• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi,,, arrested in Mexico!

1245A Defender

I can't believe this hasn't been posted before!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/28/us/mexico-marine/

An FUQ...

Tahmooressi is accused of illegally entering Mexico with three weapons. His family maintains that he legally owned the weapons and accidentally crossed the border. It is illegal to bring guns into Mexico. Mother Jill Tahmooressi told CNN Wednesday that her son had made an innocent mistake. "He is relieved that he'll be able to go before the judge and explain precisely how he made that accidental wrong turn and ended up in the dilemma that he's in right now," she said.

The case has draw attention from several U.S. lawmakers and U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, who told CNN Wednesday that he spoke with Mexican authorities about it last week. "We are working on determining whether or not certain evidence that has been presented is meeting the standard that's necessary to be able to hold that young Marine, and we're trying to find out exactly what the fact pattern is, but we are working on that," he told Chris Cuomo on CNN's "New Day."

911 call: 'I crossed the border by accident' "I'm at the border of Mexico right now. And my problem is, I, I crossed the border by accident and I have three guns in my truck and they're trying to take my guns from me," the Marine told a 911 dispatcher in March. In a recording of the call released by U.S. Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-California, the Marine appears unsure of whether he crossed the border and exasperated that Mexican authorities are trying to take his weapons.
"There's nothing I can help you with then, sir," the 911 dispatcher says after learning he's in Mexico. "I do apologize. You're not on American soil anymore."

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
It's very easy to take a wrong turn (confusing signs and on/off-ramps) and end up at the Mexican Border!

I know, because it happened to me one dark night in El Paso, TX, some years back, but I was able to make a U-turn still within sight of the American side, then explained to the US Customs Officer what happened. Thankfully, they had seen me do the U-turn, believed my "story" and passed me through into the US with no issue and no search of me or my car, just passed me through. THANK GOD! And yes, I had a gun in the car -- perfectly legal in the US but will get you "life" in SORRY MEXICO (if you don't get killed in jail first). In my case, that would have been jail in Juarez, Mexico. Some time later, they put up "No Guns" signs on the freeway (I-10) to WARN tourists NOT to bring guns into Mexico, so I guess it happened too often.

Consequently, I believe this Marine's "story" 100%...no doubt in my military mind whatsoever.

I first heard about Mexico being stricter on checking cars going into their sorry country was when those Indians in Chiapas ("rebellion") were causing trouble for the Mexican Government in the early 1990s, so they didn't want any "gun-running" going on to help the Indians. But this Marine wasn't running guns, to the Indians or the Drug Cartels...he just got on a one-way street with no OFF RAMPS to make turn around. Even getting caught with ONE ROUND OF AMMO on you or in your car will get you arrested. A MISTAKE, but the Mexican "legal system" doesn't care.

And I bet -- you won't hear anything about this "practice" in the news -- the also SORRY MEXICAN LAWYERS bled the Marine's family in the US to death $$-wise...that's what they ALWAYS to do when they jail Americans: Hit their families for $$, and draw everything out as long as the money lasts (and, you have to PAY for everything in a Mexican jail, too). EVERYONE gets paid-off in that crap-hole country: It's one of their cherished/cultural "traditions" -- La Mordida. I even had to pay some of the sorry cops off myself -- when they threatened to take me to jail for some "traffic violation" that never happened -- just so I could get back to the safety of the US side. And after I handed the criminal cop the $$, I got back to the US side quickly as possible, I assure you!

It's VERY SCARY over there, as there is NO LAW and "the authorities" (joke) do WHATEVER they want (and many Mexican city police and even the National Police (Federales) -- proudly drive stolen American cars, as about 500 cars/month are stolen in El Paso, TX, then driven over to Mexico. I stopped going to Mexico about 25+ years ago due to how corrupt & dangerous the place was...and that was BEFORE the drug wars making it MORE dangerous! It got to the point that I NEVER went to Mexico without a phone # of a high-ranking Mexican politico (or high-ranking Federale) in my pocket to CALL in case some Mexican city/state cops(s) tried to set me up/throw me in jail. And believe me, it doesn't take much (or anything) for that to happen. They are the predators, you are the prey, period.

I could write a book on sorry Mexico, their cops, and their jails. Lived in El Paso, TX, (although it's on this US side of the Border, it's too much LIKE Mexico) 44 years and saw it first hand and experienced it personally as well. It's one big reason I moved from the area: Didn't want to live in Mexico (El Paso)...no English required.

