• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Roll Call! Looking to gauge interest!

ToMang07

Banned
I'm interested in getting together with some other open carry 2nd amendment advocates, anybody else interested post up where you are!

I'm Tom, my brother and I are in the Bridgton and Windham areas most of the time!

Sent while swerving into the wrong lane...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Moved this to the main Maine page so that it will get more exposure.

When you actually get a place, date and time settled then start a new thread and put it in Events.

Oh, and please don't text and drive - OCers are responsible people, not accidents looking for a place to happen. :uhoh:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It's a signature....and a joke.

Who would have known?

Signatures (sig lines) are added via your Profile and appear below a light blue line - they are automatically included with every post.

No intention to other than help you.

ToMang07

Banned
Who would have known?

Signatures (sig lines) are added via your Profile and appear below a light blue line - they are automatically included with every post.

No intention to other than help you.

It's just a standard tapatalk feature. I've been using a mobile. I can't even remember if I have an actual sig on here.

And I appreciate the help.

Just trying to gauge interest if there is any. Appears there isnt, unfortunately.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
Just trying to gauge interest if there is any. Appears there isnt, unfortunately.
I expect that activity/interest will pick up as it warms up and when GOMaine (Gun Owners of Maine) goes on-line.

Shane Belanger has been hard at work getting this ready. It has a polished look and something for everybody.

jonjon_jon

Gun Rally

I don't think the public has the stomach for this right now. It's not that I don't support the cause or gun rights. I believe if this is to be done it must be done wisely. We must think outside of the box and find a way to show our love of the second amendment, with our outrage of recent crimes commented with firearms in schools. Maybe a fund raiser to help victims, maybe not? I don't really know how or what? I do believe recent school shootings should be consider or you'll do more harm than good with rally right now.

ToMang07

Banned
I don't think the public has the stomach for this right now. It's not that I don't support the cause or gun rights. I believe if this is to be done it must be done wisely. We must think outside of the box and find a way to show our love of the second amendment, with our outrage of recent crimes commented with firearms in schools. Maybe a fund raiser to help victims, maybe not? I don't really know how or what? I do believe recent school shootings should be consider or you'll do more harm than good with rally right now.

Representing the gun community in a positive way never does any harm. And most people are not going to have a stomach for it if they're against guns anyway so it's really not going to matter.

Other than a couple little old ladies giving me the stink eye, I have never had a negative reaction from open carrying.

jonjon_jon

Representing the gun community in a positive way never does any harm. And most people are not going to have a stomach for it if they're against guns anyway so it's really not going to matter.

Other than a couple little old ladies giving me the stink eye, I have never had a negative reaction from open carrying.

Isn't that what I just said? With the mass shootings/killings of school children it's more important than ever to be sensitive to public concern. It's very important to represent ourselves as positive and caring concerned citizens. There's really no sense to debate this point with me as you'll never convince me otherwise. I'm pro gun but also a realist, we are in a politico fight for our lives to survive attacks to take our arms away and not being aware of public unrest after seeing their/our children shot down in cold blood is just foolhardy if you want to plan a gun rally or event. I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, but that it should be done tactfully.

ToMang07

Banned
Isn't that what I just said? With the mass shootings/killings of school children it's more important than ever to be sensitive to public concern. It's very important to represent ourselves as positive and caring concerned citizens. There's really no sense to debate this point with me as you'll never convince me otherwise. I'm pro gun but also a realist, we are in a politico fight for our lives to survive attacks to take our arms away and not being aware of public unrest after seeing their/our children shot down in cold blood is just foolhardy if you want to plan a gun rally or event. I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, but that it should be done tactfully.

And apparently you're a dear of fighting back is to lay down and give them what they want.

Real winning strategy right there.

You're sounding more and more like the anti-gunners from Connecticut.

If you're to scared to exercise your rights, too bad for you. But if there's ever a time to exercise your rights and show that there is nothing to fear; to show the public that most gun owners are good law abiding citizens; and that we won't let our rights be stamped out in fear, that time is now.

Cowering will not help our cause, by any stretch of the imagination.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Correctly gauging the anticipated result(s) of any effort simply makes good sense - that is the fundamental goal of successful public relations.

jonjon_jon

And apparently you're a dear of fighting back is to lay down and give them what they want.

Real winning strategy right there.

You're sounding more and more like the anti-gunners from Connecticut.

If you're to scared to exercise your rights, too bad for you. But if there's ever a time to exercise your rights and show that there is nothing to fear; to show the public that most gun owners are good law abiding citizens; and that we won't let our rights be stamped out in fear, that time is now.

Cowering will not help our cause, by any stretch of the imagination.

I doubt I'm to scared, been there done that before I ever heard of you. Was there at the beginning of MOCA and some of the people who have followed this forum for years know who I am cause I was there with them. So slow down chap, I'm just saying to you to be wiser than the anti gun crowd if you want to make a difference. Pick your battles wisely and always conduct yourself as a concerned citizen who respects other opinions even if yours may differ. You'll get further if the goal is to make a difference not just antagonize the general public.

Grundi

Done right, I think this would be a great event...

I'm interested in getting together with some other open carry 2nd amendment advocates, anybody else interested post up where you are!

I think an organized open carry event would be great. I'm in Lewiston and somewhat central.

jonjon_jon

I think an organized open carry event would be great. I'm in Lewiston and somewhat central.

I also think it would be good idea done tactfully. If done I'd like to see it tied into some kind of fund raiser even if it brings in just a few dollars. Something to help the public good. I like to see a donation going towards family violence or something in that line. It would make it harder for the anti's to paint us all with a broad brush as gun owners. Grapeshot stated that Shane Belanger was planning something with Go-Me later this year as the weather warms up. I'll ask the question now as I know Shane personally and he follows Opencarry.org Do you see the event being friendly to Open Carry crowd or do you foresee limiting it to concealed carry to protect the cause? I would understand either way, very aware many gun owner dislike the open carry crowd and believe it's doing more harm than good.

If Shane is planning to include all, my suggestion is wait and join forces with him this summer. There is power in numbers and Shane certainly has been through this before and also knows how to deal with the media.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
Grapeshot stated that Shane Belanger was planning something with Go-Me later this year as the weather warms up. I'll ask the question now as I know Shane personally and he follows Opencarry.org Do you see the event being friendly to Open Carry crowd or do you foresee limiting it to concealed carry to protect the cause? I would understand either way, very aware many gun owner dislike the open carry crowd and believe it's doing more harm than good.

If Shane is planning to include all, my suggestion is wait and join forces with him this summer. There is power in numbers and Shane certainly has been through this before and also knows how to deal with the media.
Don't have any specific knowledge of any event that Shane may have in the works yet.

BTW - the new name is [highlight]GOMaine![/highlight] (Gun Owners of Maine!) and does embrace/welcome all gun owners - not just those who OC.
Acceptance of this site has been extremely good - new members signing up with great regularity.
http://www.gunownersofmaine.org/

ToMang07

Banned
I also think it would be good idea done tactfully. If done I'd like to see it tied into some kind of fund raiser even if it brings in just a few dollars. Something to help the public good. I like to see a donation going towards family violence or something in that line. It would make it harder for the anti's to paint us all with a broad brush as gun owners. Grapeshot stated that Shane Belanger was planning something with Go-Me later this year as the weather warms up. I'll ask the question now as I know Shane personally and he follows Opencarry.org Do you see the event being friendly to Open Carry crowd or do you foresee limiting it to concealed carry to protect the cause? I would understand either way, very aware many gun owner dislike the open carry crowd and believe it's doing more harm than good.

Why do you keep posting? You don't seem interested short of doing a fundraiser. You want to do a fundraiser? Do it. Start a thread and go do it.

Me, I was just looking to gauge interest from people who DO want to OC, and maybe organize an event with like-minded people. (Second Amendment Advocates.)

I have been OC since I have owned guns, and CC'd since I was legally old enough. Never had a negative reaction or encounter. In fact quite the opposite, the few people who have said anything had only positive comments with maybe a few questions thrown in.

If you don't have any interest, you have no reason to post. This was a thread about organizing an OC meet. Not about your feelings or fundraisers. I could care less what anti-gunners feel or like, trying to appease them will never help our cause, and I won't give them an inch. It's my God given right to carry and protect myself and my property, and I have the backing of the Second Amendment. I will never heel to those that would have it any other way.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

If you don't have any interest, you have no reason to post. This was a thread about organizing an OC meet. Not about your feelings or fundraisers. I could care less what anti-gunners feel or like, trying to appease them will never help our cause, and I won't give them an inch. It's my God given right to carry and protect myself and my property, and I have the backing of the Second Amendment. I will never heel to those that would have it any other way.
We are on the same team - so suggest you go lightly there.

Threads will wander and expand a bit - that doesn't make them off-topic.

Be careful with use of deadly force to protect your property - that will likely cause you big problems.
http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/17-a/title17-Asec105.html

ToMang07

Banned

jonjon_jon

Why do you keep posting? You don't seem interested short of doing a fundraiser. You want to do a fundraiser? Do it. Start a thread and go do it.

Me, I was just looking to gauge interest from people who DO want to OC, and maybe organize an event with like-minded people. (Second Amendment Advocates.)

I have been OC since I have owned guns, and CC'd since I was legally old enough. Never had a negative reaction or encounter. In fact quite the opposite, the few people who have said anything had only positive comments with maybe a few questions thrown in.

I posted cause I wanted to gauge your leadership qualities, so I could decide if I wanted to be involved with the open carry event you were planning. Your response has told me all I needed to know. Thank you for your time.

ToMang07

Banned
I posted cause I wanted to gauge your leadership qualities, so I could decide if I wanted to be involved with the open carry event you were planning. Your response has told me all I needed to know. Thank you for your time.

Now there's a huge loss.

“A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost”

^Bottom line right there.

Last edited: