• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Screwed by the Cooch, AGAIN!

Thundar

Yup, the Cooch doesn't even sigh up for defending gun rights of 18-20 year olds. Screwed again.

From Ammoland:

Twenty-one state attorneys general have co-signed an amicus brief filed by Alabama Attorney General Luther Strange in support of the National Rifle Association’s challenge against a federal law that restricts the sale of handguns to young adults aged 18 – 20.

“Young adults, many of whom have fought and sacrificed life and limb for their country, should not be prohibited from fully exercising their fundamental Right to Keep and Bear Arms,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director of NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action. “The Second Amendment should receive no less respect than our other enumerated constitutional freedoms.”

The states joining Alabama in the amicus brief are Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Utah, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

Link: http://www.ammoland.com/2013/09/22-...endment-rights-of-young-adults/#axzz2dqHOJYw4

Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

va_tazdad

OMG, Not the Cooch!

Yup, the Cooch doesn't even sigh up for defending gun rights of 18-20 year olds. Screwed again.

From Ammoland:

Twenty-one state attorneys general have co-signed an amicus brief filed by Alabama Attorney General Luther Strange in support of the National Rifle Association’s challenge against a federal law that restricts the sale of handguns to young adults aged 18 – 20.

“Young adults, many of whom have fought and sacrificed life and limb for their country, should not be prohibited from fully exercising their fundamental Right to Keep and Bear Arms,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director of NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action. “The Second Amendment should receive no less respect than our other enumerated constitutional freedoms.”

The states joining Alabama in the amicus brief are Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Utah, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

Link: http://www.ammoland.com/2013/09/22-...endment-rights-of-young-adults/#axzz2dqHOJYw4

Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

At least he wasn't as stupid as Bloomers. Bloomers actually said minors aren't mature enough to be allowed to buy guns.

Just another idiot that doesn't remember just who protects him in the military! (The 18-20 year olds in the military/infantry are the main "gunners" at the squad level)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The Virginia Attorney General has been known to file an amici separate from the herd of other states' AGs. Until the bell sounds ending the time for fioling amici it is unfair to say Cuccinelli has chosen to ignore the case.

stay safe.

Thundar

Bump -

The Virginia Attorney General has been known to file an amici separate from the herd of other states' AGs. Until the bell sounds ending the time for fioling amici it is unfair to say Cuccinelli has chosen to ignore the case.

stay safe.

Still crickets from the Cooch. I know he is running for a different office, but he is still the Attorney General. Why has he abandoned gun owners?

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Still crickets from the Cooch. I know he is running for a different office, but he is still the Attorney General. Why has he abandoned gun owners?

Because his career takes precedent? Unfortunately, thanks to the "vote GOP or be anti!" types, there's no incentive for the GOP to give a crap about gun owners. They believe they have our votes regardless.

The Wolfhound

It is hard to abandon.....

That which you never supported in the first place. Ken has said nice things about gun owners and bad things about gun owners. As previously mentioned the "R" party thinks they own us because we cannot willingly vote for the "D" party when guns are an issue. It ignores the other options of third party votes or not voting at all.

Repeater

Screwed by the SCOTUS

While you are all bloviating about Ken the Cooch, SCOTUS continues to F. us over:

Alan Gura responds to Supreme Court not taking up Woollard gun carry rights case -- By Emily Miller
Alan Gura is disappointed the Supreme Court said Tuesday that it would not take up a challenge to Maryland’s “may issue” carry laws, but he is determined to get a high court ruling on the right to bear arms.

“This is far from the last chance the Court will have to rule,” the lead attorney in Woollard v. Gallagher told me in an interview Tuesday. “While disappointing, cases continue to develop in lower courts and one may prove to be more attractive to the Supreme Court.”

On a larger scale, the the lead attorney in the landmark Heller case in 2008 is deeply concerned about lower courts turning away most gun-control cases by simply deferring to the legislature.

“The Supreme Court needs to rule on the lower courts using rational basis review, which it clearly forbade in Heller” said Mr. Gura. The civil right lawyer is referring to Justice Antonin Scalia’s majority opinion which said that a higher level of scrutiny must be applied when judging restrictions on constitutional rights, especially fundamental ones.

