• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reckless Driving Ticket

Locoed

Hi all, been here, I have a quick question.
I got a reckless driving ticket 22 years ago.
Will this kill my chances for getting a carry permit?
That was the last and only ticket I ever had, 22 years ago.

Thanks in advance.
J

Last edited by a moderator:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Welcome if it was a citation payable by a fine I don't think that it should be a problem.

If it was a result of something more serious like negligent homicide it could very well be.

If your really worried that it might effect your chances contact a good lawyer in your area.

Free advice is worth just what you pay for it.

Locoed

Welcome if it was a citation payable by a fine I don't think that it should be a problem.

If it was a result of something more serious like negligent homicide it could very well be.

If your really worried that it might effect your chances contact a good lawyer in your area.

Free advice is worth just what you pay for it.

Thank you, no it was a burning rubber with the backend
Of my car going side to side, I got 3 points and it cost
$175 at the time.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thank you, no it was a burning rubber with the backend
Of my car going side to side, I got 3 points and it cost
$175 at the time.

That's not reckless - that's just good clean fun in a muscle car. :lol:

countryclubjoe

Begs the query, how long do minor traffic infractions stay on your driving record? Most minor traffic violations are civil therefore in your case, I would think you should have NO issue.

My .02
Regards
CCJ

Michigander

I am unaware of any law of any kind that would impede your ability to get a CPL based on that. You should be perfectly good to go.

Scooter123

Reckless Driving today is considered a 1st degree misdemeanor in most states and as such can result in more than a simple fine, in most states it can get you as much as 1 year in prison. Having skated rather close to that line in Virginia I did some looking into what that particular charge would mean in regards to my CPL. My memory isn't what it once was and I am NOT a lawyer but as I remember it being convicted of this charge would cause a revocation of my permit and a 7 year period before I could re-apply.

Since the offense of the OP happened 22 years ago he is well past that 7 year threshold.

As for me, when I go visit my sister in Lexington, VA I downshift 1 gear and set the cruise control to 70 mph. Because in Virginia just 1 mph over 80 is considered Reckless Driving. This year when I hit the bottom of that 2 mile long 7% grade there was a VA statie staked out and I was going at 72 mph per my Garmin GPS. Unlike 3 years ago when I had my car in OD at 81 mph at that same spot. This year that statie didn't even look up. BTW went to Court on the charge 3 years ago and my spotless driving record and display of respect for that particular Statie resulted in the offense being knocked back to 74 in a 70 and in 20 days it will drop off my VA driving record. Note, Michigan is NOT a member in the Compact of States so out of state simple infractions don't go in a Michigan drivers record.

Locoed

Sorry I didn't get an email informing me I got several responses.
The funny part was, after I got the ticket, my ex told me she paid them.
But she never did, so in 2003 a friend of mine told me I had a warrant. So I turned myself in.
Paid the fines, and the judge thru it out because so much time had passed. AND the DMV let me
Renew my license several times since the infraction. But that's Wayne county for you.

wizzi01

Sorry I didn't get an email informing me I got several responses.
The funny part was, after I got the ticket, my ex told me she paid them.
But she never did, so in 2003 a friend of mine told me I had a warrant. So I turned myself in.
Paid the fines, and the judge thru it out because so much time had passed. AND the DMV let me
Renew my license several times since the infraction. But that's Wayne county for you.

I got in trouble once (radio too loud for an officer) and went through 36th district. The judge told me if I kept clean for 6 months it will drop off my record. I get a letter 8 months later saying I had a warrant for my arrest for not showing up 6 months later to the court(the judge never said I had to return). There were like 50 people that showed up that Saturday that had the same issue. The judge cleared everyone's case once she saw how many people were there for the same thing.

OneForAll

In Michigan you get reckless, and you are ineligible for a CPL for 8 years. You won't have an issue.

Last edited:

OneForAll

by chance, IAW forum protocol, do you happen to have a cite for your statement(s)?

hummm....

Lol, sure... But then I would be doing your homework.

By the way, the reason I have so few post lately is because I got tired of, "No, that's not what I was told, heard, or thought" That and others just to lazy to do their own researcher. So here...

Scroll down to the 4th MCL underneath number 9. Then Next time prove me wrong before a failure attempt of calling me out.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1878_1591_3503_4654-10926--,00.html

Fallschirjmäger

Lol, sure... But then I would be doing your homework.
Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm pretty sure it's not Solus' responsibility (aka his 'homework') to provide any citation to the law to back up a statement you made. Perhaps the forum's Basic Rules are less than clear on who's responsibility things are.

(5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

Last edited:

solus

Considering the OP hasn't been back does it really matter.

kinda...
1. tis a forum rule.
2. tis a national public forum and the majority of the kinda knowledgeable members wouldn’t want to spread misinformation to the citizens of this great union, would we? that perception would make us worse then those bloody bloomies and antis, now wouldn’t it?
3. tis not a media which degrades nor can be erased so misinformation being espoused by unknowledable posters lasts quite a long time on the information highway!

so yes, it kinda matters wouldn’t you say?

Last edited:

OneForAll

kinda...
1. tis a forum rule.
2. tis a national public forum and the majority of the kinda knowledgeable members wouldn’t want to spread misinformation to the citizens of this great union, would we? that perception would make us worse then those bloody bloomies and antis, now wouldn’t it?
3. tis not a media which degrades nor can be erased so misinformation being espoused by unknowledable posters lasts quite a long time on the information highway!

so yes, it kinda matters wouldn’t you say?

To answer your question, yes it matters.

I know that if asked, I have to provide a cite to back up my statement. Had you just posted something to the affect of, "Thank you for the information, could you please post a link for the cite?" Or any politer way then how you came across would have been fine. When you finished your post off with, "hummm...." I seen it as, you thought I was full of it, wrong, misinformed, etc...

All's good, OP is good to go, and carry on everyone...

Maverick9

I know that if asked, I have to provide a cite to back up my statement. Had you just posted something to the affect of, "Thank you for the information, could you please post a link for the cite?" Or any politer way then how you came across would have been fine. When you finished your post off with, "hummm...." I seen it as, you thought I was full of it, wrong, misinformed, etc...

Thanks for the cite.

Cop an attitude with a cop - about $100
Chip on the shoulder forum posting, about a dollar, three-fitty.
Expecting there should be homework for those subbing to your newsletter? Priceless.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

What statute defines "RECKLESS DRIVING"? I can't find any. I can find a punishment, but no definition.

Fallschirjmäger

Well, just dang. In Michigan you don't even need to be driving on the road to have the traffic regulations apply. You could be in the middle of a frozen 20-acre lake and get a reckless driving ticket.