• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Silencer for your carry gun

SavageOne

but if your dealing with end of the world zombies, you'll want to keep your hearing so you can hear them a sneaking up! plus a loud shot would attract more.

Here's my choice for the zombie hoardes(sorry my post-fu isn't strong enough to post the picture).

http://olegvolk.net/gallery/d/36280-2/PMR30_X5L_gemtech_8031.jpg

It's the PMR-30 from Kel-Tec. .22 WMR with a 30 round internal grip magazine. Even with the always advisable "double tap" to the head, it will drop them in droves. It will hopefully be releasing this month, but demand is expected to be high. Should sell for around 350 to 400.

groovedrummer

Would you all PLEASE start using the CORRECT nomenclature for this discussion (and all others)???

There is NO SUCH thing as a "Silencer". There are only SUPRESSED firearms, not silenced. Some military forces use supressors with a great deal of success. It really isn't a practical idea to use one in sudden, unplanned personal protection, for many reasons already mentioned. If you are involved in a self-defense shooting, your own hearing loss is only temporary. The loudest thing you will hear besides the discharge of your firearm (or others) is going to be your own pulse in your ears. Your own nervous system has a tendancy to "shut down" your hearing input at the moment your weapon discharges.
Talk to a medical professional for an explanation... I don't know why, it just does. Your hearing comes back in about an hour or so, depending on the proximity to the discharge and the acoustics of the area.

Good luck in court when the defense starts wondering why you have a supressor. Appearances are EVERYTHING! Your entire life (including your posts on OCDO and the rest of the Internet) will come under the microscope. Welcome to the Information Age.

that is a good point! not only with his history of seeking out run ins with police while sporting some excessive weapon, but you throw in all of his posts on the internet... in a court room hes gonna come out looking a person begging for confrontation.

MSC 45ACP

Wow...

Before I replied to this thread, I didn't know anything about Kwik (or remember, anyway). I think I read about his OC adventures in the park with the orange-tipped AK pistol when it was "current news". Within the law? Certainly? Smart thing to do? I don't think so.

We live in a free country (for the most part). Kwik seems to enjoy exercising his First and Second Amendment Rights. He also seems to take great joy in "pulling the tiger's tail". Take caution in that endeavour... Sometimes the tiger bites back.

With your history and experiences in Tennessee, you may want to consider packing up your stuff and moving to another state that allows OC.

Did you get your permit back yet?

With your track record, the LAST thing I would want is to make myself any more "visible on the grid". I woudn't own any weapons that had to be registered with the ATF. I certainly wouldn't have a supressor or fully automatic weapon. You don't need them and they bring too much attention to yourself. Did I already mention the need to be "invisible" to LEO's and become a "model citizen"? Why not take this opportunity to "turn over a new leaf" and start over? If the local LEA's had a file on me like they do you, I wouldn't be at all interested in adding to it.

I would much rather it gathered dust in the file room from inactivity than think about the cover sheet attached to it gathering postage information and 3-letter acronyms from inside the Beltway.

Apropos of nothing else, but have you ever heard of a fellow on here with the s/n of "Anty"?

tcmech

I had someone try and break into my apartment several years ago. I grabbed the 9mm racked a round into the chamber and went to meet and greet at the door. The guy trying to break in apparently heard me and took off.

My wife asked me why I didn't grab the phone, and my response was that the neighbors would call the cops for me when the gun went off enough times.

I would rather not have a silencer on a personal protection weapon so that on the off chance a responsible citizen heard the gunfire they would call for help.

CrossFire

I have to wonder, how many SD encounters do you foresee having and how many times do you think you will have to pull the trigger? In my lifetime I do not foresee shooting enough times in an SD situation that my hearing will be adversely or permanately affected.

buster81

I have to wonder, how many SD encounters do you foresee having and how many times do you think you will have to pull the trigger? In my lifetime I do not foresee shooting enough times in an SD situation that my hearing will be adversely or permanately affected.

Yeah, but how many controversial confrontations can you generate?

slowfiveoh

Appearances are EVERYTHING! Your entire life (including your posts on OCDO and the rest of the Internet) will come under the microscope. Welcome to the Information Age.

Overdramatic response alert.

Problematic representation of unfortunate society detected.

Appearance is nothing. NOTHING.

I can't believe how many moronic jackholes with a social complex who think that randomized perception makes the world go round actually exist in this day and age.

There was a time court cases, and even law enforcement, were based off of factual, logical basis.

Then comes people like you.

Hey guys...!!!

How many juries have ever convicted on hear-say/gut-feelings etc. ?

More than should have.

Trend is the terrible ill-behaved redheaded stepchild of reality. Well, more like a distant cousin. Hollywood drives trend. People suck off Hollywoods teat.

Hence "Guns are bad!"
Hence "Cool guys don't look at explosions!"
Hence "Silencers are bad mmmkkkay!"

Feed this absolutely moronic, mental midget derived idiocy at your own leisure.

The rest of us will step away from such stupidity.

APPEARANCES ARE EVERYTHING DDAAWWGGG :uhoh:

DCKilla

Do what Marky Mark did in Shooter. Attach an empty water bottle then throw it away when you're done. You'll be sited for littering, nothing more.

Oh, and for crying out loud, OBEY THE LAW.

RussP

Amen...

kwikrnu

Banned
Do what Marky Mark did in Shooter. Attach an empty water bottle then throw it away when you're done. You'll be sited for littering, nothing more.

Oh, and for crying out loud, OBEY THE LAW.

Your post makes no sense. On one hand you advocate violating federal law by using a suppressor which is not registered or taxed, then you say to obey the law. Which is it?

DCKilla

Your post makes no sense. On one hand you advocate violating federal law by using a suppressor which is not registered or taxed, then you say to obey the law. Which is it?
I'm not the one who started this stupid thread about OCing with silencer/suppressor attached.
What would be the charge? Shooting a water bottle with intent to destroy. It's not like I painted it purple with a Hello Kitty design.

Last edited:

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
I do agree that it would be nice if guns were quieter. A suppressor on your carry gun would be rather impractical. It makes the gun far too long to draw from a standard holster with any degree of speed. I'd rather be alive with some hearing loss than dead with perfect hearing.

That said I'm currently waiting on an approval for a 5.56 can for my MSAR :)

kwikrnu

Banned
I'm not the one who started this stupid thread about OCing with silencer/suppressor attached.
What would be the charge? Shooting a water bottle with intent to destroy. It's not like I painted it purple with a Hello Kitty design.

Any device made or used to suppress the sound of a firearm is illegal unless you're a licensed title II weapons manufacturer or in possession of a tax stamp for that title II weapon. It doesn't matter if it is a rubber, or a coke bottle or anything.