• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Selecting for duty, chose .45 ACP need suggestions!

DWCook

Activist Member
I got a job offer to do government contracts and I have the option to provide my own firearm. I'm choosing .45 as it's the best for stopping power as I most likely will not be trying to shoot huge distances while on duty. They gave us the option to choose 9mm, .40, and .45 caliber. What's everyone's opinions with S&W M&P .45 series, used a .40 version back with a previous contractor and the grip is extremely comfortable. After S&W I can't stand how Glock fits in my hand. For $600 or less you can pick one up and I figure that is a heck of a deal for a quality .45 pistol with tons of aftermarket support.

WalkingWolf

I got a job offer to do government contracts and I have the option to provide my own firearm. I'm choosing .45 as it's the best for stopping power as I most likely will not be trying to shoot huge distances while on duty. They gave us the option to choose 9mm, .40, and .45 caliber. What's everyone's opinions with S&W M&P .45 series, used a .40 version back with a previous contractor and the grip is extremely comfortable. After S&W I can't stand how Glock fits in my hand. For $600 or less you can pick one up and I figure that is a heck of a deal for a quality .45 pistol with tons of aftermarket support.

It boils down to mostly personal preference making it hard to advise on a specific caliber, though some will. All three you listed are good, S&W makes a darn good handgun, you can't lose with one. Each caliber has it's advantages and setbacks. I carry both 40 and 45 to me it really does not matter, they both go boom, and send a chunk of lead downrange. What type of government contracts?

DWCook

Activist Member
well I convinced myself and bought a FNH FNS 9mm LE Edition and put on order RIP 9mm rounds.

Going to be doing Government storage sites for startes, obviously can't say where lol!

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If you want real stopping power get away from wimpy handgun calibers. There is an option that comes mounted in a handgun platform, but it gets sneered at.

5.57mm (.224 cal) slices through bullet-resistant vests and will chip away ceramic plates enough to let a bullet get inside. 1,600 FPS+ and 330+ ft/lb of energy. The vaunted .44 Mag and .500S&W might, maybe, do that some of the time.

The bullet does not expand so much as it shatters, creating a wound cavern as opposed to a would cavity - much like the 5.56mm/.223 cal round coming out of the highly recommended for self/home defense poodle shooter.

Google for recent information about the comparison of the various self defense calibers - they all meet the FBI's 12-inch penetration standard and the temporary would cavity does not vary that much between calibers.

"Stopping power" is based on two factors - the stopping of bodily functions that support aggressive behavior (disrupting the CNS for a "drop right there" effect or the rapid leading of essential bodily fluids for a "pretty much done for by 10 minutes) or achieving a psychological surrender. There are those that add a pelvic girdle shot, but that just puts the body down without really interfering with aggressive behavior. Some folks psychologically surrender when they see a gun-like object pointed at them, while some folks keep on fighting for 10-15 seconds after having their heart blown into tiny shreds.

Pick a caliber that you like and learn how to place it in an appropriate spot time after time after time. Sometimes that means choosing a caliber that does not begin with "4" because of the ability to handle the handgun better, and sometimes it means choosing a caliber that does not begin with "4" because you are happier cramming a few more rounds in the magazine.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
well I convinced myself and bought a FNH FNS 9mm LE Edition and put on order RIP 9mm rounds.

Going to be doing Government storage sites for startes, obviously can't say where lol!

http://media.photobucket.com/user/misterbossmannick/media/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg.html?filters[term]=nelson%20ha%20ha&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=2

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w186/vaskidmark/ultimatefacepalm-1.png

http://media.photobucket.com/user/abcfoxy/media/ROFLMAO.gif.html?filters[term]=roflmao&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=20

You are trying to pull our leg, right?

stay safe.

Kopis

is that a joke? RIP rounds have less grains than your standard 9mm FMJ not to mention the hornady 147gr critical defense rounds, also available in p+.... those rounds are a joke.

What makes the FNX an "LE" edition? I had an FNX 9mm for awhile. good gun, terrible holster selection.

DWCook

Activist Member
What is everyone's deal with 9mm rounds? !?!. Let's not make this my round is bigger than your round. 92 grain is perfect, for having just enough to pierce and not end up going out the other side.

solus

ya skid let's step up the get-up & go with the 5.7x28 aka Five-seveN who's rounds produce a muzzle V at around 2.3K +/-, 340+/- energy...

nice pistol with 20+1 on board and due to the polymer frame contributes to minimal recoil which makes it quite pleasant to shoot with superb accuracy.

or so i have heard

ipse

solus

What is everyone's deal with 9mm rounds? !?!. Let's not make this my round is bigger than your round. 92 grain is perfect, for having just enough to pierce and not end up going out the other side.

i like 9...as stated i switched to once caliber many years before the ammo crisis and been quite satisfied with FN firearms...

ipse

DWCook

Activist Member
Yeah I'm happy with my choice as I have huge selection when it comes to rounds and the quality of FnH itself. Love the looks and it's a comfortable and smooth shooting pistol! Honestly don't need a 40 or 45 caliber version as the 9mm with good rounds is just as effective.

solus

dwcook, if you need repair, FN's repair facility inbound has some glitches but they were nits in my opinion and their repairs were top notch IMHO...

ipse

The Truth

I loved FNH and had my heart set on an FNP40 for the longest time...until I could afford a Sig ;)

JustaShooter

Nice firearm, good caliber, but cancel the order for the RIP rounds and buy something that has passed muster in the real world, like Winchester Ranger T, Speer Gold Dot, or Federal HST.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I have an M&P 45 full size with the 4 inch barrel and it a a great shooter. Typically superb M&P handling and feel and the balance with the 4 inch barrel is excellent for me. I have the Apex Tactical DCAEK installed in this gun but kept the factory OEM trigger spring. The pull weight is 5 pounds with an almost 1911-like break. For your purposes, I would suggest using the stronger trigger spring that comes with the kit if you should decide to instal the DCAEK.

This is my favorite .45ACP pistol. Go for it.