• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So let me get this straight - I can't legally protect myself when I drive up to visit New Jersey?

c45man

imported post

Why does everyone wonder or question the number of restrictive gun laws in New Jersey. This is a state that doesn't trust people to pump their own gasoline. Why would they trust anyone with a firearm.

For anyone unaware, New Jersey is one of two states in the country that does not allow self serve at gas stations. An attendant must pump the gasoline into your tank.

WheelGun

imported post

Did anyone ever notice that the entire state of NJ smells like gasoline?

I think it's because the ground water has been replaced by 93 octane premium. Except Camden, Newark and the outskirts of Atlantic City - there its 87 octane regular.

You cannot pump your own gas there because they don't want you making a mistake that would problably blow up the entire state.

Pyrodox

imported post

PT111 wrote:
So let me get this straight - I can't legally protect myself when I drive up to visit New Jersey?
Yes you can protect yourself while in NJ, you just can't use a gun to do it.
Not fully, we have what's called "Duty to Retreat" in our laws.

Basically, if you have ANY avenue of escape from a situation before the use of violence is predicated, you MUST make an escape, or else you're criminally-liable for the use of violence, even if it's to stop someone from killing you.

Even in your own home, if someone broke in and is about to shoot you, you have to jump out your window or you're violating duty to retreat.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Pyrodox wrote:
PT111 wrote:

Basically, if you have ANY avenue of escape from a situation before the use of violence is predicated, you MUST make an escape, or else you're criminally-liable for the use of violence, even if it's to stop someone from killing you.

Even in your own home, if someone broke in and is about to shoot you, you have to jump out your window or you're violating duty to retreat.
It's incredible to me that this sort of legislation can exist in the United States. It runs counter to everythingthat webelievein ourculture. This is institutionalized cowardice. I've run into a 'Joisy' sounding snowbird here within the past week whoyells at me in a (Target) mall parking lot a few cars over:"What the hell are you doing with that gun???" "I'm calling the police!!!" (If I was a bad guy his ticket would'a been punched right there...)

So... I continue to load my SUV from the rear hatch... (He's on his cell phone) Then I hear him tellin' whoever's still in the front seat of his car...: "What kind of a place is this? Peoplewith guns in the streetsalready?"I slammed the hatch down on the Exploder 'n this dude jumped about a foot off the ground. He's still hangin' onto his cell phone... open mouthed.

I never said a word 'cept gave him a grin when I drove by him. I guess 911 operators get a lot of that this time of year.

Statesman

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
It's incredible to me that this sort of legislation can exist in the United States. It runs counter to everythingthat webelievein ourculture. This is institutionalized cowardice. I've run into a 'Joisy' sounding snowbird here within the past week whoyells at me in a (Target) mall parking lot a few cars over:"What the hell are you doing with that gun???" "I'm calling the police!!!" (If I was a bad guy his ticket would'a been punched right there...)

So... I continue to load my SUV from the rear hatch... (He's on his cell phone) Then I hear him tellin' whoever's still in the front seat of his car...: "What kind of a place is this? Peoplewith guns in the streetsalready?"I slammed the hatch down on the Exploder 'n this dude jumped about a foot off the ground. He's still hangin' onto his cell phone... open mouthed.

I never said a word 'cept gave him a grin when I drove by him. I guess 911 operators get a lot of that this time of year.
rofl....

Sonora,

Did the dispatcher laugh him off the phone?

Just tell him to drive back to his native state prison camp next time. Or better yet, give him a copy of "Innocents Betrayed" before sending him on his way.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Statesman wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

rofl....

Sonora,

Just tell him to drive back to his native state prison camp next time. Or better yet, give him a copy of "Innocents Betrayed" before sending him on his way.
I've learned not to engage them at all. They'll swear ya threatened 'em.The ol' 'stink-eye' usually gets a message across well enough.

von buck

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:

I have no idea why anyone remains in New Jersey... or would want to visit.

Well if your like my brother, who's lived there for 15 years, your a leftie, anti-2a person. Happy as a clam.
I hope nothing ever happens to him or his family because of it.

Ange

Chubs2287

imported post

I was born and raised in NJ for 20 Years. Then I moved to CT and boy was that teh smartest move I made. Now looking back NJ sucks, it took me 6 months to get a firearms ID card to buy friggin long guns. In CT took me 8 weeks to get a permit to OC or CC and buy a handgun with NO waiting period. I did screw up once and brought my gun back to my parents house in NJ. Thank God I didn't get pulled over. A springfield XDm in a .40 cal is a no no there with a high capacity clip.

Custodian

imported post

Jersey? I avoid that place with a vengeance.

I recall being pulled over once there just because I had a North Carolina license plate.

The trooper had the nerve to brag about it to his trainee. They thought, there was a possibility of me transporting a firearm into their state and possibly into New York (I was in Newark).

I was smart enough not to have my .40 S&W in the vehicle, but home in my safe.

They stopped causing me nuisance when they saw my NCDOC cred & badge when I gave them my driver's license.

I find it hard to fathom all this when I head up north.

HOW DID IT GET THIS BAD?!

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

pro2A wrote:
BRobb19 wrote:
I have a North Carolina Concealed Carry Handgun Permit, and of course Open Carry is legal in NC without any sort of permit.

But if I drive to NJ this summer to visit a friend, I can't carry a pistol on me, whether open or concealed???

Would I basically have to keep it in the trunk the entire road trip???

If this is the case, HOW DO PPL PROTECT THEMSELVES FROM ALL THE BAD GUYS UP THERE???
Throw your cell phone at the bad guy ;)
i think you can carry a ball peen hammer

JohnGalt

imported post

erichonda30 wrote:
i think you can carry a ball peen hammer

Whoa... Whoa... Slow down there Mr. I's gonna go postal with a ball peen hammer guy. You better check the definition of "weapon" under NJ law before you go making wild claims like that:

N.J. Stat. § 2C:39-1:

"Weapon" means anything readily capable of lethal use or of inflicting serious bodily injury. The term includes, but is not limited to, all (1) firearms, even though not loaded or lacking a clip or other component to render them immediately operable; (2) components which can be readily assembled into a weapon; (3) gravity knives, switchblade knives, daggers, dirks, stilettos, or other dangerous knives, billies, blackjacks, bludgeons, metal knuckles, sandclubs, slingshots, cesti or similar leather bands studded with metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood; and (4) stun guns; and any weapon or other device which projects, releases, or emits tear gas or any other substance intended to produce temporary physical discomfort or permanent injury through being vaporized or otherwise dispensed in the air.

N.J. Stat. § 2C:39-5 - Unlawful possession of weapons:

d. Other weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any other weapon under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for such lawful uses as it may have is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

So no - you can not carry your hammer in NJ for self-defense.

mrjam2jab

imported post

BRobb19 wrote:
I have a North Carolina Concealed Carry Handgun Permit, and of course Open Carry is legal in NC without any sort of permit.

But if I drive to NJ this summer to visit a friend, I can't carry a pistol on me, whether open or concealed???

How do you think I feel? I live 4 miles from the NJ border. I have 2 sets of relatives that live in NJ. Living this close, it's routine to cross over for normal stuff...last week saw Ringling Bros at the arena in Trenton.

PT111

imported post

Pyrodox wrote:
PT111 wrote:

So no point in bitching about the gun laws in joisey as it wouldn't matter if you had a gun or a ball point pen you would still be in trouble. Intersting situation that before everyone gets excited about gun laws there they need to work on ball peen hammer and ball point pen laws.

JohnGalt

imported post

Pyrodox wrote:

Not quite. The law in NJ, with regard to a duty to retreat, states:

N.J. Stat. § 2C:3-4 - Use of force in self-protection

(2) The use of deadly force is not justifiable under this section unless the actor reasonably believes that such force is necessary to protect himself against death or serious bodily harm; nor is it justifiable if:

. . .

(b) The actor knows that he can avoid the necessity of using such force with complete safety by retreating or by surrendering possession of a thing to a person asserting a claim of right thereto or by complying with a demand that he abstain from any action which he has no duty to take, except that:

(i) The actor is not obliged to retreat from his dwelling, unless he was the initial aggressor;

Note how it says "from his dwelling" which is ambiguous. It reads that while you have no duty to jump out the window to avoid using deadly force, you do have a duty to retreat within your own house. In 1998, a state appellate court, dealing with a deadly force case where the shooter killed a man in his kitchen (i.e. - did not retreat to his bedroom) stated: "A person need not retreat if the person is attacked in his or her home by someone who is not a cohabitant." State v. Blanks, 313 N.J. Super. 55, 63 (1998). The case has since been cited with approval multiple times.

So while there is no statutory castle doctrine in NJ, it looks like the courts have read and applied the law that way. But I stand by my statement and analysis above regarding ball peen hammers. So you can kill someone with a hammer in your house if you need to, without retreating, but you cannot carry it down the street unless you are going to a construction site. Enjoy your state.

PT111

imported post

So it appears from the legislative stand point that guns are pretty much useless there but the judges are a little more sensible. Tough either way. Have to remember that if ever I go back through that even if you have a gun legally by some loophole such as the transportation act you still can't use it and the BG's have all the rights. And I thought Hollywood was exaggerating with their depiction of the Garden State.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

press1280 wrote:
A small chemical spray is allowed under NJ law. That's about it, unfortunately, without the elusive NJ CCW.
I have heard the suggestion of a can of the streaming type of WASP/HORNET spray instead of OC types of spray.

Easier, Cheaper, much larger, MORE EFFECTIVE, and no one has a cow when they see the can on your desk, in your garage, or even in your vehicle!

edited to add: The effects, however, may tend to linger much longer!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Now I understand some things soooo much better - Bubba Ron and Dutch Uncle are both from Joisey - explains a lot. :p :lol:

Yata hey