• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Sound OC Report........

Grim_Night

Firearms are not required to meet. Don't let that hold you back. I know your situation from the other thread, don't be discouraged. I think must of us like to get together with other freedom loving folks.

Heh... I should actually have my gun here in a few more days. I ordered my smith and wesson M&P 40 on the 1st. Unfortunately, because of the holiday, the order didn't get processed till tuesday. The store manager told me that it should be in about the 10th or 11th but I then still have to do the background check. I'm also applying for my CPL come monday the 10th so I'll be able to CC and OC within a month.

decklin

A Little Late.....

So I'm posting this a little late. This will actually cover the weekend of the 31st-2nd. (Labor Day Weekend)
Saturday the 1st I went to American Lake with my Wife, the in-laws, brother in-law visiting from South Dakota, and other brother in-law his wife and two kids.
My father in-law had invited everyone out to his boat for some swimming, wakeboarding, and tubing.
When we arrived at American Lake at about 1030 we were among the first ones there. I walked to the bathroom and found this 3x5 (apprx.) sign on the building.
lakewood law.jpg

At this point we were ready to launch the boat so I met up with the others at the boat ramp. As I was walking down I saw a Crown Vic parked next to the ramp and a moment later saw the Officer. I thought to myself, "Here we go." I reached in my pocket for my phone and realized it was safely stowed in my Assault Pack. On the boat.
So I get down to the boat and am standing there for all of 3.5 seconds when the cop sees me and approaches.
I mentally prepared myself and then he says, "Hey, is that a Springfield?"
Me, "No, it's a Sig."
Cop, "Really? That's a beautiful firearm. Hope you don't lose it in the water!"
I laughed and said, "No, once we're out it's going in my bag."
The Officer says, "I'm just glad you're not leaving it in your car." He chuckles, "People are always leaving them in their car and I'm going no don't do that! Please don't do that!"
Then we spoke fpr a couple minutes about the lake, how we were surprised at the lack of people and some other stuff.
This Officer was incredibly professional and friendly. I really wish I had payed more attention to his name so I could submit a compliment to his department.
We had a great day on the Lake and afterwards went to the in-law's house in Puyallup. We had dinner then I ran home to grab my tent, sleeping bag, and one of my dogs.

I was going camping with my brother in-laws and some of their friends. We went out to Bertha May Lake in Lewis County. It was dark when we got there so we had to climb up in the dark. Two of our party were already at the site so there was a fire waiting for us. We stayed just the one night and spent the whole day hiking, fishing, and just enjoying being outside. A few of the others started open carrying their pistols when they saw me doing it.
We went to high rock lookout at the end of the day and had some outstanding views. If you guys have not been to this area I highly recommend going.

One of the guys was really interested in open carry and said, "OC is the way I want to carry. I thought about getting a CPL but I didn't want to forfeit my rights. You know?"
I took me a second to really hear what he said and then I replied, "Wait. What do you mean forfeit your rights?"
He says, "You know, when you get a CPL you have to CC. You can't OC anymore."
I said, "Where did you hear that?"
He says, "A cop told me. A cop told my dad the same thing. That's why he doesn't have a CPL either."
I just shook my head and began explaining the law.
No, I did not ask what department told him this or when this occurred.
All in all it was a great weekend.

DeltaOps

Last few days OCed aound many diffeent places. I have not had any issues in a long time so I really have nothing neg to report.

Sat morn. My 8 year old and I went to alder lake fishing. Had a few boaters around the dock. Nothing was ever said, no looks or wispering comments. Talked to one guy and his wife for a while, but it was only about fishing for Bass. That night we went to my parents for a combined Bday party, unloaded and locked my gun in the vehicle. Played Texas Hold-em and drank for a while. Never put the gun back on my hip that night nor did I even touch it.

Sun we went to the WWFair. I CCed the entire time( yes I know I was not suppsed too, however, I will not be another statistic nor will my family or friends when we are together). Walked around for a while, let the kids ride on some rides. My younger two boys wanted to catch a trout so we waited in line for the kids fish free trout pond. The girl seen a hot tub she was interested in, so we went over and looked at it. Ended up buying it.

Monday. Took the boys to school, OCed till I had to get out and walk them up to the school doors. After that I went to Sportco and bought a BiPod for my new 308 and some ammo as well. Went home, mounted to bipod and now I need to readjust my scope. Anyways that will be saved for a different forum.

All in all it was a great weekend.

decklin

Sun we went to the WWFair. I CCed the entire time( yes I know I was not suppsed too, however, I will not be another statistic nor will my family or friends when we are together). Walked around for a while, let the kids ride on some rides. My younger two boys wanted to catch a trout so we waited in line for the kids fish free trout pond. The girl seen a hot tub she was interested in, so we went over and looked at it. Ended up buying it.

You know what? It's not illegal to do that. It just violates their policy. I did the exact same thing when I went to the fair on Saturday. I did the same thing the last time I went 2 years ago too. Nobody cares about you and your family so keep doing what you need to be safe.

The Wife and I looked at some hot tubs as well. Some day. Some day.

How is the fishing on Alder Lake? I drive by there pretty regularly but have never stopped. It's on the way to some of my favorite hunting/hiking spots.

