• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Should we call the police on ourself?

ryanburbridge

This post got me thinking.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?80195-Contact-With-Salinas-Police-Department

Quote from above post...

The calltaker verified my position and then asked for my name and any associated vehicles. I gave him the info, and I added..."The incoming Officer should know that I am armed."

"Okay, sir, I'll let them know. Who are you with?"

I have had two police encounters to this date. After reading the above post I am thinking of calling local PD when I UOC next time. I am not for asking permision for somthing that is leagle but would calling in advance change the outcome? Each call is recorded and if I call a non emergency line every time with my name and or description will this reduce the chances of a bad LEO contact. After months of calling will someone higher up on the food chain take notice? Now what if all of us start calling will this be noticed? When I call can I say I UOC because this state will not allow me to protect myself any other way.

What do you guys think? Try somthing new? Please post your opinion PRO or CON.

Thanks

Last edited:

Gundude

Thats already been done in San Diego county. There is a sticky thread about it. I did one myself and the dispatcher wasn't that hot for sending an LEO out about it. Our LEO's have a pretty good handle MWAG calls.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
No.

Open carry is a non-event. When there is an appropriate time, place and circumstances to make open carry an event*, then and only then would it be necessary to report an armed individual.

* This would be when and if we had an appropriate plantiff pledged to 'fall on their sword' to advance specific and strategic goals.

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
My STRONG opinion on this is NO. We want OC to be normal. Don't make it into anything other than that.

With the recent defeat of AB1934 there can't possibly be a cop left in this state that hasn't heard of OC now. And they also all now know that it is legal. In this respect AB1934 helped us immensely.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
My STRONG opinion on this is NO. We want OC to be normal. Don't make it into anything other than that.

With the recent defeat of AB1934 there can't possibly be a cop left in this state that hasn't heard of OC now. And they also all now know that it is legal. In this respect AB1934 helped us immensely.

Agreed.
I think we should expect two responses to the failure of AB1934. 1) the advent of some new similar legilation to be introduced in the next legislative session and 2) while open carry is a legal activity and there are those who practice it, there will be more legal and training breifs issued by various entities.

We are coming to a new phase- where law enforcement is knowledgable about OC and addresses training and policymaking with lawful carriers in mind. This by itself is a huge leap from where we were in 2006- where everyone expected to be felony stopped during every police encounter.

Tekniqe

I find it ironic that ryanburbridge, of all people, started this particular thread.

On topic though, no, I don't believe you should call the police on yourself.

cato

UOC away (smartly)!

I think some outreach to your local PD can't hurt. They may not be agreeable (some may) but being a point person saying "hey, I'm in this community, I do this, I would like good/great relationships with the local officers/dispatchers... I would like to drop off some brochures explaining why I do this...etc", could be a positive. If anything it becomes an 'opener' for dialogue.

I don't think it is necessary to call in a courtesy call to dispatch but I'm not opposed to it either especially in jurisdictions that don't have an active OC group who has interacted with them in the past. It kinda of eases them into it and helps further the good ambassador image at least until the courts protect carry and this 'e' BS is stopped.

The issue with UOC in CA is that OC in general has been a 'shocker' issue for police who have generally never dealt with LACs OCing since 99.99% of all gun calls we go to involve a criminal use (especially since training Memos and their intricate explanations get forgotten when not re-enforced by field experience and new cops get hired etc...). It's been a fear of the unknown IMO for most officers and this issue. Take some of that unknown away and educate them on the political issues of RKBA if given the chance. Many cops ARE 2A supporters - perhaps not 100%ers like us but nonetheless many have the basic concept down.

We have to take the bull by the horns in a very very positive manner post 1934. I believe a similar bill we be back next year. I don't think the very dedicated committed RCOC types here are going to stop UOC so lets see how much good this community can do with being 2A ambassadors trying to win the hearts and minds of the undecided fence sitters as well as those of our 2nd A. allies who are also 'scared' of OC and the potential consequences.

Until we get the case law to stop 'e' checks try to make them non-events by engaging LEO in friendly conversation and explaining without waiving any rights (will comply but do not consent) and ALWAYS carry your recorder and have friendly witnesses.

Carry On!!!!! :banana::banana::banana:

Let us salute our opponents for they are worthy adversaries and push forward with dignity to better secure our Rights and the public's image of those of us who defend those rights (ie: lets be sure we don't gloat;)).

Where is that banana guy...:banana::banana::banana::banana: and :monkey:monkey

Last edited:

cato

If the OP's question was about calling in a MWG to see what happens I'm opposed to it in most circumstances. If it was a friendly call saying "I'm out for a walk/shopping spree etc..." I'll defer to the OCer as you know your community/PD best (as well as your own style).

