• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shots Fired on I95 PWC

eyesopened

imported post

http://www2.insidenova.com/isn/news/local/article/shots_fired_in_i-95_road_rage_incident/54455/

UPDATE: More than a dozen shots fired in I-95 road rage incident

traffic_generic.jpg

By Kari Pugh
Published: March 23, 2010
Updated: March23,2010

» 27 Comments | Post a Comment

manassas_jour976:http://www2.insidenova.com/isn/news/local/article/shots_fired_in_i-95_road_rage_incident/54455/
1[/i]
voteBuzz up!

DUMFRIES, Va.—Tempers flared and gunfire erupted on southbound Interstate 95 during Tuesday’s evening rush hour.

Troopers say the driver of a silver Jaguar fired at least 13 shots at a dump truck driver after miles of aggressive driving through Woodbridge.

It started when the driver of a 2007 Ford F550 dump truck was attempting to merge into the southbound lanes of I-95 from Va. 123 and encountered the 2004 Jaguar traveling southbound on I-95. The drivers of the two vehicles began driving aggressively, state police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said. While heading south on I-95, the dump truck struck the Jaguar two times, she said.

As they approached the 159 mile marker, the two vehicles ended up on the left shoulder and pinned against the jersey wall. At 4:23 p.m., the driver of the Jaguar got out of his car—leaving his 2-year-old daughter inside—and started firing a handgun at the dump truck. The truck driver, a 44-year-old Woodbridge man, pulled away into traffic. His truck was hit by at least four of the 13 rounds fired by the Jaguar’s driver, Geller said.

The 25-year-old Jaguar driver then followed after the dump truck. Trooper B.W. Coleman stopped both drivers at the 154 mile marker.

The Jaguar driver was arrested at the scene and charges are pending, Geller said. He and his daughter were not injured.

The driver of the dump truck was charged with reckless driving. He was not injured either.

Geller said the men’s names will be released once charges are officially placed against the gunman.

State police had no reports of other vehicles struck by gunfire.

In a study by AAA Mid-Atlantic, Washington drivers said they felt more threatened by aggressive drivers than by drunken drivers.

AAA reports that men are more likely than women to be involved in road rages incidents and, surprisingly, drivers with children are more likely to respond aggressively.

Communities editor Kari Pugh can be reached at 703-878-8056.

I'm interested to see the if the firearm was carried legally. Was the driver under the assumption that his life and the life of his daughter was in danger so he fired upon the dump truck driver? I've noticed that I'm a more courteous driver when I'm carrying, as well as being generally more polite as I don't want to get involved in an incident as this.

If this happened in front of you (lets say they stopped right in front of you), are you legally allowed to engage? If a guy starts popping off rounds in front of me, I'd feel threatened. Would I have to compel him to stop and do a citizen's arrest?

Just some questions that come to mind when I read this story...

hunter45

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
While heading south on I-95, the dump truck struck the Jaguar two times, she said.

Good for him. It should be legal to put a-hole aggressive drivers into the wall. I can't even count the number of times I have wanted to do that.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

You just can't let people get to you. I just ignore them and keep my hand on my pistol out of sight just in case they do something stupid. One guy used a straight lane to turn left into our turn lane. He pulled up next to us in stopped traffic and cussed us out with his kids in the back seat. It's a shame that his kids will grow up like that.:( I did feel threatened though because he was leaning out the window screaming at myself and my parents. If he had felt the need to actually get out of the car I would have had to do something because he was one of those 40y/o guys who goes to the gym 24/7. Must be the roids talking :p

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

eyesopened wrote:
As they approached the 159 mile marker, the two vehicles ended up on the left shoulder and pinned against the jersey wall. At 4:23 p.m., the driver of the Jaguar got out of his car—leaving his 2-year-old daughter inside—and started firing a handgun at the dump truck. The truck driver, a 44-year-old Woodbridge man, pulled away into traffic. His truck was hit by at least four of the 13 rounds fired by the Jaguar’s driver, Geller said.

So the shooter was stopped on the side of the road, pinned up against the Jersey wall next to a dump truck, a BIG DUMP TRUCK (read "huge, can't miss kind of target") and he only hit the truck "at least" 4 times out of 13?

Dude needs more range time....and maybe some anger management classes.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ProShooter wrote:

So the shooter was stopped on the side of the road, pinned up against the Jersey wall next to a dump truck, a BIG DUMP TRUCK (read "huge, can't miss kind of target") and he only hit the truck "at least" 4 times out of 13?

Dude needs more range time....and maybe some anger management classes.
I agree on the range time:lol:

Anger management....naw. I wouldn't have shot him but someone would be going to the hospital. I think he had plenty to be angry about.

Pagan

imported post

Being pinned against that jersey wall by a dumptruck would certianly lead me to believe that I was about to be harmed in some way for sure, but the story seems to read that both drivers were driving like @$$holes during the whole incident.

Is'nt that the same as picking a fight with a person just to get them to try and hurt you, so that you could shoot them?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Pagan wrote:
both drivers were driving like @$$holes during the whole incident.

Is'nt that the same as picking a fight with a person just to get them to try and hurt you, so that you could shoot them?
I think that's gonna be the big sticking point and what's gonna get him convicted. It's really stupid to continue driving like that with children in the car.

Boy am I glad I don't have to go through that every day.:X

dcmidnight

imported post

Especially acting like this with a kid in the car...?

Once I stopped commuting on 95 my blood pressure dropped 30 points - so glad I dont deal with that anymore.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TFred wrote:
peter nap wrote:
bohdi wrote:
Man, it's things like this that make me glad I have a 3 mile commute.
Makes me glad this is the nearest highway

normal_road.jpg
What caused that huge lens flare?

TFred
I got lazy and took it through the windshield. The flare is really the reflection of a blaze orange hat on the dash.
A bear had just run across the road at the bend and I missed the shot.

TFred

imported post

peter nap wrote:
TFred wrote:
What caused that huge lens flare?

TFred
I got lazy and took it through the windshield. The flare is really the reflection of a blaze orange hat on the dash.
A bear had just run across the road at the bend and I missed the shot.
Ah, that explains it... now that you mention it, it doesn't really look much like a lens flare at all. :)

TFred

bohdi

imported post

13 shots to stop the threat? I'm wondering what this guy had. I'm also thinking he's damn lucky he didn't hit anyone else with his misses. Or maybe he did and it's too early to know.

Xeni

imported post

I doubt he can use self-defense as a legal defense here as his hands were not clean. That he chose to go tit-for-tat with the other party even if the other was the agressor means that he lost his legal protections, does it not?

If he had de-escalated and showed that he was no longer a willing combatant and was attacked again - I can see a case here but me thinks he's lost all legal protections and will get shown the end of the hammer of justice.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

xdm guy wrote:
peter nap wrote:
bohdi wrote:
Man, it's things like this that make me glad I have a 3 mile commute.
Makes me glad this is the nearest highway

normal_road.jpg
I thought they paved highways now :lol:
Go South Young Man!
They pave highways in the North and the middle and East try to copy them. The South likes things a little more relaxed....and we don't have road rage.

We don't have enough traffic:lol:

Just remember, the road to Hell is paved with many things...one of them is asphalt.