• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Snohomish county oc report

DCKilla

Yesterday, the family and I went to the Sedro-Woolley 4th of July carnival. I had zero issues with anyone there. One lady asked if that was a Glock 22. I said, "Yes it is." This was the first time OCing around the in-laws, which went well.

Note: I couldn't find the Skagit thread, oh well. Snoho is good enough.;)

Last edited:

DCKilla

Today, we went to Cabelas to look around. At about half way through the store an employee pulls me aside. He tells me that my pistol must be checked in. WHAT, in cabelas, oh give me a break. He said, "I can't believe that you made it passed the greeters." I told him "I'm not checking any holsters or making a trade." I also said that my gun was loaded. In frustration, I asked for the manager. The manager gave the guy a run down of OC and it being legal in WA. The manager apologized for the misunderstanding.

I also stopped by Taco Bell and Game Stop.

Last edited:

SigGuy23

Activist Member
I also went to Cabelas today to look at gun safes and bi pods for my rifle. I helped the clerk at the gun counter explain info about 1911's to another costumer. The clerk said nothing about my OC.

I then went to Walmart to look at their bi pods and pistol lock boxes.

After Walmart I went to Mcdonalds.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Hello Snohomish

Whatcom County is having a BBQ, in case you had not heard yet (see sticky). Bloedel Donovan Park, Bastille Day, 14 July 2012, 10:00 and on. Bring the kids, have a good time and commune with like minds.Yes, it is a drive, but it will grow on you.

amlevin

I also went to Cabelas today to look at gun safes and bi pods for my rifle. I helped the clerk at the gun counter explain info about 1911's to another costumer. The clerk said nothing about my OC.

I then went to Walmart to look at their bi pods and pistol lock boxes.

After Walmart I went to Mcdonalds.

When I was in Cabela's the clerk said "wish they'd allow us to carry just like the customers." Whatever you do, don't go shopping at Cabela's while wearing a Khaki shirt. That is unless you don't mind being stopped by everyone and their brother with a question. I made that mistake and what was meant to be a quick trip for a small reloading tool ended up taking an hour. Asked the checkout girl where I could turn in a time card for doing their floor staff's work. She laughed and said it's the shirt that got you mistaken for an employee. I told her that the gun on my hip should be a dead giveaway that I wasn't. She laughed again.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
" I love Guns and Coffee" T-shirt

With the advent of the good weather the last few weeks, I have been OC'ing a lot. The Thriftway in West Seattle, where I quite often run into SPD officers, the Wash. State Ferry to Vashon and back, and all my usual places in So. Snohomish County. All without incident as usual.

Today I wore "the shirt"...........

Those shirts are real conversation starters LOL! I of course had to go to Starbucks to cool off with an icy drink. The young lady behind the counter goes " i LOVE your shirt! " I laughed and said I just need the coffee to complete the Ensemble. She looked down at my gun and said "what can I get you?" with a big smile.
When it came time to pay I only had my card, so said is there a way to tip you with the card, she said "No, but you are the nicest guy to come in here today, and with that shirt and all the rest, you have made my day".

I then headed up to my eye doctors office to pay a bill and get some paperwork for the FAA and the two young gals behind the counter ( who know me well by this point ) said " We LOVE your shirt"...........I said "yep, got my coffee, got my gun, got my t-shirt and I'm a happy guy". One of the women said "Wow! You are the first person I've seen open carrying!" The other one said " oh my, that's scary! Is that legal??"

There upon started a great conversation with myself and the one lady explaining to the other all the legalities, and telling her how much fun shooting is. The one lady said she has been shooting since age 10, and her and I were convincing the other to go shooting with one of us, take a class, and she would probably end up loving it. I told her about this site, and the "Cornered Cat" site for women.

Probably the most interaction I've had since I started OC'ing. I think I need to wear my shirts more:)

StevenOly

Well I'm new to the forum, and to open carrying so I thought my first real experience going out while OC'ing I would report my experience.

