• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattke/King County OC Report

Grim_Night

I'm a bit surprised that the supervisor did not request to see your CPLs, especially if loaded.

Because they have no authority to even ask.

RCW 9.41.050 Carrying firearms.

(1)(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so.

If you can find anything in the RCW that states that I am required to display my CPL to any employee of any municipal bus service as required by the above quoted section of the law, then feel free, but I have found nothing that supports this.

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

I'm a bit surprised that the supervisor did not request to see your CPLs, especially if loaded.

Well, first they would have to ask if it was loaded. That is a question I would not have to answer in either direction. They would not have proof that my magazine was empty or loaded and it would require extra handling to check the chamber.

I have had drivers, in the past, ask to see a CPL but according to one of the drivers that I had on a regular basis, they had been instructed to not call it in and to not ask the customer for any info. While in the bus tunnel in Seattle I heard a call over the radios about me, they wanted the police to investigate. I was on a bus by then and already on my way to a different location so the police would have been biting their tails. It's odd stuff that you remember the most.

mnrobitaille

Because they have no authority to even ask.

If you can find anything in the RCW that states that I am required to display my CPL to any employee of any municipal bus service as required by the above quoted section of the law, then feel free, but I have found nothing that supports this.

Well, first they would have to ask if it was loaded. That is a question I would not have to answer in either direction. They would not have proof that my magazine was empty or loaded and it would require extra handling to check the chamber.

I have had drivers, in the past, ask to see a CPL but according to one of the drivers that I had on a regular basis, they had been instructed to not call it in and to not ask the customer for any info. While in the bus tunnel in Seattle I heard a call over the radios about me, they wanted the police to investigate. I was on a bus by then and already on my way to a different location so the police would have been biting their tails. It's odd stuff that you remember the most.

So King County Metro seems to care less about RCW 9.41.050 Carrying Firearms, as in order to carry a loaded firearm within any vehicle within the State of Washington, the person must have a valid CPL. How would they know if a person OCing is carrying legally within regulations if they don't ask?

As part of King County Metro's Code of Conduct, it states: "Carrying flammable liquids, flammable or nonflammable explosives, acid or any other article or material of a type or in a manner that is likely to cause harm to others. However, cigarette, cigar or pipe lighters, firearms, weapons, and ammunition may be carried if in a form or manner that is not otherwise prohibited by law or ordinance."

sudden valley gunner

So King County Metro seems to care less about RCW 9.41.050 Carrying Firearms, as in order to carry a loaded firearm within any vehicle within the State of Washington, the person must have a valid CPL. How would they know if a person OCing is carrying legally within regulations if they don't ask?

As part of King County Metro's Code of Conduct, it states: "Carrying flammable liquids, flammable or nonflammable explosives, acid or any other article or material of a type or in a manner that is likely to cause harm to others. However, cigarette, cigar or pipe lighters, firearms, weapons, and ammunition may be carried if in a form or manner that is not otherwise prohibited by law or ordinance."

They have no "right" to know.

Freedom1Man

They have to believe that you are following the law until you act in such a manor as to show that you're not.

Since OC is legal and you're exempt from needing a CPL under conditions listed in 9.41.060. If you are boarding a bus, you must be walking somewhere. What is the difference between walking and hiking? Is walking around not a lawful outdoor recreational activity?

Their job is to transport you not be law enforcement. Is it your job to check everyone who does OC (a pistol) to ensure that they are atleast 21 and not prohibited? If the bus driver can check then why would the police not be able to under your reasoning?

Do not demand tyranny when I show you freedom.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Difdi

Their job is to transport you not be law enforcement. Is it your job to check everyone who does OC (a pistol) to ensure that they are at least 21 and not prohibited? If the bus driver can check then why would the police not be able to under your reasoning?

If a bus driver asks to inspect your CPL, I wonder how they'd react if you asked to inspect their commercial driver's license?

()pen(arry

Most people don't notice, and most who do show little or no reaction, but once in a while someone will notice me open carrying somewhere like the grocery store, and they most certainly do care, and the reaction is usually great.

Turns out, people inclined to shoot up schools don't generally open carry into the Roosevelt Safeway and buy a box of wine† at the self checkout, but the attendant who came to confirm my age couldn't decide if he should card me or keep staring at my PPQ. He's looking back and forth between my face and my pistol, completely incapable of deciding what to do. His expression is totally blank, except for HUGE dinner plates eyes. So I just stood there, laughing my head off on the inside, just waiting to see how long it would take him to do something. Eventually he hit the bypass code and said have a nice night, and walked away staring at my pistol like it was the biggest, perkiest pair of [strike]titties[/strike] breasts on the planet. I almost said, "Hey! My eyes are up here!" but I didn't want to make it anything more than the completely mundane event it should have been.

I carry at that Safeway at least twice a week, usually OC, and have never had a problem. In fact, this is the first time I've gotten more than a surprised look.

† Yeah, that's right, don't hate. We also have numerous cases of high-quality stuff shipped from Sonoma every year, but for every day table wine, BHR is cheap and almost palatable.

Last edited by a moderator:

decklin

Nothing wrong with boxed wine. I once attended a wine tasting where the host was very adamant that you shouldn't be focused on the price or packaging. He said, "drink what you like."
Many people when confronted with the unfamiliar just go into lockdown. From there they are incapable of completing the most basic of tasks. It can be amusing and disturbing to witness.
I may use the "eyes up here" line.

Freedom1Man

Nothing wrong with boxed wine. I once attended a wine tasting where the host was very adamant that you shouldn't be focused on the price or packaging. He said, "drink what you like."
Many people when confronted with the unfamiliar just go into lockdown. From there they are incapable of completing the most basic of tasks. It can be amusing and disturbing to witness.
I may use the "eyes up here" line.
Drink what you like, carry what you like.

That is on the right track.

Freedom1Man

OC in two Issaquah area restaurants.

First one Mandarin garden (?) was both strangely thanked for OC and was told that some idiot left his pistol in their bathroom last Tuesday for over an hour before he noticed he had left it in the bathroom of the restaurant.

Then today at Uncle Si Pizza, the manager came out to talk to me about carrying, thought I was about to be asked to leave, the bit about not having children see the gun... Then it turned into a small discussion, and was invited back armed and all.

He was unsure about it, I explained that we are an OC state, that I did not go into the bar because I was carrying, he had had police officers carry but I was the first non-police officer to OC into that restaurant. I let him know that having OC customers reduces the likelihood of being robbed. That and my being polite turned what was almost a no carry establishment into a, welcome to carry establishment.

I believe that I have done more good for OC this weekend.

Also did OC at the Hobart flea market, selling homemade soap and candles.

rapgood

OC in two Issaquah area restaurants.

First one Mandarin garden (?) was both strangely thanked for OC and was told that some idiot left his pistol in their bathroom last Tuesday for over an hour before he noticed he had left it in the bathroom of the restaurant.

Then today at Uncle Si Pizza, the manager came out to talk to me about carrying, thought I was about to be asked to leave, the bit about not having children see the gun... Then it turned into a small discussion, and was invited back armed and all.

He was unsure about it, I explained that we are an OC state, that I did not go into the bar because I was carrying, he had had police officers carry but I was the first non-police officer to OC into that restaurant. I let him know that having OC customers reduces the likelihood of being robbed. That and my being polite turned what was almost a no carry establishment into a, welcome to carry establishment.

I believe that I have done more good for OC this weekend.

Also did OC at the Hobart flea market, selling homemade soap and candles.

Well done!