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
If the OP's question was about calling in a MWG to see what happens I'm opposed to it in most circumstances. If it was a friendly call saying "I'm out for a walk/shopping spree etc..." I'll defer to the OCer as you know your community/PD best (as well as your own style).

I concur. I interpreted the OP to mean call in a MWG to 911. Very bad IMO. But the courtesy call you describe seems quite reasonable.

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
Absolutely not .....

So most of us UOC in the first place is to make UOC a "normal" sequence of events, almost like getting dressed in the morning before you go about your day. The "unarmed victims" of this fine country are slooowly getting used to us UOC. So totally disagree with contacting PD to warn them of your intentions to UOC. If you are not comfortable with the PD encounters then don't UOC it's the "nature of the beast" unfortunately. Funnily enough I had no MWAG calls yesterday while I was shopping and gassing my car ...it's just a normal legal thing that we do and BZ to all who do UOC and stand up for our right to do so !

Iopencarry

Personally, I have only called the local LEO's dispatch line twice. Both times because we had a group of 30+ coming into the town, and we had made prior contact with the dept. It was a reminder and heads up.
A little common sense and politeness goes a long way in the LEO's response.

I do not and will not call on a daily basis. If and when I get the gut feeling that a MWG call to 911 has gone out, I might call to let them know my status. But most people will never know when THAT call goes out.

I have found that instead of "head butting" the LE, if we try and just be professional, then most LEO's will return in kind.

And your right, I do not go into L.A. or Oakland, the cops there can be a little different then 99.9 % of the cops in my area.

ryanburbridge

My mistake. I did NOT mean for us to call in a MWAG and try to get a reaction.

After reading another thread ware a OCer called the police for a different reason while on the phone he ALSO informed the police that he had a gun. Then the storie says the police came were polite and no e-check.

At this point police may only here about UOC in ca by the news,(not on our side) their buddies, and or a run in with one of us.

My two encounters were NOT positive. And after emotion and time to reflect I may have been able to change the outcome from a negative for all of us to somthing more educational.

My OP was about calling and giving a FREANDLY heads up with aprox. location and a brief description. If done on a regular basis this may decreas the MWAG calls from others and add a more positive image of OCers.

I have NOT done this yet. I was just looking for feedback. Thanks for all the responses.

OPS MARINE

Let me nip this...

Let me clear this up. The reason I told the police I was armed was because I was out with a stranded vehicle at night. I let them know because I was asked to stand by, and I thought it would be appropriate to fill the Officer in upon his arrival. If I just walked up to him with a gun (because I don't know ALL the Police here), that post could have either been written differently, or someone else may be writing it...if you know what I mean. Another reason I told them was because if there were going to be a problem with an armed person, I would have been told that by the calltaker and the police response to the location would have been drastically different.

Personally, I think it speaks to my character that I was willing to inform them of the status, beyond common sense. I have nothing to hide. I have fought and bled for this country, and my rights (just like everyone else's) are inalienable. I will carry this gun until I die, and where she is not welcome, neither am I. That's the way it is. Not because I am a zealot or have a point to prove, but because it is my right.

Having said that, I hope that if anyone else finds themselves in this position ( I try to help others when it's safe to do so), they feel encouraged to let incoming units (if you're staying) know you are armed. It goes a long way to community outreach and LE outreach as well. Don't believe it? Check the Las Vegas thread for my photos with the Police.

pullnshoot25

I wish that were true. Unfortunately, learning is slow for some LEOs.

Calling in on selves and notifying cops should be kept to a minimum. My bro and I did it a few times to prove a point and check on the education rate so I can't be hypocritical and say ''no'' or anything, just keep it to minimum.

cato

Unfortunately, learning is slow for LEOs.

I'm sure you make exception for those who learn at medium and fast speeds? Have we gained anything by that comment???

It's the same to say Government learns slowly and is more accurate.
LEO will actually learn very quickly in CA when it's in their & their dept.'s interests.

Why don't you insert Saldana every time you wish to speak derogatorily about any one or any group. That way you get your frustrations out in public without turning away fence sitters. We'll know what you mean.

We really must be in the honey business rather then bitters. Let the coalition's attorneys do the b**** slapping in their ever so creative manner.

Last edited:

pullnshoot25

I'm sure you make exception for those who learn at medium and fast speeds? Have we gained anything by that comment???

It's the same to say Government learns slowly and is more accurate.
LEO will actually learn very quickly in CA when it's in their & their dept.'s interests.

Why don't you insert Saldana every time you wish to speak derogatorily about any one or any group. That way you get your frustrations out in public without turning away fence sitters. We'll know what you mean.

We really must be in the honey business rather then bitters. Let the coalition's attorneys do the b**** slapping in their ever so creative manner.

Fair enough.