• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Romney's father an illegal?

ManInBlack

. . .

Where did it say that his father came to the U.S. illegally? You are aware that the father became governor of Michigan, right? I find Romney repugnant, but c'mon, man.

Last edited:

beebobby

Until I see the grandparents citizenship papers (the real ones), I'm gonna consider Mitt an anchor baby.

Last edited:

beebobby

It seems that his grandparents left Utah before it was a state to avoid prosecution for polygamy. Mitt's father was born in Mexico and was brought back across the border by his parents when he was five. I don't know the circumstances of his grandparents re-entry into the US. Mitt's fathers citizenship was questioned when he ran for Pres., but those inquiries were dropped when he ended his presidential bid. Considering some of the recent statements by Romney on immigration reform, the irony is priceless!

Beretta92FSLady

It seems that his grandparents left Utah before it was a state to avoid prosecution for polygamy. Mitt's father was born in Mexico and was brought back across the border by his parents when he was five. I don't know the circumstances of his grandparents re-entry into the US. Mitt's fathers citizenship was questioned when he ran for Pres., but those inquiries were dropped when he ended his presidential bid. Considering some of the recent statements by Romney on immigration reform, the irony is priceless!

Such ironies make me chuckle. I like it when individuals take hard lines.

beebobby

It will be interesting to see how the birthers spin this. It is a pretty convoluted situation.

ManInBlack

Sigh...

His grandparents never lost their American citizenship. The child of two American citizens is an American citizen regardless of where he is born ("natural-born" might be a different story).

Regardless, Mitt Romney was born in MICHIGAN, and there has never been any dispute about that. Even if his father had illegally crossed the border the day before, Mitt would be an American citizen. So, I must ask, why did you post this, and can you provide any reasonable justification for the wild suggestion you make in the thread title?

Last edited:

beebobby

If Romneys grandparents fled the US to avoid prosecution, wouldn't they forfit their citizenship?

ManInBlack

If Romneys grandparents fled the US to avoid prosecution, wouldn't they forfit their citizenship?

Care to cite any law that says that?

Regardless, it wouldn't have any effect on Mitt's status. He was, again, born in MICHIGAN.

Last edited:

KBCraig

Sigh...

His grandparents never lost their American citizenship. The child of two American citizens is an American citizen regardless of where he is born ("natural-born" might be a different story).

Regardless, Mitt Romney was born in MICHIGAN, and there has never been any dispute about that. Even if his father had illegally crossed the border the day before, Mitt would be an American citizen. So, I must ask, why did you post this, and can you provide any reasonable justification for the wild suggestion you make in the thread title?

The argument being floated (it's not my argument, just so we're clear about that) is that someone born outside the U.S. is a natural-born citizen only if both parents were U.S. citizens at the time of birth. So, it matters to that particular theory if George Romney's parents were U.S. citizens.

ManInBlack

The argument being floated (it's not my argument, just so we're clear about that) is that someone born outside the U.S. is a natural-born citizen only if both parents were U.S. citizens at the time of birth. So, it matters to that particular theory if George Romney's parents were U.S. citizens.

Thanks for pointing that out for me. An interesting hypothesis, to say the least.

OK, let's assume for a minute that one or both of George Romney's parents did lose their citizenship somehow...a believer in such a theory would have to also believe that George Romney, who came to the United States as a young child, waited until he was at least 40 years old (the time of Mitt's birth) to become naturalized...

Occam's Razor doesn't lend much credence to this one, IMO.

jammer

WRONG---WRONG, even if he was born to two us citizens, and they were outside the U.S. when the child was born, that child would not be a natural born citizen. The only way that child, could be a natural born citizen, is by being born on American soil, (like a U.S. military base or an American embassy, OR IN AMERICA PERIOD.) If he was born to two U.S. citizens not on AMERICAN SOIL, then he is a naturalized citizen, not a natural born citizen. Therefore not able to be president of the U.S.A. I rest my case...