Now, if "First Lady" (another joke) Michelle (since her sorry husband isn't doing jack for the Marine in Mexico -- pretty shameful after all the hoopla re: Memorial Day, his trip to the Sandbox, and saying "he cares" -- what a crock) would spend time working to help Americans (probably more then we know) in Mexican jails and do something to help that Christian woman in Somalia/Yemen/Sudan (whichever stone-age hell-hole country she's in -- they're all the same), married to an American man and sentenced to death for refusal to recant her faith -- instead of wasting her time on the nonsense/trivial/don't-mean-nothin' issues like school lunches (as seen in today's news) -- that'd be a WHOLE lot more helpful to Americans in trouble abroad. AND to their families here.

Being an American Citizen used to mean something, and the government would to take to task any foreign powers (unjustifiably) messing with us.

Not anymore.

Used the be the same way for ancient Roman Citizens: Woe be to any foreign power messing with Roman Citizens -- until later on, that is, when Rome gave just about anyone "citizenship" (earlier, it had been very exclusive and not at all easy to get). Then, citizenship didn't mean much anymore, either. By that time though, the Roman Empire was in serious decline.

What a coincidence...and we (America) aren't even close to lasting 1000 years...

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
The last poster is 100% right about the mexican justice system.

Here is my advice: never travel to non-NATO countries

The US has zero pull in most non-NATO countries.

Mexico is not a NATO country.

Its advice I have given for years and years. Mexico is terrible .. always looking for $$$ in even simple things ... I know one person who died there and it cost 10K to get the body over the boarder to come back home

Saxxon

If we had a real president the Marines would be going in to get back their own. The wreckage and carnage would be such that the next time someone made a wrong turn into Mexico they'd get a parade back to the United States.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
You betcha -- I agree 100%. That's how things SHOULD get done, especially when just taking about it (and "caring") doesn't do jack.

...but sadly, those be "The Old Days" and America (and it's sorry excuses for "leadership" going WAY back) is just too "civilized" (AKA: "sissified") even to use harsh words.

If nothing else, Obama should tell sorry Mexico NO MORE AMERICAN $$ are going there -- not just Federal American-tax-payer $$, like the $$ WASTED on their "War on Crime" (joke, just lining Mexican pockets) down there, but even all the $$ (and it's a LOT) that Mexicans (illegals or not) here are sending back home -- until the Marine is out of jail and brought to a Border Crossing within 24 hours...or we're coming to get him any way we choose.

But again, those be The Old Days. The Paper Tiger America of today is a disgrace...and a Global Joke.

P.S. @ Saxxon:

Show up at one of our 2 next OC events (Castle Rock & Aurora) for the month of June and I'll cover your tab -- you be Da Man! Congrats again on your settlement...

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
The US has never had very good luck getting citizens back from Mexico.

Send in the Marines? Must think this is 1880.

The guy broke Mexican law ... if he's looking for the US to get him out, I would be very surprised if it happens.

Primus

The US has never had very good luck getting citizens back from Mexico.

Send in the Marines? Must think this is 1880.

The guy broke Mexican law ... if he's looking for the US to get him out, I would be very surprised if it happens.

Lol holy crap I agree with this. +1

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
1. There is no "law" in Mexico, they make it up as they go along. It's only there to make people $$, has nothing to do with justice.

2. No, I do NOT think it's 1880...I'm much more MODERN than that, thank you -- I'd say 1905 would be more accurate. :)

Last edited:

Kopis

Ive read they are supposed to let you turn back at the smaller crossings if you tell them you didnt mean to cross but im not sure of the accuracy of that statement. you know how stuff you read on the internet is.

I had a friend of mine do something similar. He took a short stint into a canada with his carry pistol and was surprised they didnt honor his CCW permit lol. I told him he was an idiot. amazingly, he didnt end up in jail. He spent about two hours getting interviewed by CBP and his truck was searched several times.

acmariner99

This whole situation is a CF. I do believe that Andrew never intended to enter Mexico. I know about the crossing into TJ from San Diego - there are concrete dividers about a quarter mile from the border. If you are in the wrong lane, you can't get to the poorly marked U-turn about 100 feet from the physical boundary. Most other U-turns on the border are just as close to the line and are also not well marked. If you are good at geography and know what you are looking for you can easily tell you are getting close to the border, but there aren't many options for last minute notices to turn around.

That said, the Marine did break Mexican law. If there is one thing the Mexican gov't cracks down on full bore, it is weapons being brought across the border, even if it is completely unintentional. I hope some discretion is used and the judge lets Andrew return to the US, but I wouldn't count on it. Issues on the border with Mexico are turbulent and US/Mexican policy is extremely hypocritical on the part of both gov'ts, but that is a moot point IMO. I think the Mexican customs officer was willing to let him go back to the US, but when a call was made, a Mexican marine came on scene, said "hell no," and arrested him on the spot. (Fox News is tracking this whole story pretty closely).

