe, and I've been to spokane and OCed in the past and had no problems. I am wondering, what advice could you guys give me. I'm headed over sometime in the early fall, but I plan to make a couple trips between now and then. If I can make a meetup, that would be great. Thanks guys!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Orphan I believe lives around Deer Park as well as others, Orphan carries his 1911 cocked and locked.

There are many who live over there on this board and carry with little problems....

I have visited over there and carried around Spokane and Cheney with no issues...

ApacheBunny

I haven't heard much from the rest of the eastern guys over here, when I go out I usually OC and haven't been harrassed. The 1911 being cocked and locked during carry, only people here who would bring issue up to you have insecurities about guns. Only story I can really give for being in the Spokane area is when I was walking through Manito Park, bumped into a family of 3 and smiled to them said "good day", the husband grabbed his kid and wife right after I passed and started towards the park exit.

For further south of Spokane when I was OCing stopped at the local gas station near my grandma's and a car full of 18-20 year olds pulled up. They thought I was robbing the gas station after their female friend went to the bathroom, dunno how they came to that conclusion when the person ringing me up was chatting to me about my gun and how long I have OCed. So like I said people who have insecurities or just ignorant about guns, not a bad thing, just need to be educated about them.

Last edited:

hermannr

I'm looking at moving to the north of spokane area, possibly around deer park. My uncle was visiting from republic today and had a pretty strong reaction to the way I carry (OC condition 1, 1911) he claimed that people would freak out and shoot me. I find that pretty hard to believe, and I've been to spokane and OCed in the past and had no problems. I am wondering, what advice could you guys give me. I'm headed over sometime in the early fall, but I plan to make a couple trips between now and then. If I can make a meetup, that would be great. Thanks guys!

I open carry a CZ85 all the time. (sometimes a Colt 38 revolver with a 6" barrel..always that Colt until I purchased teh CZ) Only time it is covered is if it is cold enough for a heavy coat.

I live in the Okanogan Highlands. I have openly carried since July 1970, never had a problem, east side, or west side. OC'd into the Tonasket City council meeting last month, no-one said a word about my carry. open Carried into the Republican Caucus last year, no-one said a word.

I have had one person in teh last 8 years get upset, restaurant owner (had a bar attached) that said I couldn't carry there because the law...I explained that only applied to the bar and all was back to OK.

LarryM

Spokane area OC friendly - Cheney is a bit weird because of EWU and all the problems with kids with a mixture of overactive hormones and alcohol..I carry a G17 with 17+1 and two full mags...no one really cares, not even the Spokane Valley cops who sit at the Sullivan Wal-mart on occasion - Deer Park pretty rednecky so no problems there either. Better than Seattle and all the antis that infest that area....

hermannr

Oh, one other thing. Bonapart Lake Resort. Go there for dinner sometime. (not far from Republic) Good food, and people that really appreciate the 2A...at least one of them I talked to (was carrying) said they came from NY. I think it was the owner (wife half). I know the Ower (husband half) saw my carry when we talked, never said a word, but the wife did,,,positive. She was carrying a Ruger LCR in .357.

Jeff Hayes

Hey Damon, I used to go by Orphan here but changed and now use my real name. I live just outside of Deer Park and open carry a 1911 cocked and locked most of the time, some times I carry an XD and some times I will conceal. I have OCed for several years in Deer Park, Spokane, Eastern Washington, North Idaho etc and no one has shot me or shot at me yet and as far as I know no one has freaked out, if they did they were really quit about it. I have not been asked to leave anyplace and to be honest most people do not notice or they do not care.

The only place I have ever had a problem is when I was ejected form the Ron Paul rally a year ago last January.

My advice to you is to stay out of the Mead School District and if you can live in Stevens County like I do, lower taxes, much friendlier county government, cheaper insurance etc etc. I will PM you my phone number call me if I can help you.

Let us know when you are headed over and we will have a meet

Last edited:

imalurker

I've never had a problem although I don't OC all that often.

The only negative interaction if you want to call it that is I had a guy (russian immigrant) ask me "What would you do if a cop saw you?". Smile and say Hi? The russian had no idea open carry was legal. So I handed him a pamphlet and went back to what I was doing.

Jeff Hayes

i've never had a problem although i don't oc all that often.

The only negative interaction if you want to call it that is i had a guy (russian immigrant) ask me "what would you do if a cop saw you?". Smile and say hi? The russian had no idea open carry was legal. So i handed him a pamphlet and went back to what i was doing.

lol

DamonK

I thought that was the case. I've open carried in spokane for a few days and didn't have any problems. I'm looking at the north and west of spokane areas. Mostly just looking for land that I can build on. Thanks for the advice, I'll have to meet up with some of you guys next time I come over.

Jeff Hayes

I thought that was the case. I've open carried in spokane for a few days and didn't have any problems. I'm looking at the north and west of spokane areas. Mostly just looking for land that I can build on. Thanks for the advice, I'll have to meet up with some of you guys next time I come over.

There is quite a bit of land for sale on or just off of Swenson RD near where I live that is just inside the Stevens County line but only 15 minutes to Fred Meyer, the Cinema, Restaurants etc, there may be something there that meets your needs. I am considering moving out of Washington due to the political climate and how expensive it has become to live here.

thewise1

There is quite a bit of land for sale on or just off of Swenson RD near where I live that is just inside the Stevens County line but only 15 minutes to Fred Meyer, the Cinema, Restaurants etc, there may be something there that meets your needs. I am considering moving out of Washington due to the political climate and how expensive it has become to live here.

I grew up on Hattery Owens road about 2/3 mi away from Swenson :) LOVE the area, and it's pretty cool that I find others from nearby a decade and a half after leaving :)

Jeff Hayes

I grew up on Hattery Owens road about 2/3 mi away from Swenson :) LOVE the area, and it's pretty cool that I find others from nearby a decade and a half after leaving :)

I am near Swenson and Glen Grove-Staley RD, I love the area as well Good neighbors and very little in the way of problems from the county or state for that matter.

bennie1986

I am near Swenson and Glen Grove-Staley RD, I love the area as well Good neighbors and very little in the way of problems from the county or state for that matter.

You must me neighbors with my fater inlaw then! Thats exactly where he lives.

I have never been shot at up in that area when visiting LOL!

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

You must me neighbors with my fater inlaw then! Thats exactly where he lives.

I have never been shot at up in that area when visiting LOL!

Next time your out that way stop in, I promise not to shoot at you when you show up OC, BobR, Snarly, Dwordinger, Deros72, Squeak, Bill Starks and several others have all survived coming to my place OC without being shot at.

I did have one guest ask if someone was a Cop because he was strapped but stopped asking questions when I said no he is an electrical engineer.

Crunchtyme

I was out east of Eloika Lake looking for land last week, and will be out there looking north of Newport mid March. Nice to see 2 foot of snow on the ground, Nicer to leave it behind and come back to the wet side.

OC'd at the Ram and Millers ,on Newport highway with no problems. Same deal around Deer Park, Yolk's, Eggar Meats, and Double Eagle, no issues other than Double Eagle is well stocked on ammo that is in short supply on this side. Fortunately, my phone rang, and I had to get to work, otherwise there would have been a new 41 mag hunter coming home with me. I did however pick up a T/C Encore that I didn't need, some 22lr, 223 and 308. My wife hates that place.

I did come across some acreage with good populations of Turkey and Deer, must have been 25 turkey and the same number of deer in the early afternoon.

DamonK

I did come across some acreage with good populations of Turkey and Deer, must have been 25 turkey and the same number of deer in the early afternoon.

What a coincidence, I love hunting and eating both of those! :D

hermannr

I was out east of Eloika Lake looking for land last week, and will be out there looking north of Newport mid March. Nice to see 2 foot of snow on the ground, Nicer to leave it behind and come back to the wet side.

OC'd at the Ram and Millers ,on Newport highway with no problems. Same deal around Deer Park, Yolk's, Eggar Meats, and Double Eagle, no issues other than Double Eagle is well stocked on ammo that is in short supply on this side. Fortunately, my phone rang, and I had to get to work, otherwise there would have been a new 41 mag hunter coming home with me. I did however pick up a T/C Encore that I didn't need, some 22lr, 223 and 308. My wife hates that place.

We have had as many as 43 Turkey and 13 deer in our yard at one time last summer (I have a watering trough just for the wildlife)...but right now, we have the same 2' of snow, saw some fresh fox tracks in the snow, and fresh Cougar scat yesterday when I was wondering around the property. Yep, I'm ready for the snow to go too..no more places to put it to keep the driveway open...got a little fresh last night, but it was nice light powder and easy to plow.