• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Senator Mike Green, and NRA backed MCRGO, propose partial OC Ban

Evil Creamsicle

State Senator Mike Green, and NRA backed MCRGO are joining forces to try to partially ban open carry. It hasn’t been introduced to committee yet, but it is drafted and reported to be making it to committee imminently.

http://mcrgo.org/doc/sb0442.pdf

I know this is just another post on the internet, but for the love of your God or lack thereof, this is important. Send an email, make a call, make so much noise your reps can't help but listen.
Unless you hate rights. But I assume you wouldn't be here then.

Word is he is going to pull out all the stops/up-sleeve aces/tricks/etc.
In the meantime, we are already ready to try to stop him from several years ago when we campaigned against SB59. A few tweaks, and our pre written material is ready. Take action by clicking here and spending a few minutes.

Note that this pre written material contains both pro and anti gun views so that you can recruit the help of ANY politically inclined person you know. Feel free to modify them as necessary.

EDIT: Files are too large to attach. Get them HERE.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

It appears that the NRA/MCRGO/Senator Green are all pushing this bill? If that's correct? The people of MI need to raise hell! Just my honest opinion. Listen to the NRAs & MCRGO lawyer talk about this bill in a recent radio interview. Pay close attention to the terms & %'s he uses when speaking of OC.

Show titled 'Attorney Steve Dulan, Independence day' good show, interview starts after the half hour mark.

http://atoddsshow.com

FreeInAZ

PS - the At Odds show is a great place to not only pick up news about what's going on in MI, but national news too, with a pro civil rights / pro gun rights flavor.

I highly recommend this show to fellow citizen patriots.
:thumbsup:

taxman

Banned
The good is that the bill gets rid of CPL boards and instructs the county clerks to issue CPLs like they issue marriage licenses.
Plus there are provisions for getting an expedited 'emergency CPL'.
Still not fond of a 'six month waiting period' to establish residence before being allowed a CPL.

The bad: No OC in a PFZ, need a special Exemption Indorsement (why do lawyers have to use the old British spelling?) to CC in a PFZ.
So, the common CPL or LEO loses his ability to OC in a PFZ without gaining anything other than the ability to ask for an exemption.

Raggs

I thought we'd already done away with gun boards, but there's a lot of county clerk permit issuance language in 0442.

Issuing the exemption not a CPL. The exemption is supposed to be shall issue. The Bill as it is not won't be the one the Gov vetoes however.

Scooter123

Kind of Jumping the Gun aren't we.

This is a bill that elminates the Gun Boards, transfers that authority to the County Clerk, and provides an Exemption that would permit a CPL holder to carry CONCEALED on school property. I'll grant that I didn't look beyond page 34 because I was getting cross eyed with all that legaleze but this bill seems to be correcting some rather antiquated institutions and provides a path for someone with a CPL to gain an exemption permitting them to carry concealed at School Functions.

DeSchaine

Once again, the only thing the government is doing is trying to punish and hammer down the law abiding public. Its them trying to bury their heads in the sand and NOT deal with the fallout from the pending cases.

taxman

Banned
This is a bill that elminates the Gun Boards, transfers that authority to the County Clerk, and provides an Exemption that would permit a CPL holder to carry CONCEALED on school property. I'll grant that I didn't look beyond page 34 because I was getting cross eyed with all that legaleze but this bill seems to be correcting some rather antiquated institutions and provides a path for someone with a CPL to gain an exemption permitting them to carry concealed at School Functions.

See my exchange with Raggs and Michigander immediately above. I was wrong, and you're falling into the same trap I did.

Once again, the only thing the government is doing is trying to punish and hammer down the law abiding public. Its them trying to bury their heads in the sand and NOT deal with the fallout from the pending cases.

Yep, if we let this pass, it moots all the pending lawsuits against illegal school board actions. The good news is that Mrs Snyder-Bloomberg will never sign it, as it provides an avenue towards CC in schools.

OC4me

I read the entire text of the proposed bill last night. Opposed...opposed and opposed!

