• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reasonable Suspicion From Driver to Car: A Few Thoughts on Kansas v. Glover. Orin Kerr at Volokh Conspiracy

CJ4wd

Correct me if I err but if the plate reader indicated the registered owner has a suspended DL and the observed driver of said vehicle is the same gender and approximate age of said suspended driver, wouldn't stopping the vehicle to verify that the driver is or is not the suspended driver be an appropriate action? If that driver is NOT the suspended person, the officer thanks the driver for their time and lets them leave. But, if the suspended driver IS the observed driver, then another citation and possibly arrest would be warranted. Correct?

Ghost1958

Correct me if I err but if the plate reader indicated the registered owner has a suspended DL and the observed driver of said vehicle is the same gender and approximate age of said suspended driver, wouldn't stopping the vehicle to verify that the driver is or is not the suspended driver be an appropriate action? If that driver is NOT the suspended person, the officer thanks the driver for their time and lets them leave. But, if the suspended driver IS the observed driver, then another citation and possibly arrest would be warranted. Correct?

Assuming that one should not be able to drive a vehicle they bought, on roads their taxes helped pay for, without gov licensing the person or vehicle then yes that would be correct .

OC for ME

A drivers license is a government scam to fleece us of our money and is not indicative of competent vehicle operation. Just as a firearms license is not indicative of competent firearm operation.

JTHunter2

A drivers license is a government scam to fleece us of our money and is not indicative of competent vehicle operation. Just as a firearms license is not indicative of competent firearm operation.

Isn't almost any permit or license that the government requires us to have (bar exam, nursing license, etc.) more of a money grab than a declaration of the holder's competence?

solus

JT, citizen's driving licensing falls, for the most part, under state level department of motor vehicles that administers vehicle registration and driver licensing.

"Who is AAMVA?
The American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators (AAMVA) is a tax-exempt, nonprofit organization developing model programs in motor vehicle administration, law enforcement and highway safety. The association also serves as an information clearinghouse in these areas, and acts as the international spokesman for these interests.

Founded in 1933, AAMVA represents the state, provincial, and territorial officials in the United States and Canada who administer and enforce motor vehicle laws. AAMVA’s programs encourage uniformity and reciprocity among the states and provinces. The association also serves as a liaison with other levels of government and the private sector.

Its development and research activities provide guidelines for more effective public service. AAMVA’s membership includes associations, organizations and businesses that share an interest in the association’s goals." https://www.aamva.org/about-aamva/

Quite a tangled web of oversight on citizens driving seems to be going on...

OC for ME

Review the .pdf policy paper...seems innocuous at first read through...but, hold on to your hats as you read many of the positions more closely.

A bunch of anti-liberty bureaucrats...advising unaccountable bureaucrats....these folks need to be tossed into the dust bin of history...then again, they make their drachmas from bureaucrats...go figure that they would cozy up to bureaucrats and cops.