I used to go to Mexico fairly often, mostly to various border cities (I was dating a Mexican national at the time). Stuff down there is dirt cheap, the people are friendly, the food is terrific, and if you aren't being an idiot and use common sense, most places are reasonably safe. I even spent a couple weeks in Juarez without issue. I have had encounters with Mexican law enforcement and the military and never once was I threatened. Heck, I even struck up a conversation about their gun laws with one officer. All of this was made easier because I knew the language fairly well. Because I knew what I was getting into, I did thorough searches of my vehicle before I left and checked and double checked again at the border town well before reaching the fence. That being said, there really should be better warning and ample opportunity to abort the crossing if you are going in the wrong direction.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
Well, I think I could tell you some stories of the Dark Side you apparently haven't experienced walking on the sunny side of the street (so far). Like the time my "contact buddy" and I were sitting in an unmarked Federale car in a dark side street in Juarez, and what THAT was all about. And the time my brother had an ashtray thrown at him by a prostitute (because he wasn't interested/buying) in a fairly decent Juarez bar but we had to split because the cops run/protect THAT trade there, and would have arrested HIM for the incident. And seeing 2 Juarez cops rolling a drunk in an alley. And other "reality" stories. But I'll pass...

[True, all the above could also happen in Bangkok, Manila, and other such places, as all 3rd World countries are the same -- risky. I know Saigon was -- but back then for good reason! ;-)]

Yes, Mexico USED to be safer AND okay re: prices and such -- supermarkets and restaurants -- but when prices increased, there was no point in going over to, for example, the Del Rio supermarket (Juarez) anymore, as Americans did big-time in the 60s and 70s. Nope, no reason at all...too much risk. And all it takes is one "experience" and you'll remember it for life (if you survived it).

Even a minor fender-bender over there gets your car impounded -- good luck EVER getting it back.

Yes, there are LOTS of Americans (Mexicophiles) who like to go to Mexico but IMO, they're victims waiting to happen, and they do so at their own risk. Much like in the US re: people who COULD carry a firearm for self-defense -- but refuse to -- they are victims waiting to happen also. At least here in the US, we CAN protect ourselves...not so in Mexico. See what happens if you try/do. And then see what our government does to help you. Or get your impounded car back (and it's not stripped IF you do).

The El Paso Chamber of Commerce advises tourists to "Visit sunny Old Mexico" and meet "Our Friendly Neighbors to the South."

Yeah, right...

So...does Mexico REALLY sound like such a great place to visit -- let alone LIVE there? You think you actually OWN any property you buy in Mexico? You don't, but that's another topic...

So no, to the wise it isn't such a great place after all.

I'm sure Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi will stay FAR away form the Mexican Border in the future...when/if he ever gets back. I just hope others don't have to learn all that the hard way, as he did.

Good luck to those who think it IS a great place and go there anyway, but I'll never be going to "Old Mexico" ever again...unless I get confused (again) and make a wrong turn, that is...which will be pretty hard to do here from Colorado as it'd be one HECK of a long wrong turn.

I will, however, be visiting El Paso in June...but I know my way around there now.

I hope.

;-)

Last edited:

solus

this is beginning to be a trend david, as i once again agree with your assessment...

it is now harder and harder to respond positively to the young man's contention 'i accidentally...'

also notice a lack of information why the young man had the firearms and amount of ammo with him in the first place....hummm? (wonder if ATF is checking his firearms purchases)

'friad i have to mark this story off to 'you're a dumb $hit' doing something you knew was illegal and guess what...you got caught!

i am absolutely and unequivocally positive i would have asked for a receipt and sacrificed the firearms when the Federalez showed up in lieu of spending 60 +days in a Mexican hoosegow.

cloudcraft, you and i, as does everyone else on the forum, know he won't stay away as i do not believe it is his belief he did anything wrong and there is the real possibility, at least in my mind, his excursions were possibly nefarious in nature.

ipse

Last edited:

HPmatt

Visiting family in El Paso we haven't been across the border since the 80s. Too dangerous - you'll either get killed or kidnapped. Brother-in-law has some businesses in Old Mexico and never crosses border at the same place or in same car; sometimes flies in then drives back. Of course the drug lord families live in peaceful El Paso too. Certainly miss the red chile Mexican food here in Dallas. Definitely a place to carry a weapon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk