• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sign At Sprinker

Jered

imported post

Here's a picture I snapped of the sign.

Sprinker is a recreation area run by Pierce County Parks & Recreation, so preemption applies.

I didn't want to make a scene since I was there with a church group, but I did take a picture.

bugly

imported post

gotta love how the "No loitering" is on the sign right next to the firearm warning. So, even if preemption applies, they just roust you out for loitering.
Damn hippies anyway...

Jered

imported post

I'll call Pierce County Parks and Recreation during normal business hours on Monday or Tuesday. I'm still recovering from the hockey game and the large dose of ibuprofen afterwards.

I'm also going to make sure that I have my ducks in a row and dig of the AG opinion about the regs that they're trying to pass in Seattle.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Just remember if the county has turned over the operation of the rec center to a third party then, yes they can ban weapons - Think about the stadiums in Seattle, same issue.

amlevin

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Just remember if the county has turned over the operation of the rec center to a third party then, yes they can ban weapons - Think about the stadiums in Seattle, same issue.

Sorry, the Stadiums are leased to the third parties. It then becomes their property (subject to the terms of the lease) to manage.

In the case of someone just operating under a management contract, the "property" is still that of the county and not subject to the same rules as for leased property.

sempercarry

imported post

good thinking....I look forward to reading your message and their response.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

bugly wrote:
gotta love how the "No loitering" is on the sign right next to the firearm warning. So, even if preemption applies, they just roust you out for loitering.
Damn hippies anyway...
Unless you have criminal intent, loitering laws can't really be enforced either. I am not sure what Washington state veiws on this are but the supreme court ruled against loitering laws of Chicago in 1999. So standing around openly carrying isn't illegal.

KBCraig

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
I don't know Washington statutes or case law, but it's a general legal principle that the lessor can't transfer rights they don't have. If a government doesn't have the authority to ban firearms, neither do their lessees.

Jered

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
bugly wrote:
Damn hippies anyway...
Unless you have criminal intent, loitering laws can't really be enforced either. I am not sure what Washington state veiws on this are but the supreme court ruled against loitering laws of Chicago in 1999. So standing around openly carrying isn't illegal.
If the USSC said that, then it applies to Washington State.

amlevin

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Situation seems to be resolved in our favor:

Hi John:

John you are correct the sign is wrong so I have asked the Sprinker Manager to have someone either remove or cover over the language so that we will be in compliance with the RCW. About a year and half ago we changed or covered over all the other rules signs in our Parks System but we must have missed these at Sprinker Rec. Center. Anyway Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Kent Baskett

Superintendent of Parks & Operations
Too bad this individual is only Super of Parks and Ops. He seems like he has his stuff together and should be much higher in County Government.

Machoduck

imported post

Congratulations to both John and Kent. A great example of a problem identified to someone who can fix it and that person recognizing the need for repair. When I inspected concrete placement and rebar in heavy construction I learned that one measure of a man was what he did after he found our he made a mistake.

For another example of a situation needing repair, and where all involved did a good job, I refer you to the thread about open carry at the Boise Library:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum20/10401.html

MD