• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spotsylvania A3 zoning and backyard target practice

FreedomVA

Hello everyone,

Anyone know the ordinance for backyard target practice on A3 zoning with 3+ acres with plenty of trees and backstop? Also what is consider a subdivision in Spotsy?

Blk97F150

Hello everyone,

Anyone know the ordinance for backyard target practice on A3 zoning with 3+ acres with plenty of trees and backstop? Also what is consider a subdivision in Spotsy?

Here is what I found in the Spotsy County Code:

https://library.municode.com/va/spo...ces?nodeId=COCO_CH14OFIS_ARTIINGE_S14-8DIFISU

Sec. 14-8. - Discharging firearm in subdivision.

It shall be unlawful and a Class 1 misdemeanor for any person to discharge or shoot any firearm in any subdivision of the county. This section shall not apply to law enforcement officers, animal wardens or to any person acting in defense of his or another's person or property.

I do not know exactly how they define 'subdivision'.

Note that Spotsy code also has a 'noise' ordinance listed, but firearms appear to be exempted:

https://library.municode.com/va/spo...inances?nodeId=COCO_CH14OFIS_ARTIINO_S14-52EX

Sec. 14-51. - Maximum permissible sound levels generally.

Except as otherwise provided, any noise which emanates from any operation, activity or source and which exceeds the maximum permissible sound levels established in this section below is hereby prohibited. When a noise source can be identified and its noise measured in more than one zoning district classification, the limits of the most restrictive classification shall apply.

Sec. 14-52. - Exemptions.

(b) The following activities or sources of noise shall be exempt during all hours from this article, except to the extent as herein limited:

(8) The use of firearms (which use is governed by other provisions of federal, state and county law).

FreedomVA

i thought i saw and exempt from subdivisions for A-3 and RR somewhere, but i can't find it now.

On the other note, i hear all my neighbors shooting everyday like its 4th of July :banana:

Last edited:

FreedomVA

Yes, i have been vigorously reading through the VDGIF (Spotsy is not listed) and others VA statues and local ordinances, but still can not find the definite answers.

I found this:

http://www.fredericksburg.com/local...cle_78c333a0-861d-5ff5-82ec-11768c0201ae.html

Spotsy ordinances:

" It shall be unlawful and a Class 1 misdemeanor for any person to discharge or shoot any firearm in any subdivision of the county. This section shall not apply to law enforcement officers, animal wardens or to any person acting in defense of his or another's person or property.
(Code 1980, § 12-7; Ord. No. 14-15, 10-11-11)
Editor's note— Ord. No. 14-15, adopted October 11, 2011, changed the title of section 14-8 from "Discharging firearm or gas or air gun in subdivision" to "Discharging firearm in subdivision." The historical notation has been preserved for reference purposes.
Cross reference— Penalty for Class 1 misdemeanor, § 1-11; subdivisions, Ch. 20.
State Law reference— Authority for above section, Code of Virginia, § 15.1-518."

FreedomVA

Thank you to all that replied, i am good to shoot in my backyard, as i am not in a subdivision. Time to setup some targets.

FreedomVA

Will the zoning board member you talked too be going to jail instead of you if info they provided is wrong?

My county ordinance states: I am not in located in a SUBDIVISION. But i will check with the SO.

It shall be unlawful and a Class 1 misdemeanor for any person to discharge or shoot any firearm in any subdivision of the county. This section shall not apply to law enforcement officers, animal wardens or to any person acting in defense of his or another's person or property.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Who would you suggest that he contact... to appropriately determine whether his property is ZONED as a 'subdivision'?

what is the definition of "subdivision"---
A: Any portion of the county less than the whole county is a "subdivision" of the county.
B: A housing development is a "subdivision" of the county.

Is there an "official" definition of "subdivision" in the specific ordinance in question? or is one hoping they are on the right side of the law while attempting to abide by and be in compliance of a statute with an undefined term.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A: Any portion of the county less than the whole county is a "subdivision" of the county.

Is there an "official" definition of "subdivision" in the specific ordinance in question? or is one hoping they are on the right side of the law while attempting to abide by and be in compliance of a statute with an undefined term.

"Subdivision," unless otherwise defined in an ordinance adopted pursuant to § 15.2-2240, means the division of a parcel of land into three or more lots or parcels of less than five acres each for the purpose of transfer of ownership or building development, or, if a new street is involved in such division, any division of a parcel of land. The term includes resubdivision and, when appropriate to the context, shall relate to the process of subdividing or to the land subdivided and solely for the purpose of recordation of any single division of land into two lots or parcels, a plat of such division shall be submitted for approval in accordance with § 15.2-2258.

http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title15.2/chapter22/section15.2-2201/

Blk97F150

Grapeshot posted the definition of 'subdivision' per Virginia law. (Thank you Grape! :cool: )

Note that the specific legal definition of 'Subdivision' falls within Chapter 22 of the Code of Virginia: "Chapter 22. Planning, Subdivision of Land and Zoning". The OP had a question about whether their specific piece of property was considered part of a 'subdivision'. They called the Spotsylvania County Zoning Board and received an answer (presumably to their satisfaction.. as they can now shoot on their own property. :banana:) I assume that answers your question/suppositions? :confused:

FreedomVA

Shooting is allowed on my land, but i have to take precautions for my neighbors and their properties.