• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question on magazines when carrying concealed in Connecticut

docchioj

Hello folks, hope everyone is well.

I live in Connecticut and have a question, I am hoping someone is knowledgeable of the answer. I am new to this site, and hope I am placing this post in the correct section As I just acquired my CCP a couple of years ago, although am still learning. After spending time searching the Internet for state laws and statutes, I am unable to locate the answer, and just want to make certain I am compliance, and don't want to do anything where I would get into trouble.

First, when I carry my pistol and it is concealed, and never carry hot. The magazine for my pistol only holds 6 rounds. With everything that is going on these days with shootings, etc., as I am always aware of my surroundings, and avoid trouble at all costs, and would never draw my firearm unless God forbid something serious happens.

My question is, am I allowed to carry a second 6 round magazine on me, or would I get into trouble for doing so?

Thank you in advance.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Hello folks, hope everyone is well.

I live in Connecticut and have a question, I am hoping someone is knowledgeable of the answer. I am new to this site, and hope I am placing this post in the correct section As I just acquired my CCP a couple of years ago, although am still learning. After spending time searching the Internet for state laws and statutes, I am unable to locate the answer, and just want to make certain I am compliance, and don't want to do anything where I would get into trouble.

First, when I carry my pistol and it is concealed, and never carry hot. The magazine for my pistol only holds 6 rounds. With everything that is going on these days with shootings, etc., as I am always aware of my surroundings, and avoid trouble at all costs, and would never draw my firearm unless God forbid something serious happens.

My question is, am I allowed to carry a second 6 round magazine on me, or would I get into trouble for doing so?

Thank you in advance.
You joined in 2017, so I don't know how new your are to this site.

Note: The Connecticut Citizens Defense League is reporting that the way the law is worded that you can carry a registered Higher Capacity magazine in your firearm but it can only be loaded with 10 rounds. Connecticut’s law requiring a magazine be “within” the firearm “limits the number of declared ‘large capacity magazines’ one is able to carry, along with the number of bullets it can contain. (See (7) above) So if you carry spare magazines they have to be 10 round or less type magazines or you are in violation of the law. You can’t under the law carry a higher capacity magazine only loaded with 10 rounds unless it is “Within” the firearm. Will this matter to authorities? No one is sure but that is the way the law is worded.

docchioj

This is only my second post since I joined this site in 2017, although I do go through the forum threads to read inputs.
Thank you very much for your response I greatly appreciate it.
My extra magazines also only holds 6 rounds.

solus

Per hangunlaw.us, CT has max 10 cartridges in your mags and you may carry "multiple" spare mags ~ again max 10 cartridges [ CT STATUTE Title 53: Chpt. 943 Sec. 53-202w ]

[Note: The Connecticut Citizens Defense League is reporting that the way the law is worded that you can carry a registered Higher Capacity magazine in your firearm but it can only be loaded with 10 rounds. Connecticut’s law requiring a magazine be “within” the firearm “limits the number of declared ‘large capacity magazines’ one is able to carry, along with the number of bullets it can contain. (See (7) above) So if you carry spare magazines they have to be 10 round or less type magazines or you are in violation of the law. You can’t under the law carry a higher capacity magazine only loaded with 10 rounds unless it is “Within” the firearm. Will this matter to authorities? No one is sure but that is the way the law is worded.]