3:30pm Everett Powersports

Wife and I decided to jump on the Aprilia and weather the heat and ride down to EPS to pickup a dark shield for her. Had my new Serpa on my hip which got a few looks on the freeway, but I was only coming from DT Everett. Went into EPS and I'm not sure any of the employees even noticed. My wife said that a few of the other people in the store did a few double takes and a kid pointed, but no one approached me. While waiting for the sales girl to grab a shield for my wife's helmet another employees came over and offered us some fresh watermelon. Basically nothing to really report. Good experience overall.

I'm sure I may eventually get hassled, but I've tried to read extensively thru this site and tried to make myself as educated as possible to be able to handle the inevitable gun haters.

amlevin

I'm sure I may eventually get hassled, but I've tried to read extensively thru this site and tried to make myself as educated as possible to be able to handle the inevitable gun haters.

There will always be those that will hassle people for just about anything. Wear the wrong clothing? Get hassled by someone. Hat on backwards? Ditto. Just trying to enter a grocery store today and you can get hassled by everyone from the local panhandler, drug dealer, skate boarder, or someone who "rattles when they walk".

The trick is to just not let it get to you and go about your business. If you're not breaking any law, don't get paranoid. Just enjoy yourself.

Metalhead47

Well I'm new to the forum, and to open carrying so I thought my first real experience going out while OC'ing I would report my experience.

3:30pm Everett Powersports

Wife and I decided to jump on the Aprilia and weather the heat and ride down to EPS to pickup a dark shield for her. Had my new Serpa on my hip which got a few looks on the freeway, but I was only coming from DT Everett. Went into EPS and I'm not sure any of the employees even noticed. My wife said that a few of the other people in the store did a few double takes and a kid pointed, but no one approached me. While waiting for the sales girl to grab a shield for my wife's helmet another employees came over and offered us some fresh watermelon. Basically nothing to really report. Good experience overall.

Don't think I've OC'd at EPS before but I have been in there for little things quite a bit and like the staff, very easy going and sure don't seem like the harasser type. Myself, I've OC'd down a Lynnwood Motoplex plenty of times without a comment. Also OC'd the whole time I was doing the paperwork on my new Vision up a Skagit Powersports, not a word there either.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
Yesterday FMJ911 and I went to Five Guys. Nothing out of the ordinary.

After Five Guys we went to the bank and then to look at a Jeep a guy was selling. The guy selling the Jeep asked my if it my gun was real. I said yes, yes it is. He told us he wishes he could carry too, but had a felony from 30 years ago. He said he was trying to restore his rights.

After that we came back to my house for a while, but it was to damn hot, so we decided to go for a drive up in the mountains. It was a very pretty drive.

We then went to Seattle where I bought a RIA M1911A1. I love it. I'm going to shoot it later today.

After my new gun purchase we went to taco time on highway99 in Seattle. No comments or weird stares. The food wasn't half bad.

Once we got back to the smokey point area, we went to Walmart on 172nd to get some .45 auto for my 1911. Got 250 rounds for 38 cents a round. Not to shabby. The guy at the ammo counter asked me what I was carrying. He told me that he has a Glock 17. We talked about guns for a little bit.

So yeah that was our OC day. Nothing negative and some pretty positive casual encounters too. :)

StevenOly

Went to I-Hop downtown yesterday morning (Sunday). There was a line out the door, but the wife and I decided we didn't really want to cook. Place was jammed with families and I got a lot of double takes and a table of younger teenage girls wouldn't stop staring and were just short of standing up and pointing, but the staff, nor anyone actually came up and talked to me so all was well. Went to a movie after that so I had to conceal and there were no issues with that. Just wanted to keep this thread up to date. :banana:

jbone

Well I'll be damned, another one of the defective guns! What movie?

FMJ 911

This report is from Yesterday: Sunday August 12th, 2012.

