• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Silly liberals

Lovenox

And what if that witness is lying? Do you really think the cops should be able to issue citations based on the mere unsubstantiated testimony of a single witness, to be sorted out by the courts later?

Sure there is always that possibility. But this isn't a case of what ifs but a trained investiagtor being able to spot the liar and the victim based upon other tangible and not so tangible evidence. Ie Body language, physical evidence, other witness testimony, etc
And it happens all the time, especially for domestic violence cases where someone is going away. Just a matter of who in the field offers the LEO a better case.

This is NOT an attack on LEOs! It is a simple statement of fact. If, by chance, they actually DO get there in time to protect, hey that's great good for them. And because that is a chance, they should be trained in what to do in that situation. But it should not be expected, by us, the public.

I think the confusion is that I am coming across as if they have to be there and be there like yesterday or act as a defacto body guard. Not my argument at all. All I am saying is that if they arrive in the commission of a crime against a person thier upholding the law defaults to protecting the individual. The two are inseperable. I wholly believe without reservation that the protection of the individual IS the individuals responsibility and laws of the land should NOT interfere. But when discharging his official duties he fails to uphold the law and the individual suffers then they are liable.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

I'm actually 100% with Sara Mae on this one :eek: (is it ok to call you that now?). The primary purpose of the police is to investigate crimes after the fact, determine the suspect or suspects through good detective work, then track them down, arrest them, and turn them over to the courts to be tried. Just like the LAW ITS SELF, the police cannot protect, they can only punish.

I never had an issue with people calling me by my name, Sara Mae. I was just pointing out that some people might have an issue being referred to by their name on here :p

I knew we could agree on something. Hell has frozen over:monkey

I think we have had a major breakthrough here!

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

Love:

I think the point is that just because there is an LEO who shows up does not automatically mean they have the fire in them to effectively defend you. That is why it is imperative that you train, and be ready to respond accordingly.

There are a lot of officers out there that are great, heck, most of them are great and have good intentions. The problem is, I can not, for the life of me, depend on that officer that might or might not arrive. Even if they are there, I can not assume that they are out to save my butt...they might shoot the perp because they are in danger, not because I am.

This boils down to taking your life into your own hands. If the LEO shows up before SHTF and shoots the perp before I do, that's great, they get paid leave, and I do not run the risk of being drug through the court system...it is cheaper if the LEO shows up and does your job for you. What are the odds of that happening though?

Metalhead47

I never had an issue with people calling me by my name, Sara Mae. I was just pointing out that some people might have an issue being referred to by their name on here :p

I knew we could agree on something. Hell has frozen over:monkey

I think we have had a major breakthrough here!

Hey how bout that? A warm fuzzy moment in the midst of all the bitterness around here lately. :banana:

Lovenox

This boils down to taking your life into your own hands. If the LEO shows up before SHTF and shoots the perp before I do, that's great, they get paid leave, and I do not run the risk of being drug through the court system...it is cheaper if the LEO shows up and does your job for you. What are the odds of that happening though?

Agreed.