• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

San Diego area Open Carry meet (La Mesa)

Firemark

The last car show of this summer will be held in downtown La Mesa this Thursday Aug 25th. 5-8pm
http://www.lmvma.com/SeasonalEvents/Car-Show.aspx

Por Favor Restaurant and Cosmo Coffee house are 2A friendly. As always do your own research on GFSZ's. pretty much all of the main downtown strip is clear (from my own research, but you do your own as well). Near by La Mesa Methodist is Preschool only no k-anything. (I called to check, but make your own call to be sure). Figure since its a show with crowds, no need to meet anywhere specific, im sure we will bump into each other eventually. Show up early for good parking, Recomend California casual attire, not UCR (urban combat redneck), as always bring recorders and advise sterile carry for your protection. La Mesa PD has had UOC training (mostly by us regulars) hopefully their hands have stopped shaking by now.

RSVP if your going so we all know, this may be one of the last times before AB144 gets decided on.

dumbbe11s

Is the UOC meet in La Mesa still on in light of the officer involved shooting in El Cajon, where an officer was seriously injured on Monday (22AUG2011)? [ http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Suspect-Dead-in-Officer-Involved-Shooting.html ] If so, is there a way we can visually show our support and condolenses for said officer? LE could be aggressive as a result of one of their own being shot and not be too friend to anyone UOCing.

Firemark

Looks like Ruiner and I will still both be there. Plus who knows others sometimes show without RSVP. I wouldnt worry to much. spoke with watch lieutenant awhile back at length and held some public relation training sessions with the beat officers, I dont think they forgot this soon. They may be a little bit edgy, but we will just have to be aware and be ready to deal with it. Our rights dont end because crime occurs, and in the same breath Im not going to be difficult with any LE, ill be supportive and helpful so long as they dont infringe my rights.

Firemark

Awesome to meet new Open Carriers and old friends, great crowd, vintage car show was great to see, congrats Elsensei on your prize win. Only 1 E check done by La Mesa PD dont have the video yet, if its worth posting ill put it up. Apparently 2 beat cops saw my weapon but completely missed the open carrier standing next to me. (DOH! :eek:)

Tried to be friendly and warm and conversational, apparently they just wanted to check and get the heck out of there, didnt even put my weapon all the way back in my holster.

Handed out lots of flyers and answered lots of questions, not 1 negative interaction.

Oktoberfest in La Mesa is weekend of Sept. 30th pencil in your schedules. will post string when it gets closer.

dumbbe11s

Nice to meet some of the guys at the car show and put some names to faces. Had one curious FED agent contact me, flash his badge and was amazed that anyone would OC. I gave him one of the fliers that he was reluctant to take, but I offered it in the context of education. Other than that I got plenty of looks, mostly good but a few dirty, disapproving glances.