Freedom1Man

You know what? It's not illegal to do that. It just violates their policy. I did the exact same thing when I went to the fair on Saturday. I did the same thing the last time I went 2 years ago too. Nobody cares about you and your family so keep doing what you need to be safe.

How is the fishing on Alder Lake? I drive by there pretty regularly but have never stopped. It's on the way to some of my favorite hunting/hiking spots.

I was there Saturday too, also CC.

DeltaOps

The Kokanees are getting ready to spawn so the fishing will be good. When we went we only caught two but it was off the bottom. Had several bites but just couldn't hook them. I will be going almost every weekend until spawning season is over. I will be OCing as usuall. (trying to stay on topic here. The only weekend I will not be going is this weekend. Doing a garage sell and on Sunday I will be zeroing my new rifle I just bought. I will be OCing at the garage sell and while zeroing. Getting eady to hunt for the firat time in a long time. I will be OCing while I hunt as well.

As far as the fishing goes, since the lake is still higher than usuall, it may be a little harder this year to catch the Kokanees but I will still go, using a jig with power bait or whatever I may have in my tackle. Every weekend they seem to bite somehting different.

OC on and its going to be a busy reat of the year for me.

aa1911

Deklin, you have the same stompin' grounds sounds like; I frequent hi-rock and skate creek/ FR52 area as well as south of Hi 12 Walupt lake/mt adams area for hunting, camping, shooting, etc. I did a day trip up to bertha may and the other lakes there last year around early June, we had to walk on 4-6' of snow pack! We threw some line in the first lake but it was about 90% frozen over still, didn't see any fish. Very good views from up there too.

I've had nothing but positive response (if any) from everywhere I've gone lately in Lacey. Safura's (Greek restaurant) on 6th ave by Sleater-Kinney shopping area hasn't said a word to me, been OCing in there every week for about 4 months now (awesome food BTW). One of the younger kids waiting on me was obviously nervous last week, he kept asking me every 2 minutes if I was doing OK, kinda funny. Either that he was bored.

Fred Meyer here has not ever been an issue, I go in the Lacey store weekly; the cashier's are usually the only ones to even notice, they are very polite. Wholesale sports last week for the second time, gun counter guys were watching me rouse thru the ammo isles for about 15 minutes but didn't seem to mind or care very much.

Barber shop in Tillicum for haircuts, don't know if they even noticed but no issue with OC. (super K accross from McD's)

Can't even keep track anymore, OC has become part of my daily routine 100% this year and will continue. :monkey

aa1911

I've not fished Alder lake myself, I'm staying busy with the fall Chinook run on the Nisqually. but Walupt lake has tons of trout. went up to Wobbly Lake off of FR 22 below Elk Peak a couple weeks ago for bear, tons of fish in there too. It's an easy 1.5 mile hike and is ATV or MTB compatable also. There's a decent campsite about 100m from the lake off the trail. Packwood lake is a great spot for good fishing too. (and Riffe lake, silvers are thick as flies in the summer!)

last time I went to Packwood lake was on the tail end of a family camping trip a couple years ago, we hiked back on the foot only trail and came out the road/boat approach trail; I had my AK with me with a full chest rig along with my pistols, got a few looks but the only person that said anything was a lady in the parking area when we got back. She asked if I was hunting, I said no, she then asked why I had a long gun. I told her, 'it keeps people honest'. she agreed and we went on with our business.

Tactical SS

If anybody wants to get together thursday or friday, I'll be free to meet up with some fellow open carriers in the tacoma/lakewood area. Either PM me or reply to this thread.

I would be open the the idea of a meet up tomorrow. If something gets organized let me know. I'm in the Puyallup/Tacoma area.

tombrewster421

If anybody wants to get together thursday or friday, I'll be free to meet up with some fellow open carriers in the tacoma/lakewood area. Either PM me or reply to this thread.

I'll be back at work in Lakewood on Friday. Starbucks is always good. I'm off at 3

Grim_Night

just got home... and i'm in love lol... I open carried from the point that I picked up the gun and finished the rest of the paperwork to the point that I walked through the door. Encountered a tacoma city LEO at walgreens on 56th and pacific ave. He never even mentioned my gun. OCd on pierce transit and not a word was spoken. Seems to have been an uneventful day generally speaking. As for meeting up tomorrow, I will be in the general vacinity of the verizon store with the starbucks on the opposite side from around 10 am on.

cpgrad08

just got home... and i'm in love lol... I open carried from the point that I picked up the gun and finished the rest of the paperwork to the point that I walked through the door. Encountered a tacoma city LEO at walgreens on 56th and pacific ave. He never even mentioned my gun. OCd on pierce transit and not a word was spoken. Seems to have been an uneventful day generally speaking. As for meeting up tomorrow, I will be in the general vacinity of the verizon store with the starbucks on the opposite side from around 10 am on.

I can make that and congrats on your first OC.

Vitaeus

be careful about OC on public transit, if it is loaded you need a CPL per 9.41.050, unless you fit an exemption from 9.41.060. There was a long thread on RAS in regards to being cited, but no one disagreed that you did need it.

Oh and congratulations on your first OC.