• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting in Quantico base...

usaf0906

imported post

DrMark wrote:
cbackous wrote:
DrMark wrote:
thnycav wrote:
They will also be cited for posing a firearm on federal property.
What law does firearms possession on Federal property violate?

As much as this topic comes up on gun-related forums, I've never seen an explanation for this.
I believe its 18 USC § 930. firearms in federal Facilities
No, that is only applicable to buildings, not to Federal property in general.

"As used in this section ...the term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties."

Well wouldnt a military base be full of buildings owned or leased by the federal government, where federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties?

As far as firearms being allowed on base, I believe the base commander has a little flex with this, but obviously it is still federal property.

If you think this doesnt apply, or that you should be allowed to carry, since it is for a "lawful purpose" (self-defense) go ahead and try to be the test case. I think I have a pretty good idea how it will turn out.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well at least on the bases around here, firearms carry is not proscribed generally. There are a lot of people carrying weapons, but all of them are involved in exercises or activities of one kind or another. So what IS proscribed is carry by certain types of people. A civilian carrying a weapon in an area OTHER than a designated hunting location or range would be stopped for sure. But the sight of 120 soldiers on the road in full battle gear is not rare, and of course that sound of gunfire is a constant as are explosions of all kinds.

Regards

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

cbackous wrote:
DrMark wrote:
cbackous wrote:
DrMark wrote:
thnycav wrote:

As much as this topic comes up on gun-related forums, I've never seen an explanation for this.

"As used in this section ...the term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties."
Well wouldnt a military base be full of buildings owned or leased by the federal government, where federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties?

As far as firearms being allowed on base, I believe the base commander has a little flex with this, but obviously it is still federal property.

If you think this doesnt apply, or that you should be allowed to carry, since it is for a "lawful purpose" (self-defense) go ahead and try to be the test case. I think I have a pretty good idea how it will turn out.
Of course a military installation is full of Federal facilities, and of course an installation Commander has discretion via policy, and of course USC18s930 applies to the facilities on a military installation (note the signs on the doors).

I simply would like to learn what law would be in play for civilian weapons posession on Federal property outside of Federal facilities. If you were commenting on that, then, I'm sorry, I missed your point.

Note, for example, the recent modification of Federal regulation preventing carry in National Parks. We'll soon be able to carry on that Federal property, though USC18s930 will still apply to the facilities thereon.

thnycav

imported post

Ft Eustis and Ft Story are the same strict inspections and they are still doing it. I would think Ft Bragg would do the same.

nova

imported post

DrMark wrote:
Note, for example, the recent modification of Federal regulation preventing carry in National Parks. We'll soon be able to carry on that Federal property, though USC18s930 will still apply to the facilities thereon.
Well that's kinda crazy...you can carry in a National Park but you're not allowed to use the restroom!!! :banghead::what:

CRF250rider1000

imported post

nova wrote:
DrMark wrote:
Well that's kinda crazy...you can carry in a National Park but you're not allowed to use the restroom!!! :banghead::what:
I think you are supposed to just give your gun to someone to hold while you are in the bathroom:uhoh:

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
nova wrote:
DrMark wrote:
I think you are supposed to just give your gun to someone to hold while you are in the bathroom:uhoh:

"I've gotta pee... Can I get you to hold something for me?" :uhoh:

But seriously, some on various gun forums have pointed out that stand-alone restroom facilities typically don't have "Federal employees regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties" as per USC18s930.

However, bathrooms in facilities like Visitor Centers... :X

altajava

imported post

DrMark wrote:
cbackous wrote:
DrMark wrote:
thnycav wrote:

So what about carrying at a national cemetery?

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

IIRC National Cemeteries are operated by the VA. The service members buried there served to fight for our rights and now to visit them you have give up your right to bear arms.

:cuss:

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
IIRC National Cemeteries are operated by the VA. The service members buried there served to fight for our rights and now to visit them you have give up your right to bear arms.

:cuss:
I'm with you there, Wolf. I REALLY wish I could CC at the VA hospital when I go there, too. Have you ever SEEN some of the characters there? There isn't any "gate" to keep the riff-raff out of the place and its full of degenerates just hanging around. They never go anywhere, they just sit there. I've been in and out for my appointments and they're still in the same place. Weird.