• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So let me get this straight - I can't legally protect myself when I drive up to visit New Jersey?

mrjam2jab

imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
press1280 wrote:
A small chemical spray is allowed under NJ law. That's about it, unfortunately, without the elusive NJ CCW.
I have heard the suggestion of a can of the streaming type of WASP/HORNET spray instead of OC types of spray.

Easier, Cheaper, much larger, MORE EFFECTIVE, and no one has a cow when they see the can on your desk, in your garage, or even in your vehicle!

edited to add: The effects, however, may tend to linger much longer!

Pros and cons to that

merle

imported post

So how does this work if you can't stay and have guns?

I'm coming from Nevada and thinking of doing a road trip to see the folks on NJ. I usually carry an AR-15, 870P and a holstered sidearm (don't know which one) on/with me (we got 4 and 2 legged varmints).

Can I lock them up when I hit the ol' homestead, or do it before crossing the Walt Whitman, or what?

6000+ miles of cross country driving UNARMED because I'm going to stay in NJ for a few days is NOT appealing.

PT111

imported post

merle wrote:
So how does this work if you can't stay and have guns?

I'm coming from Nevada and thinking of doing a road trip to see the folks on NJ. I usually carry an AR-15, 870P and a holstered sidearm (don't know which one) on/with me (we got 4 and 2 legged varmints).

Can I lock them up when I hit the ol' homestead, or do it before crossing the Walt Whitman, or what?

6000+ miles of cross country driving UNARMED because I'm going to stay in NJ for a few days is NOT appealing.
Make themcome see you. They are the ones causing the problem so either theycome to Nevada or meet you half-way. :p

JohnGalt

imported post

merle wrote:

Nope - you can't bring them AT ALL. Doing so would be a violation of state and federal law.

18 USCS § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. (emphasis added).

So if you are not permitted to carry in NJ, then you cannot transport your firearms from home to NJ.

Maverick9110e

Just moved out of NJ 3 months ago. THANK GOD! It's almost a crime to even want to have a firearm of any type there. What i wonder is if i would still be able to transport in my trunk because i still have my NJ Firearms ID card.....

waapl01

nc to nj

I have a North Carolina Concealed Carry Handgun Permit, and of course Open Carry is legal in NC without any sort of permit.

But if I drive to NJ this summer to visit a friend, I can't carry a pistol on me, whether open or concealed???

Would I basically have to keep it in the trunk the entire road trip???

If this is the case, HOW DO PPL PROTECT THEMSELVES FROM ALL THE BAD GUYS UP THERE???
If u are passing thru gun locked in trunk unloaded magskept seperately and i would'nt even carry ammo in the car. if u are going to stay in jersey, i'd say leave ur gun at home. even if passing thru and decide to hotel/motel it don't bring ur guns into the hotel/motel. if u get caught u'll get locked up.

MKEgal

If your gun is in the trunk, in a case (whether or not it's unloaded or the case is locked) how do the police know about it? Do they routinely violate the 4th Amendment when they stop someone for speeding, or for being from out of state, or for the infamous intermittant "light out" on the license plate?

How do they rationalize rummaging through someone's car, esp. the parts that aren't visible & that the operator & passengers can't reach while the car is in motion? More importantly, how do they survive the civil rights lawsuits?

Since my first/last/most recent armed interaction with police (04JUL10) I've added a lock to my carrying case. If it looks like there will be another interaction, while I'm in the car, I plan to lock the case & not answer questions. (Or rather, as Citizen pointed out, I will cooperate to the full extent required by law... that being to exercise my 4A & 5A rights.)

JohnGalt

If your gun is in the trunk, in a case (whether or not it's unloaded or the case is locked) how do the police know about it? Do they routinely violate the 4th Amendment when they stop someone for speeding, or for being from out of state, or for the infamous intermittant "light out" on the license plate?

I think that the original post was asking what was legal rather than what he could "get away with."

Alexandria

Wow! I was born in Jersey but currently live in Florida. We were talking of relocating back up there within the next two years if my company would give me a transfer. But ummm...no thank you after reading this. I had no idea Jersey laws were so strict on gun control. I guess I need to find another state near there that has better gun laws.

The Wolfhound

Gee, looks like my mere presence is a violation

With my training from my not quite misspent youth, I seem to qualify as a dangerous object. New Jersey has some really stupid laws. I shall avoid going there. I cannot leave my hands locked in the trunk. Besides my vehicle does not have a trunk anyway.

carry for myself

go to vermont lol almost no gun laws there. as such. shooting someone ....or shooting at someone. is imprisonment for no more than one year and a fine not to exceed $100 lmao.........wow. pointing a gun at someone....$50 fine haha no jail. move to vermont haha

http://www.atg.state.vt.us/issues/gun-laws.php

look at title code section 4011 haha

urby420

Your must be a perfect citizen to even own a handgun in new jersey

My father obtained his handgun lisence in new jersey 4 years ago at age 57. He was drafted in vietnam but did not get sent over. He worked for the nyse for 36 years never had anything more then a traffic ticket in his life. It took 2 months with much paper work and FBI background checks to just obtain the lisence. The fbi called friends of his to ask questions on his lifestyle and habits.
All in all getting a handgun lisence in jersey is hard nevermind an open or concealed carry lisence. Have fun getting a gun in jersey thank god my dad could get a lisence cause I would never be elligble for one.

Kate0558

Yea I grew up in Jersey. Unless you are raised and influenced by hunters/ gun supporters... You will, no doubt, learn to fear guns. The only thing you hear about guns in Jersey is stuff on the news about the "bad guys" having guns. There was a murder, someone robbed at gun point. That kind of thing.
I know this because I was one of them. Guns simply werent talked about unless it was in the hands of bad guys. No one carried them except for cops. Cops were the only ones that r allowed pretty much.

I moved to NC last year and had been shooting once before when thankfully I met my boyfriend who was one of the few gun supporters living in NJ. Now, my parents, my sisters, all my friends... think i am completely nuts. They really believe that guns are meant ONLY for the purpose of killing people. So I guess if I own a gun that makes me a murderer? I certainly hope not. I've given up trying to explain it. My sister ran out of the room at the site of an UNLOADED rifle and they tell me to unload all of them and lock them up before they visit. i refused :)

LthLWpN

I was born and raised there. When I joined the USMC I swore I was never going back because I have always been a huge 2nd amendment supporter. Well, after getting dragged back there by my now EX wife I couldn't stand not being able to carry. So I became an LEO. LEO's in NJ can carry concealed anytime, anywhere. I have finally managed to extricate myself once again from that hell hole and am currently in the process (again) of becoming an LEO, in the great state of Texas, thank you very much :D. Nazi like gun control is only one of many many many reasons why I will never go back. I could go on for days.....It is what it is, the liberals OWN NJ and always will. Thank God for the south!

countryclubjoe

Why does everyone wonder or question the number of restrictive gun laws in New Jersey. This is a state that doesn't trust people to pump their own gasoline. Why would they trust anyone with a firearm.

For anyone unaware, New Jersey is one of two states in the country that does not allow self serve at gas stations. An attendant must pump the gasoline into your tank.

Having someone else pump your gas is the only good thing about NJ.

Last edited:

DanNabis

I have a North Carolina Concealed Carry Handgun Permit, and of course Open Carry is legal in NC without any sort of permit.

But if I drive to NJ this summer to visit a friend, I can't carry a pistol on me, whether open or concealed???

Would I basically have to keep it in the trunk the entire road trip???

If this is the case, HOW DO PPL PROTECT THEMSELVES FROM ALL THE BAD GUYS UP THERE???

It is technically legal but it has been criminalized.
NJ doesnt believe in any rights.

How do we protect ourselves?
We don't.
We are victims. We are killed or shot or stabbed or raped or kidnapped because we can not noncriminally defend ourselves.

even in the home NJ requires all possible retreat be explored - you must jump out of your window before you can even consider shooting back.

Id advise avoiding NJ and if it is not trumped in court than I propose we jettison it in to the ocean along with MA, philly, NYC and Denver.

DanNabis

My father obtained his handgun lisence in new jersey 4 years ago at age 57. He was drafted in vietnam but did not get sent over. He worked for the nyse for 36 years never had anything more then a traffic ticket in his life. It took 2 months with much paper work and FBI background checks to just obtain the lisence. The fbi called friends of his to ask questions on his lifestyle and habits.
All in all getting a handgun lisence in jersey is hard nevermind an open or concealed carry lisence. Have fun getting a gun in jersey thank god my dad could get a lisence cause I would never be elligble for one.

My handgun permits took over 6 months of waiting. And 2 people must attest to your character and conduct to the police.