“If the Court doesn’t address the issue, then the Second Amendment is largely a dead letter — it would become mostly unenforceable because there is no such thing as a gun law for which the legislature or police can’t offer a hypothetical justification.”

The high court ought to take up key Second Amendment cases before President Obama has the chance to appoint anti-gun liberals to flip the majority.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
The other thing Scalia made clear, which Alan Gura et al refuse to acknowledge (despite having been directly told before), is that the SCOTUS will do nothing with regard to concealed carry licensure.

Gura etc. don't care about OC (as evidenced by the suits they elect to bring), and I don't care about them or their litigation.

I do agree that rights advocates need to stand together, but individuals and organizations who have made it their raison d'etre to litigate over the right to ask permission to exercise what ought by be a right in and of itself, are neither friends nor allies of right. They are merely the litigative arm of the concealed carry license training industry lobby.

They have made this clear through their actions over the years. I stand by this assessment.

Last edited:

nuc65

Activist Member
Because his career takes precedent? Unfortunately, thanks to the "vote GOP or be anti!" types, there's no incentive for the GOP to give a crap about gun owners. They believe they have our votes regardless.

I repeat my other post here:
[h=2]Voting for the lesser of two evils[/h]
I have thought some more on the argument that one should vote for the "lesser" of two evils. Being #RINO or #lib**** but I think this flies in the face of everything I believe in. I also believe it is a failed non-viable long term strategy. It makes no change when change is needed and it lacks meaning on the spiritual, intellectual and personal level. So I will vote as I believe, for whoever I believe will make change, embrace my constitution, repair the damage done to liberty, etc. etc. etc. and I guess I don't care who falls for the false argument of voting for the lesser of two evil because we'll lose if you don't.

Hey, I hate to point this out to you. But we've LOST! We have lost dignity and respect, truthfulness and freedom. Your strategy of the "the lesser of two evils" has failed. Get over it, get on with it.

I am also waiting for the day when I am pulled over, or need to get on an airplane and instead of ID I am asked for my proof of personal medical insurance. Sadly, I am not joking.

So, I will stand for liberty and freedom and RKBA and vote who I best believe matches my beliefs. It isn't Bloomberg-puppet or establishment no-idea whats-his-face (hard to remember because quite frankly his ads are all about bloombast puppet guy).

77zach

The other thing Scalia made clear, which Alan Gura et al refuse to acknowledge (despite having been directly told before), is that the SCOTUS will do nothing with regard to concealed carry licensure.

Gura etc. don't care about OC (as evidenced by the suits they elect to bring), and I don't care about them or their litigation.

I do agree that rights advocates need to stand together, but individuals and organizations who have made it their raison d'etre to litigate over the right to ask permission to exercise what ought by be a right in and of itself, are neither friends nor allies of right. They are merely the litigative arm of the concealed carry license training industry lobby.

They have made this clear through their actions over the years. I stand by this assessment.

Exactly. And if the SC gave the whole country OC, it wouldn't be too long before NJ, MD, NY etc started "shall issue' concealed carry. Reason being once people started OCing around Baltimore and Trenton, those anti states would want to do everything they could to encourage people to hide those dirty nasty guns.

Thundar

Palmer v. DC is the last hope for a SCOTUS Ruling on Bearing Arms

Though I wish it were otherwise, it has become abundantly clear that as far as SCOTUS is concerned regulation of concealed carry is not something that they will take up. Gura has had many at bats and each time he has struck out. It has been a good fight, but further litigation creating bad precident is not what the pro gun side should be seeking.

What they need is a clean (open carry) bear arms case.

This is exactly what they have in Palmer v. DC. DC is the only place left in the US with an outright ban. Palmer is a game we cannot afford to lose.It was so important that over two years ago Chief Justice Roberts took it out of the hands of District Court Judge Kennedy for taking too long. Ironically Senior Judge Scullins is taking even longer.

What I fear is that DC will actually pass a may issue scheme and really f%&$ it up.

If you care about the right to Bear Arms, pay attention to Palmer v. DC.