Handgun: Kimber Custom II .45 ACP

I drove into Snohomish to pick up some medications for my Mother, but the pharmacy was closed by the time I got there (About 5:00 PM), So I headed to McDaniel's Do-It Center to source Savage Mark II Mags, but they had none to speak of. So I said "I'm going for a drive!", so I hopped on US Highway 2, and headed east. I went though Monore, Sultan, Startup, Gold Bar, past Index, and into Skykomish. I actually went past Skykomish and came in from "Old Cascade Highway", which was pretty neat. After that I went as far as I could until reaching the bridge which was closed. I walked around for a few minutes looking at the scenery which was awesome. No one was around though. Then I noticed it was getting late, so I got back on Highway 2 heading west and stopped in at Index. Pretty nice little town, but too small for me. Then I continued North along Index-Galena Road, until I came to where it was closed too (Milepost 6.4). Now that was just too cool. The road was washed out and large chunks of pavement were sticking up out of the North Fork Skykomish, it looked like something out of one of those Post-Apocalyptic movies! Again, no one was around. Then I got on Highway 2 to head home and the traffic was BAD. Then I turned onto Reiter Road, and went though there and at the 90 Degree left turn, I noticed someone had a run-in with a telephone pole. Looks like the pole won, but I continued onward, since the Sheriff was already there. Then the traffic thinned out, so I headed home and that was about it.

I never ran into anybody that day, so no comments or anything of that nature.

Freedom1Man

OC'd by way of the transit system from Federal Way to Everett and back. ZERO problems it was good even walked by a few cops and enjoyed some shade up near the court house.

Had to explain to a public pretender that there is no law requiring me to stop an identify for an officer even if I am openly carrying no matter how many 911 call there are. I will have to do an FOIA request for those 911 calls they are kinda funny to listen to. She told me that if you had only told the cops your name like they asked you would not be here (in this office) today. I said great show me the stop and ID laws. They were not investigating any sort of crime there was nothing as evidence that even suggested there had been a crime committed or that one was about to take place and there was not one happening.

911 calls
There is a man walking down the road with a BIG BLACK GUN stuck on his leg.

There is a man with a gun in his holder thing on his leg walking down the road.

There is a man with what looks like a 9mm in a leg holster walking down the road.

amlevin

Bought gas yesterday. Got the "hairy eyeball" from another gas customer. The look that said WTF are you carrying a gun. Ignored him, petted my dog while the tank was filling and talked to the wife through the open window of the truck. He shook his head and drove off. Not a single word exchanged.

amlevin

She told me that if you had only told the cops your name like they asked you would not be here (in this office) today. I said great show me the stop and ID laws. They were not investigating any sort of crime there was nothing as evidence that even suggested there had been a crime committed or that one was about to take place and there was not one happening.

Was it worth the trip, and all the subsequent trips that may yet come?

Sounds like the Police were merely responding to a series of 911 calls, ridiculous as you may think they were. Apparently there was an arrest? citation? Why else would you be there unless you just like to visit Courthouses?

Freedom1Man

Was it worth the trip, and all the subsequent trips that may yet come?

Sounds like the Police were merely responding to a series of 911 calls, ridiculous as you may think they were. Apparently there was an arrest? citation? Why else would you be there unless you just like to visit Courthouses?

I was cuffed and stuffed at the encounter.

The charge is "Obstruction of an Officer. "

I was arrested for not identifying myself.

Vitaeus

https://fortress.wa.gov/cjtc/www/images/LE_Legal_Update_72511 final.pdf .gov source that refutes the obstruction charge

2. May a Terry stop detainee be arrested for violating Washington’s “obstructing” statute for merely refusing to identify himself or herself?
No.

Compare State v. White, 97 Wn.2d 92 (1982) April ’82 LED:02; Carey v. Nevada Gaming Control Board, 279 F.3d 873 (9th Cir. 2002) Jan. ’03 LED:02 with Hiibel v. Sixth Jud. Dt. Of Nevada, 124 S.Ct. 2451 (2004) Aug. ’04 LED:02 (Arrest under a Nevada “stop and identify” statute that is worded differently than Washington’s “obstructing” statute)

of course there is likely more to the story than a refusal to identify.