• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Sound OC Report........

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
As a retailer, I'm curious how this went down. Would you mind elaborating?

The policy that our company signed clearly indicates that we are allowed to request ID for credit card transactions and in some cases we are required to check ID. I've had people attempt to "school me" when I make the request, but often I shut them down because they haven't actually signed their card and now I'm required to see their ID. I find it funny that they think their experts on the policy, and can tell me what to do, but they actually have never read it. (See the links that NavyLCDR posted for more info).

Correct. Cards must be signed by the bearer of the card. In addition, if you write "See ID" or "C I D" in the signature line your card is not good for Visa/MC purchases.

O_Kellogg

Hold on a minute.

Are you saying that all I need to do is "acquire" a wallet in which the *ID sig* matches the *VISA sig*?

5' 10"? Brown hair? Let's go shopping!!!

Or, on the other hand, shouldn't you match the VISA sig to the sig that you just witnessed on the receipt? You WERE paying attention when they signed, right? *SQUIRREL!!*

Since the VISA card STATES "Signature required" or "Not valid unless signed", why accept an unsigned card as payment?

solus

It is kind of funny, though. I currently have 5 visa and mastercards in my wallet that I have been using for years, not a single one has a signature on the back.

oh dear, mine all have 'ask for foto' on the back in red sharpie marker. started this when a bank teller in a foreign country took the liberity to take a 5K cash advance.

ipse

Difdi

The policy that our company signed clearly indicates that we are allowed to request ID for credit card transactions and in some cases we are required to check ID. I've had people attempt to "school me" when I make the request, but often I shut them down because they haven't actually signed their card and now I'm required to see their ID. I find it funny that they think their experts on the policy, and can tell me what to do, but they actually have never read it. (See the links that NavyLCDR posted for more info).

The ability to make ID a condition of purchase when a credit card is properly signed is a relatively recent thing -- in the last ten years. For decades before that, merchants really were forbidden by contract to require ID unless the card wasn't signed (and both then and now, unsigned cards are voided).

Then he asks "Do you kill people?"

I'd probably have quipped back something like "Do you molest sheep?"

Or, on the other hand, shouldn't you match the VISA sig to the sig that you just witnessed on the receipt? You WERE paying attention when they signed, right? *SQUIRREL!!*

Actually, most people aren't qualified to analyze a signature that way. It's counter-intuitive, but there are small variances in how you sign every time you sign. A signature that is absolutely identical every time is actually a strong indicator of a forgery -- generally, only people who have been trained to replicate a specific signature typically do that.

Last edited:

decklin

Hold on a minute.

Are you saying that all I need to do is "acquire" a wallet in which the *ID sig* matches the *VISA sig*?

5' 10"? Brown hair? Let's go shopping!!!

Since the VISA card STATES "Signature required" or "Not valid unless signed", why accept an unsigned card as payment?

We do match the signature on the back of the card with what was entered on the pin pad.
If there is no signature on the card we ask for id. If the id matches I hand you a pen. The transaction will not be complete until you sign the card.
Per company policy.

Grim_Night

I'd like to see an employee or manager from someplace like a restaurant, try and refuse payment from somebody that just got done eating and is now trying to pay with their unsigned Visa or Mastercard, who also has no other method of payment and has no photo ID.

With as many people here on these forums that flat out say that they do not carry ID (driver's license or what have you) and those of us that refuse to carry cash or checks, the employee or manager would be stuck between a rock and a hard place. Either refuse to let the person pay, or let the person pay and risk a fraud issue.

This seems like an interesting experiment. I think I may have to try it while also open carrying. I wonder if they might call the police on me.

Last edited:

SW40VE-OC

[SNIP] and 00/100--------- (remember when we used to have to write that out on checks?)[/QUOTE]
Huh? You mean we there's no requirement for the "00/100" or "no/100" text on a check anymore? Since when?(rhetorical question) Never mind a cite, I'll look it up myself. Man, I need to do lots more reading.

Last edited:

Difdi

I'd like to see an employee or manager from someplace like a restaurant, try and refuse payment from somebody that just got done eating and is now trying to pay with their unsigned Visa or Mastercard, who also has no other method of payment and has no photo ID.

Actually, the result of that is so traditional it's a cliche.

I hope you like doing dishes, because odds are there are a lot of them in your future. That's if the manager is nice. The other option involves handcuffs and a trip to the local jail.

Grim_Night

Actually, the result of that is so traditional it's a cliche.

I hope you like doing dishes, because odds are there are a lot of them in your future. That's if the manager is nice. The other option involves handcuffs and a trip to the local jail.

Well my debit card is unsigned, but it has my photo on the front. Good luck with any officer who is going to back up the store on that one.

Geerolla

No one verifies signatures anymore, ever. It's especially frustrating when my favorite sandwich shop started checking ID on all purchases. No one is committing fraud at a ******* sandwich place. I'm sure they didn't check signature, let some punk use his parents card and got chewed out over it. Ultimately it's just lazy. Verify signature, it's the conditions you agreed to as a merchant. Just ******* do it.

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Safeway, Fred Meyer, Lowe's, Office Depot in Auburn....

I have not had any issues in Auburn since I have lived here for the last 2 years.

Also, occasionally I see a OC sighting at AutoZone, kudos to the guys that carry.

O_Kellogg

Curious. What does this signing talk have to do with the opening topic?

Nothin!

Clearly demonstrating that it's it's a bigger hassle to pay with plastic than it is to OC in the South Sound:cool:

Yesterday, made a few stops around Lacey: McD's on Marvin (wifi and had a coupon), Barber Express on Martin, Home Depot on Fones, Lowe's on Martin, a few other misc stops.
The usual stops around Yelm: Mt. Lumber, Walmart, Sunbird, 4 Corners...

No panic, no fanfare...

Last edited: