• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Schools go into lockdown after volunteer asks to 'open carry' handgun

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Al, it appears she entered the school to ask permission while wearing an openly carried pistol on her hip. BTW, the school does not violate the law by going into "lockdown", the school did violate the law by saying she can't openly carry her pistol in the school, despite her showing them her CPL.

Xpiatio

She was all in her right to open carry at the school. BUT I think she should have asked permission before she brought it. She was a volunteer. Although well intentioned. The time and place to present the gun at the school is always a touchy subject.

FreeInAZ

Sorry for being the Bull in a china shop but, WTF is wrong with school administrators? Just another example of "opinion enforcement". There is a reason "they" are so hell bent on brain-washing the "children" to see anyone who has a firearm (no matter how lawful that activity is) as evil, crazy, criminal. If you get to them young enough "they" think they can disarm the law-abiding classes without a fight in a matter of a few generations. They maybe right. Hence expelling kids for making finger guns or chewing a pop-tart into a toy pistol. :banghead:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Sorry for being the Bull in a china shop but, WTF is wrong with school administrators? Just another example of "opinion enforcement". There is a reason "they" are so hell bent on brain-washing the "children" to see anyone who has a firearm (no matter how lawful that activity is) as evil, crazy, criminal. If you get to them young enough "they" think they can disarm the law-abiding classes without a fight in a matter of a few generations. They maybe right. Hence expelling kids for making finger guns or chewing a pop-tart into a toy pistol. :banghead:

I don't know if you saw the video, but, if you did, the parent of another child interviewed for the story are really the problem. The school board, as the constitutionally elected representatives of the community, are given the power to direct the functioning of the school district. The board could very easily tell administrators to follow the law and amazingly...it would most likely happen. When there are a number of parents that express the sentiments of the parent who was interviewed, boards are going to be loathe to do anything other than follow the "perceived" will of their constituents.

HPmatt

Video of concerned Dad - he said he moved up there from Flint, and now it is much 'safer'. Actually the Dad with the 'Cal' ski hat is wrong in that regard - looks like his kids are completely unprotected. His interview didn't sound like the elementary schools have armed security guards, so being a GFZ, the place is wide open for potential shooters to attack w/o risk of anyone shooting back.

I did take the quiz at the end of the news article - should law-abiding citizens be allowed to OC guns into schools - 75% of responses were YES.

FreeInAZ

I don't know if you saw the video, but, if you did, the parent of another child interviewed for the story are really the problem. The school board, as the constitutionally elected representatives of the community, are given the power to direct the functioning of the school district. The board could very easily tell administrators to follow the law and amazingly...it would most likely happen. When there are a number of parents that express the sentiments of the parent who was interviewed, boards are going to be loathe to do anything other than follow the "perceived" will of their constituents.

DrTodd -while I know your post comes from a well meaning place, it is akin to saying since a local mayor is constitutionally elected they will of course appoint a police chief who will instruct their officers to follow the law,and not attempt to enforce policy/opinion as law. Sorry, life has taught me that rarely happens. Usually the opposite occurs, a lacky is placed that will do the bidding of the boss man. I suspect school boards are not much different. They are usually comprised of people (union /supplier/ etc ties) staging to move up the political ladder, not well meaning folk who want to do the right thing for the school district and the parents/kids they serve. Any idiot can get elected to a school board for less than $5,000 & city council seats go for about $10,000 from what I've seen. As to the video, of course they interview the ghetto rat from Flint. They looked at him and said there's our anti, roll tape!

Sorry to be a kill joy. But the poop head politician factory cranks them out in hoards at the local level. Sadly, where most people don't watch nor vote. These poop heads only grow stronger as the as they move to the state houses & eventually the halls of congress & the white house. Want to stop weeds, rip them out in your own back yard, before they have a chance to spread. Or we get the government we deserve.... :(

B

Bikenut

Is this going overboard, or what?

Millington Schools were briefly put on "modified lockdown" early Monday afternoon following an incident involving a gun.

I'm sort of on the fence. On the one hand, I'd like to think the schools my boys go to would react this way to the threat of a gun on school property. On the other hand, this was someone "asking permission" to exercise her right to self defense.
My sons are now grown and no longer in school but I do have grandkids still in school and I'd much prefer to have several parents/teachers/hell.. even the janitor.. carrying guns to address the next whacko that shows up wanting to shoot all the kids because it's a "gun free zone" (otherwise known as a "fish in a barrel zone") with a hail of bullets that put the whacko down before he can shoot up all the kids "locked down" in their classrooms.

In my not so humble and likely not popular opinion.......

The idea that banning guns (or locking down schools) will stop killings is a cowardly victim mentality that harm to most can be prevented by appeasing the killer with enough easy victims to sate his appetite to do harm (run out of bullets). The same mentality some animals in the wild have when they run away hoping the jackals will leave the herd alone because they will be busy eating the slow and infirm that couldn't run fast enough.

The thing is... if the herd (armed teachers/parents/janitors) were to turn and confront the jackals and stomp them into the dust not only would the herd survive but so would the slow and infirm.

OC for ME

Is this going overboard, or what?

Millington Schools were briefly put on "modified lockdown" early Monday afternoon following an incident involving a gun.

I'm sort of on the fence. On the one hand, I'd like to think the schools my boys go to would react this way to the threat of a gun on school property. On the other hand, this was someone "asking permission" to exercise her right to self defense.
A properly holstered handgun is a threat? It seems that conflating situations is OK now. Ya know, school shooters are technically open carrying.

A citizen follows the law, lawfully by the way, goes the extra mile, so to speak, and apparently complies with the "no way Jose" and she is the threat to the children's safety.....sheeze.

22Luke36

Her mistake was in asking.

If you ask, you have acknowledged that you do not actually have the right to do what it is that you are doing.

Acceptance of a CPL is just how you make that statement publicly and legally.

Last edited:

22Luke36

Lockdowns have NOTHING to do with keeping kids safe from shooters.

All the shooter has to do, is go outside and start shooting into the barrel, er, classroom. It would be easier to assault a school in lockdown actually. Plan on one guy going in shooting, take out anything that moves; that will initiate a lockdown situation at the school. As soon as the lockdown happens, send the rest of the team around the building at which point they could in most cases find excellent cover from the building itself, but also have an open view of the class from a bank of windows, instead of attacking through a doorway from the hall.

Last edited:

TheQ

All I will say (because she's asked me not to repeat what she told me) is:

1. I know the woman this story is about.
2. This story is filled with inaccuracies.

DeSchaine

Simpler to ask forgiveness than permission, as the saying goes.

Personally, I think thank any school or school system that goes into lockdown because of a lawfully carried, holstered firearm on a person that has legitimate reason for being there, should be sued for slander and defamation of character. They, in essence, are saying that even though we are following the law, as well as taking it upon ourselves to protect other people and their children should the need arise, we who carry are no better than any common criminal. That runs them afoul of MCL 750.730 in my eyes.

notalawyer

All I will say (because she's asked me not to repeat what she told me) is:

1. I know the woman this story is about.
2. This story is filled with inaccuracies.

How is that possible? This story conatins hardly any information: She went into the school armed. They put the school on lock-down. :confused: