• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick MI code question about transporting an unregistered firearm

Liberty-or-Death

A buddy of mine in there St. Joe county MI is planning a visit here to VA and wanted to bring his father's old revolver (inherited at his passing a few years ago) along with him for some range time here. He's reluctant because it is not registered there in his name.

Could someone tell me what his legal options are without registering it and any concerns about going ahead and registering? Thanks.

Va_Nemo

Were it me, and like I did so many years ago going to school in Mi, I would wrap it up, stick it in a box in the trunk or back seat or some place like that and be careful to obey road signs on the way down.

Nemo

davidmcbeth

Banned
People in MI need (using the term loosely) to register their guns? Do people actually do this?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Virginia doesn't care where it is or is not registered.

If he is legal to possess guns, he is good to go here.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; transfer of ownership to heir or devisee; nonresident; active duty status; forging application as felony; implementation during business hours.

Sec. 2.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this act, a person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section.
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(au...leg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-28-422

Remind me not to ever visit Michigan.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
All states have their own problems with gun laws. Michigan's appealing side is that IF you are okay with having a license, there are very few places legally off limits to carry.
So, the state letting you exercise a little bit of your rights is OK?

Michigan Constitution
§ 6 Bearing of arms.
Sec. 6. Every person has a right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.
History:
Const. 1963, Art. I, § 6, Eff. Jan. 1, 1964.
Former constitution:
See Const. 1908, Art. II, § 5.
It doesn't say "Registration of your arms with the state is mandatory for every person to have the privilege to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.

davidmcbeth

Banned

Michigander

So, the state letting you exercise a little bit of your rights is OK?

Michigan Constitution

It doesn't say "Registration of your arms with the state is mandatory for every person to have the privilege to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.

You do realize you're preaching to the choir right? I am a voluntaryist. And you even quoted me saying that all states have their own problems with gun laws.

wizzi01

Last edited:

Michigander

If you have an out of state cpl you are exempt from registration in Michigan. You cannot conceal carry as a resident of Michigan(in Michigan) with an out of state cpl, but you do not have to register your pistols. Most people get an Arizona or Maine cpl. MCL 28.432(1)(f) http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(imxr4t1ft3nxq32tmwjquecm))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectname=mcl-28-432

No offense to those who do this, but I think that concept is dorky obedience under the guise of skirting the law. Michigan's registration system is notoriously poorly kept, on par with the NFA registry 10 plus years ago, and except in rare instances such as for activists, if cops run your gun and it comes back unregistered they are going to assume it was a police screw up and not even mention it. When they are trying to mess with activists they may mention it, and then when it is insisted that it was registered, the police will then generally admit it must have been a police screw up, and suggest you go bitch at the agency at fault, and if you do, they'll then actually register it.

In a state where cops like some in the the DPD will straight up steal guns from ocers even when presented with the green card, registration seems to be something of a side issue.

Another tidbit of use to some who are concerned about the GFSZA in regards to LEIN, it doesn't say how your pistol is registered, be it through a permit to purchase or RI060 or shop, it only says its registered. In essence, they police have no way of knowing, and therefore is another reason not to realistically worry about the finer details of registration, provided that in the extremely unlikely case the point is brought up, you aren't stupid enough to mention it.

Last edited:

solus

No offense....

snipp

so your premise and advice to this august body is to ignore the firearm registration statutes, if caught feign surprise and say you did register (read lie) to the nice LEs who, (you have unequivocal empirical evidence right?), know some registration clerk screwed up the citizen's registration statute compliance action.

and further, you want us to believe, unless you are an 'activist' (hang on a moment) they won't do a thing to JQPublic about a lack of their firearm registration.

ok, moment is over...what, in your mind set, defines an 'activist' whom the nice MI LE's might pursue their lack of firearm registration???

Michigander, you are advocating to this membership to break the law!!! shame on you, and me as i thought you just were a misunderstood & frustrated firearm rights activist!!

ipse

Last edited:

wizzi01

No offense to those who do this, but I think that concept is dorky obedience under the guise of skirting the law. Michigan's registration system is notoriously poorly kept, on par with the NFA registry 10 plus years ago, and except in rare instances such as for activists, if cops run your gun and it comes back unregistered they are going to assume it was a police screw up and not even mention it. When they are trying to mess with activists they may mention it, and then when it is insisted that it was registered, the police will then generally admit it must have been a police screw up, and suggest you go bitch at the agency at fault, and if you do, they'll then actually register it.

In a state where cops like some in the the DPD will straight up steal guns from ocers even when presented with the green card, registration seems to be something of a side issue.

Another tidbit of use to some who are concerned about the GFSZA in regards to LEIN, it doesn't say how your pistol is registered, be it through a permit to purchase or RI060 or shop, it only says its registered. In essence, they police have no way of knowing, and therefore is another reason not to realistically worry about the finer details of registration, provided that in the extremely unlikely case the point is brought up, you aren't stupid enough to mention it.

Skirting the law? The law specifically says what it says. It doesn't say you have to live out of state and have an out of state cpl. It states (f) A United States citizen holding a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by another state. If you can't understand plain English that isn't my issue. Also, if a cop runs your gun he has to have a good reason to. they cannot just run a pistol because they want to. They can get in trouble for misusing the system.

griffin

if a cop runs your gun he has to have a good reason to. they cannot just run a pistol because they want to. They can get in trouble for misusing the system.

LOL. Cops run guns all the time, particularly in some big cities like Detroit or GR. I doubt any cop has ever gotten in trouble for it.

Michigander

so your premise and advice to this august body is to ignore the firearm registration statutes, if caught feign surprise and say you did register (read lie) to the nice LEs who, (you have unequivocal empirical evidence right?), know some registration clerk screwed up the citizen's registration statute compliance action.

and further, you want us to believe, unless you are an 'activist' (hang on a moment) they won't do a thing to JQPublic about a lack of their firearm registration.

ok, moment is over...what, in your mind set, defines an 'activist' whom the nice MI LE's might pursue their lack of firearm registration???

Michigander, you are advocating to this membership to break the law!!! shame on you, and me as i thought you just were a misunderstood & frustrated firearm rights activist!!

ipse

Quite the contrary, I wrote a book you can download and read for free that comprehensively educates residents and non residents about all of the fine print of following Michigan gun laws, citing everything thoroughly too. You can download it from www.freedomisforeveryone.com

I bring these things up to keep the real world in its proper context, so that not only the law can be understood, but also the way it is applied. Indeed as griffin said, cops will do whatever the hell they want without significant regard to the law.

solus

Quite the contrary, I wrote a book you can download and read for free that comprehensively educates residents and non residents about all of the fine print of following Michigan gun laws, citing everything thoroughly too. You can download it from www.freedomisforeveryone.com

I bring these things up to keep the real world in its proper context, so that not only the law can be understood, but also the way it is applied. Indeed as griffin said, cops will do whatever the hell they want without significant regard to the law.

so now you state you have written as well as providing it free, a manuscript outlining your avocation of breaking MI firearm registration statutes?

on a national public forum...nice...

ipse

Last edited: