• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shots Fired on I95 PWC

Uber_Olafsun

imported post

I bet driving down some of those roads regularly also help to keep you regular. Just knocking everything loose. Makes me think of when I used to live in Iowa. Wasn't uncommon to drive to someones house and hear drive to mile marker whatever and take next right on dirt road. Then take the second dirt road after that.

eyesopened

imported post

http://www2.insidenova.com/isn/news/crime/article/95_incident_states_second_involving_guns_this_month/54515/

95 incident state’s second involving guns this month
By Uriah A. Kiser
Published: March 24, 2010
Updated: March24,2010
» 2 Comments | Post a Comment

manassas_jour976:http://www2.insidenova.com/isn/news...tates_second_involving_guns_this_month/54515/
vote
nowBuzz up!

Update 11 p.m. Wednesday: Both drivers arrested on attempted murder charges. Click here to read more.

WOODBRIDGE, Va.—Firing a gun in the middle of a busy roadway has happened twice in Virginia in the last few weeks.

That method of dealing with road rage landed a 25-year-old Woodbridge man in jail without bond Tuesday. State police say Gabriel Poventud fired 13 shots at a dump truck on Interstate 95 south during evening rush hour Tuesday.

On March 15, a 69-year-old man driving on a neighborhood street in Pittsylvania County, near North Carolina border, rammed his car into another vehicle four times and then got out and fired a gun in the air before speeding off.

Tuesday’s road rage incident on I-95 began near Va. 123, as a dump truck driver tried to merge from the express lanes onto the main lines. The truck driver twice struck a 2004 Jaguar sedan in his way, sparking a highway fight.

After fighting for position, the truck and sedan ended up pinned together against a Jersey wall near Va. 234.

State police said Poventud then got out of his Jaguar, brandished a handgun and fired 13 shots at the dump truck, striking it four times. His 2-year-old daughter was in the car at the time.

No one was injured.

Drivers on the heavily congested interstate watched in shock.

“I was right behind the shooter’s car, and that dump truck rammed the Jaguar on purpose. And then, when he backed up and the two interlocked their fenders, the dump truck again rammed that Jaguar, on the driver’s side on purpose,” said motorist Jim Leavells, who was behind the Jaguar.

Gunfire is not common on area roads, but weapons have been used in 37 percent of all reported cases of road rage in the U.S., according to AAA Mid-Atlantic.

“More than 1,500 people are killed or injured in road rage incidents each year in this country and when you add a gun to the mix the situation is more likely to spiral out of control,” said AAA John B. Townsend II. “Gun-toting drivers are more likely to become involved in road rage incidents, study after study has confirmed.”

Studies have shown that young men, and young adults overall, have admitted to making obscene gestures, cursing or blatantly shouting at other drivers while they were carrying a handgun, said Townsend. He quoted a 2006 Harvard study of 2,400 drivers, which showed motorists who carry guns inside their car are more likely to engage in road rage.

Both Poventud and the dump truck driver – 44-year-old James Bringham of Woodbridge – face charges stemming from Tuesday’s road rage incident.

Poventud is charged with child endangerment, attempted homicide, use of a firearm in the commission of a felony, shooting a missile into an occupied vehicle and reckless use of a firearm, state police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said.. Bingham is charged with reckless driving.

State officials urge drivers to stay calm behind the wheel, to ignore eye contact or rude gestures and not to return them if they are displayed by another driver.

Drivers should also avoid blocking the passing lane. If going slower than other drivers, get out of the left lane, said Geller.

Staff writer Uriah A. Kiser can be reached at 703-878-8065.

Can anyone pull up this study where they say those with firearms are more likely to be involved in road rage. I find myself being a more courteous driver when carrying, but maybe that's just me?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

State officials urge drivers to stay calm behind the wheel, to ignore eye contact or rude gestures and not to return them if they are displayed by another driver
Right!:X

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I find myself being a more courteous driver when carrying, but maybe that's just me?
I think the reality is that most of us tend to be more courteous in general when carrying, but especially when OC'ing.

If there's any merit to the study at all, it's that people who carry are more likely to stand their ground even when not armed.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

"Studies have shown.... " Standard opener for most anyunsubstantiated agenda driven propagandized histroniclib-tard drivel.

GWRedDragon

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
“I was right behind the shooter’s car, and that dump truck rammed the Jaguar on purpose. And then, when he backed up and the two interlocked their fenders, the dump truck again rammed that Jaguar, on the driver’s side on purpose,” said motorist Jim Leavells, who was behind the Jaguar.

Glad the dump truck driver isn't getting off with just reckless driving. It sounds like he actually did try to kill the other guy.

I wonder if the Jaguar driver has a self-defense argument? I guess the problem would be that he was involved in building the argument, but I'm sure he can argue that he was merely an innocent victim...

eyesopened

imported post

http://wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1920841

Gun involved in 'road rage duel' legally owned March 26, 2010 - 12:57pm
Gabriel Poventud (Photo courtesy of Virginia State Police) DALE CITY, Va. - The gun that police say was used to fire 13 shots during a road rage duel on Interstate 95 was legally owned, WTOP has learned. Gabriel Poventud, 25, and James Bringham, 44, have been charged with attempted murder in the altercation that began at the height of Tuesday's afternoon rush hour. Police say Bringham, the driver of a 2007 Ford F550 dump truck, tried to merge into the southbound lanes of I-95 near Route 123, shortly after 4 p.m.
Police say the drivers then "began engaging with one another in an aggressive manner."
The dump truck struck the Jaguar Poventud was driving twice.
Both vehicles ended up on the left shoulder of the highway, pinned against the Jersey wall. That's when Poventud got out of his car and started firing at the truck. The dump truck pulled away into traffic, but was struck more than four times by the 13 rounds, police say.
Police say Poventud had his 2-year-old daughter in the car during the incident. No one was hurt by the gunfire.
Poventud did not have a prior history of mental illness or a criminal background that would have prohibited him from having a gun.
The information that the gun was owned legally has supporters on both sides of the debate weighing in.
"It shows that even people that legally have guns do stupid things and make mistakes, and that's one of the risks that goes with having more guns in more places," Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, tells WTOP.
"Too many people who have guns get angry, get drunk, do something stupid and when that happens, all of us are endangered. It's why we need to treat guns very seriously and make sure that it is not too easy for dangerous people to get guns," Helmke says.
Phillip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, suggests the dump truck driver should have been armed himself.
"Why should he have been murdered helplessly? He should have been able to protect himself. I don't care who it is -- if it was an off-duty police officer that cracked and started doing that. You still need to be able to save your life, if you are the innocent life," Van Cleave says.
"Your life is precious. Things happen in this world. Crime can happen at any time. Owning something legally doesn't mean you can't misuse it. Basically our view is that you should be able to protect yourself and should be prepared to do so at any time."
WTOP's Adam Tuss contributed to this report.
(Copyright 2010 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)
DALE CITY, Va. - The gun that police say was used to fire 13 shots during a road rage duel on Interstate 95 was legally owned, WTOP has learned. Gabriel Poventud, 25, and James Bringham, 44, have been charged with attempted murder in the altercation that began at the height of Tuesday's afternoon rush hour. Police say Bringham, the driver of a 2007 Ford F550 dump truck, tried to merge into the southbound lanes of I-95 near Route 123, shortly after 4 p.m.
Police say the drivers then "began engaging with one another in an aggressive manner."
Both vehicles ended up on the left shoulder of the highway, pinned against the Jersey wall. That's when Poventud got out of his car and started firing at the truck. The dump truck pulled away into traffic, but was struck more than four times by the 13 rounds, police say.
Police say Poventud had his 2-year-old daughter in the car during the incident. No one was hurt by the gunfire.
Poventud did not have a prior history of mental illness or a criminal background that would have prohibited him from having a gun.
The information that the gun was owned legally has supporters on both sides of the debate weighing in.
"It shows that even people that legally have guns do stupid things and make mistakes, and that's one of the risks that goes with having more guns in more places," Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, tells WTOP.
"Too many people who have guns get angry, get drunk, do something stupid and when that happens, all of us are endangered. It's why we need to treat guns very seriously and make sure that it is not too easy for dangerous people to get guns," Helmke says.
Phillip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, suggests the dump truck driver should have been armed himself.
"Why should he have been murdered helplessly? He should have been able to protect himself. I don't care who it is -- if it was an off-duty police officer that cracked and started doing that. You still need to be able to save your life, if you are the innocent life," Van Cleave says.
"Your life is precious. Things happen in this world. Crime can happen at any time. Owning something legally doesn't mean you can't misuse it. Basically our view is that you should be able to protect yourself and should be prepared to do so at any time."

I'm wondering if the shooter had a CHP or was he OCing.

wylde007

imported post

They were both being idiots.

Consider this, then:

It shows that even people that [sic] legally have dumptrucks do stupid things and make mistakes, and that's one of the risks that goes with having more dumptrucks in more places," Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, tells WTOP.

"Too many people who have dumptrucks get angry, get drunk, do something stupid and when that happens, all of us are endangered. It's why we need to treat dumptrucks very seriously and make sure that it is not too easy for dangerous people to drive dumptrucks," Helmke says.
You can almost cut the rhetoric with a knife.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
They were both being idiots.

Consider this, then:

It shows that even people that [sic] legally have dumptrucks do stupid things and make mistakes, and that's one of the risks that goes with having more dumptrucks in more places," Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, tells WTOP.

"Too many people who have dumptrucks get angry, get drunk, do something stupid and when that happens, all of us are endangered. It's why we need to treat dumptrucks very seriously and make sure that it is not too easy for dangerous people to drive dumptrucks," Helmke says.
You can almost cut the rhetoric with a knife.
Yep! Guns aren't the danger annymore. The high tech things like dump trucks and assault boosums that you gotta watch out for.

NovaCop

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
http://wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1920841

Gun involved in 'road rage duel' legally owned March 26, 2010 - 12:57pm
Gabriel Poventud (Photo courtesy of Virginia State Police) DALE CITY, Va. - The gun that police say was used to fire 13 shots during a road rage duel on Interstate 95 was legally owned, WTOP has learned. Gabriel Poventud, 25, and James Bringham, 44, have been charged with attempted murder in the altercation that began at the height of Tuesday's afternoon rush hour. Police say Bringham, the driver of a 2007 Ford F550 dump truck, tried to merge into the southbound lanes of I-95 near Route 123, shortly after 4 p.m.
DALE CITY, Va. - The gun that police say was used to fire 13 shots during a road rage duel on Interstate 95 was legally owned, WTOP has learned. Gabriel Poventud, 25, and James Bringham, 44, have been charged with attempted murder in the altercation that began at the height of Tuesday's afternoon rush hour. Police say Bringham, the driver of a 2007 Ford F550 dump truck, tried to merge into the southbound lanes of I-95 near Route 123, shortly after 4 p.m.

I'm wondering if the shooter had a CHP or was he OCing.
The VCDL president really wants to take the stance that he wishes the dump truck driver was armed too? Really? Encouraging another idiot to arm himself with no training or qualifications combined with the fact that he was just involved in a near fatal game of road rage in which he was charged with manslaughter. Even if the man was armed, neither driver was in the position to be legally justified in shooting at each other. If the VCDL wants support for their organization, their president should not make such ignorant comments to the press. Luckily no innocent person was hit with a bullet. For the most part, ANYONE can legally own a gun and carry it in VA. There are people out there that should not be carrying and incidents like this will result. That's why there are people who oppose such liberal gun laws, with good reason.

simmonsjoe

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
eyesopened wrote:
While heading south on I-95, the dump truck struck the Jaguar two times, she said.

Good for him. It should be legal to put a-hole aggressive drivers into the wall. I can't even count the number of times I have wanted to do that.
wtf? a dump truck intentionally struck a vehicle with a child in it twice and you say good? Eat shit. dump truck intentionally striking vehicles = reasonable fear of life/limb.

Doesn't sound like the Jag driving was innocent in starting the event though, so he's gonna get charged. He could have retreated earlier by pulling off the road or something.

johnfenter

imported post

Just a side comment.

The news story says that the dump truck was on the express lane and was merging into the main lanes; does this mean the truck was in the HOV lanes? If so, he wasn't supposed to be there; HOV excludes heavy commercial vehicles.

If the truck driver was merging, he didn't have right of way; the other guy didn't have to let him merge ahead. It would have been the polite thing to do, but not required. I've seen the traffic on 95 where the HOV ends; it's gridlock, so neither of them were going anywhere fast anyway.

And I'm pretty sure Philip made those comments before the full story was published on what the truck driver did and was charged with. A truck is as much of a deadly weapon as a gun. F=ma, and all that... Basically, both guys were in the wrong, and deserve what they are getting. The one who didn't deserve any of what was experienced here was that child.

Marco

imported post

NovaCop10 wrote: snip
There are people out there that should not be carrying and incidents like this will result.

Oh,you mean like this idiot that's still patrolling FFX county:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/25/AR2006012502245.html

Training didn't help him or his victim.
Or
Lee Paigewho endangered a room full of school kids.

If we should have to suffer (lose our rights)because someone does something stupid with a gun than LE should suffer (lose their firearms) every time an officer does something stupid with a firearm.

I think the English call them Bobby's.
We could call them booby's here in the U.S., not to be confused with .... well you now what I mean.

bohdi

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
NovaCop10 wrote: snip
There are people out there that should not be carrying and incidents like this will result.

Oh,you mean like this idiot that's still patrolling FFX county:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/25/AR2006012502245.html

Training didn't help him or his victim.
Or
Lee Paigewho endangered a room full of school kids.

If we should have to suffer (lose our rights)because someone does something stupid with a gun than LE should suffer (lose their firearms) every time an officer does something stupid with a firearm.

I think the English call them Bobby's.
We could call them booby's here in the U.S., not to be confused with .... well you now what I mean.
"Lt. Richard Perez, a police spokesman, said he could not say how or why the gun discharged. " <---- if we are into firing LEO's at this point, put this knuckle head and everyone under him in that group. That has to be the stupidest comment of the year......