• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick Question

hp-hobo

I have a quick question for the NC folks. Two actually.

1. I see that permitted CC is allowed in restaurants that serve alcohol on premises but I'm unclear on open carry. I don't have a specific place in mind but someplace like a BBQ joint or such. And no, I don't drink. Would OC be legal, yay or nay?

2. I'll be in the Shallotte/Bolivia area for the weekend. Is there any place I should avoid or any horror stories about OCing there?

Thanks!

bc.cruiser

If you are attending an "event" and it is okay with the sponsor or person in charge of the place, you are good to go. By common dictionary definition, even having a meal is an event; you would therefore only need permission of the person in charge of the place. Remember, I am not a member of the NC bar. I and others have done this (Cleveland Draft House, Clayton).

§ 14-269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
(b) This section shall not apply to any of the following:

(3) A person participating in the event, if the person is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event.

bc.cruiser

Sorry, I did not explain I was answering the question about the restaurant. The "event" to which I referred is your having a meal. I should also have included the following paragraph of 14-269.3:

(5) A person carrying a handgun if the person has a valid concealed handgun permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter, has a concealed handgun permit considered valid under G.S. 14-415.24, or is exempt from obtaining a permit pursuant to G.S. 14-415.25. This subdivision shall not be construed to permit a person to carry a handgun on any premises where the person in legal possession or control of the premises has posted a conspicuous notice prohibiting the carrying of a concealed handgun on the premises in accordance with G.S. 14-415.11(c). (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4; c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 2013-369, s. 3.)

Nowhere does it say that you must actually CARRY CONCEALED, just have a valid CC permit. NC recognizes all permits.