It is a whole lot of unnecessary legalese and just adds crap and distortion to an already verbose statute.

The simple and Constitutionally correct thing to so is to just eliminate gun free zones altogether and be done with the insanity.

For that matter, let's go Constitutional Carry and along the way eliminate pistol registration plus decriminalize loaded car carry sans CPL.

What is Senator Green drinking? Why on earth does he think creating more convoluted statutes is the way to restore gun rights? Can someone clue him in on the simple concept that less is better?

OC4me

Ok just sent my letter to Senator Green:

"Dear Senator Green and staff,

I am writing in opposition to SB0442 for reasons discussed below. Further, I suggest a better approach to eliminating dangerous pistol free zones.

First, I oppose SB0442 because it would criminalize lawful open carry in PFZs. Why infringe on a Right in the name of compromise? Besides Gov. Snyder would certainly veto SB0442 unless schools were allowed to opt-out (an opt-out amendment would defeat any logical benefit of SB0442). I know you wouldn't favor the opt-out but the fact remains that SB0442 would most likely be vetoed anyway.

Why not leave open carry alone and just eliminate pistol free zones for concealed carry holders? Then, even if there was an opt-out amendment for schools, law-abiding citizens would still have the option to open carry as they have the legal right to do now. Maybe Snyder would even sign the bill (since he says we wants the opt-out). Just take open carry off the table from the start, thank you!

Frankly, I don't know why Michigan is so far behind the times these days in efforts to restore 2nd Amendment rights to its citizens. Have you considered eliminating pistol registration and removing the restrictions on loaded vehicle carry? How about Constitutional Carry?

There is so much to do to advance our rights, yet you are proposing trading one right away in the name of compromise. There is no need to compromise on our fundamental rights. Stop thinking in terms of weakness and recognize that the grass roots movement to restore our Constitution is strong, gaining momentum and is here to stay. I think that your resignation to 'compromise' is a relic of earlier times. I hope that you re-calibrate somewhat (and please stop listening to the NRA as they too are mentally stuck in an earlier by-gone era. Either that or they don't like freedom . . . as peaceful open carry truly represents).

Once again, I urge you to drop SB0442 and consider just flat-out eliminating pistol free zones entirely without sacrificing open carry.

By the way, I have two children and am deeply concerned for their safety.

Thank you!"

Last edited:

Hevymetal

See my exchange with Raggs and Michigander immediately above. I was wrong, and you're falling into the same trap I did.

Yep, if we let this pass, it moots all the pending lawsuits against illegal school board actions. The good news is that Mrs Snyder-Bloomberg will never sign it, as it provides an avenue towards CC in schools.

Agreed, this is one of the most convoluted garbage bills I have ever suffered to read.

They are dangling a carrot in front of our noses thinking eliminating gun boards will cause us to support this type of nonsense.

Why would this bill negate the pending lawsuits? Since the boards actually did commit an illegal act at the time. If they legalize recreational marijuana usage in the Nov election does that mean anyone convicted and jailed for possession will be let free? I think not. Although high dollar lawyers can interpret the law in any way that benefits their clients.

FreeInAZ

The good news - many have figured out that this is a junk crappy bill.

Add even better news: a constitutional carry (group of bills) have been released!

Now the bad - Tricky Ricky Snyder, is bought & paid for by Bloomberg money! The chances of the majority in both houses (R), over riding his veto, should the bills make it to his desk? Slim to none. :(

taxman

Banned
The good news - many have figured out that this is a junk crappy bill.

Add even better news: a constitutional carry (group of bills) have been released!

Now the bad - Tricky Ricky Snyder, is bought & paid for by Bloomberg money! The chances of the majority in both houses (R), over riding his veto, should the bills make it to his desk? Slim to none. :(

I've been calling him Mrs Snyder-Bloomberg for over a year now, since he politically married Mikey for his money and ordered legislative leaders not to let any gun bills come to a vote before the 2014 elections.

Since all the other RINOs in the state spent the rest of 2014 proving they care more about Snyder-Bloomingidiot than they care about Michigan, I say to Hell with the entire Repugnant Party.