• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Star pistols

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Wanted to show one of my favorites, but am stopped by a fatal error when attempting to post/reply on the following thread:
Anyone Carry A Star Firestar?
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...e-Carry-A-Star-Firestar&p=1674930#post1674930

My FireStar M40 is one of my favorite compact handguns - totally reliable and very accurate. Carry it in a Galico F519T AV218 holster.

jqnbwn.jpg

Last edited:

Jameson

Ive actually had a bad taste put in my mouth with the older Star pistols... My grandfather passed away last april and left me a Star .380, I took it shooting and had alot of malfunctions with it jamming, double feeding, and slide release pin backing out while firing. It was brand new in 1995 when he bought it and was never fired.

Not that im saying they are still a bad company but I love the way this .380 looks and shot when it would decide to but.

Here is a picture of the gun im talking about and not my picture, only for reference.

Smith009.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Ive actually had a bad taste put in my mouth with the older Star pistols... My grandfather passed away last april and left me a Star .380, I took it shooting and had alot of malfunctions with it jamming, double feeding, and slide release pin backing out while firing. It was brand new in 1995 when he bought it and was never fired.

Not that im saying they are still a bad company but I love the way this .380 looks and shot when it would decide to but.

Here is a picture of the gun im talking about and not my picture, only for reference.

Last year of production for Star was 1997 so not sure what is meant here by "older Star pistols."

Any semi-auto needs to have several hundred (or more) rounds run through it before it can be deemed reliable. I would strip it, clean and lub it including the magazines + inspect for any deformities (especially the mag lips), burrs, rust etc. Then run the requisite rounds through it. You have essentially a NIB gun that just needs some tender loving care - storing w/o maintenance could be much of the problem.

Star is known for their basic, no nonsense, solid guns.

Jameson

Last year of production for Star was 1997 so not sure what is meant here by "older Star pistols."

Any semi-auto needs to have several hundred (or more) rounds run through it before it can be deemed reliable. I would strip it, clean and lub it including the magazines + inspect for any deformities (especially the mag lips), burrs, rust etc. Then run the requisite rounds through it. You have essentially a NIB gun that just needs some tender loving care - storing w/o maintenance could be much of the problem.

Star is known for their basic, no nonsense, solid guns.

I put about 100 rounds through it of american eagle and put it away after from the frustration. It holds more of a sentimental value then of a use type value to me at this point. But by older pistols I was refering to this series that I have, I only briefly looked up information about it and its the S model which was in production from 1940-1983 and that is what I ment by the "older models" So it was NIB but not a new pistol. I did do some work removing a few burrs it had in the slide its self and lubed it well. Ill get back to it at some point and try to track down parts to do a mini restoration to it. Its stainless and in great shape with no signs of rust or anything like that, it was kept under his bed and has been in my safe inside the house.

1245A Defender

hummm.....

please send that gun to me for further study:lol::lol:
I have 2 star modelo supers, 9x23... 9mm largo, made in about 1975.
your gun was made before 1983, for sure,,, maybe before 1948.
I would need to inspect many of its features to tell you for certain.
please enjoy this web site,, Star Bonifacio Echeverria, S. A. : Armas : Firearms

there are others, just google star pistols, then the same but add s series.
my gun is an A, 9mm luger is B, yours is S

pm me for my address and shipping instructions,,, no really!! I would be happy to buy it...

I was researching and typing while you were, but

001-7.jpg

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
My every day carry is a CZ82 but I have carried my Star BM on occasion. I like military weapons (got to have that lanyard ring). The BM I carry is a "CSP" weapon. Spanish secret police. It had a bit of holster wear, but was hardly fired. Goes to show you how much they train. Great weapon, shoots well. I broke a barrel link at the range last month (soft steel) and it did not take long to get a stainless steel replacement.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My every day carry is a CZ82 but I have carried my Star BM on occasion. I like military weapons (got to have that lanyard ring). The BM I carry is a "CSP" weapon. Spanish secret police. It had a bit of holster wear, but was hardly fired. Goes to show you how much they train. Great weapon, shoots well. I broke a barrel link at the range last month (soft steel) and it did not take long to get a stainless steel replacement.

Never have seen a model BM with a lanyard ring before.

What does "CSP" represent? These are the only intelligence agencies for whom I could find reference":

From whom did you acquire the barrel link? Parts are available, but sometimes a bit difficult to find in the states.

GWbiker

I had two of the Firestar series made toward the end of STAR's existence. An M-43 9mm and a MI30-9. Both were built like a tank with forged steel frames. When lubed with Slide Glide on frames/slide/barrel contact areas, I saw amazing reliability and accuracy at 21'.

A collector of Spanish handguns out of Utah made me an offer for both handguns that I could not refuse.

What is sad about today's gun market is, STAR is out of business and the polymere frame crap handguns are selling well.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
"CSP", usually found on the right side of the slide, means "Cuerpo Superior de Policia". The CSP is responsible for criminal investigations and political control. Usually non-uniformed, especially in rural areas, and referred to as "Le Secreta."

Forgot the barrel link stuff. I did a search on the internet and found a guy that made two of them out of stainless for US$20. Like the russian guy in the commercial, "I jumped in it!" (I will dig out the particulars and send them to you.

these are the only slide marks I know about.
CSP = Cuerpo Superior de Policia
CGP = Cuerpo General de Policia
GC = Guardia Civil
ET = Ejercito de Tierra (Spanish Army)
PN = Policia National
FN = Fuerza Naval

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"CSP", usually found on the right side of the slide, means "Cuerpo Superior de Policia". The CSP is responsible for criminal investigations and political control. Usually non-uniformed, especially in rural areas, and referred to as "Le Secreta."

Forgot the barrel link stuff. I did a search on the internet and found a guy that made two of them out of stainless for US$20. Like the russian guy in the commercial, :I jumped in it!" (I will dig out the particulars and send them to you.

Interesting trivia/history that.

Wish I could still buy Stars (particularly the BM) at the old prices - used to keep one or two on hand for newbie relatives/friends as "first guns." Gave my grand daughter my last one - it should serve her well.

HK_dave

had a Super B 9mm for a while.

1287738173.jpg

one day chambered a round and the hammer dropped and it fired. got rid of that POS.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
had a Super B 9mm for a while.

View attachment 8518

one day chambered a round and the hammer dropped and it fired. got rid of that POS.

Next time that happens, I will give you the address of my FFL in Richmond, Va.

Any gun can wear out or break parts - they all should be inspected regularly, Why would anyone wait for something to go wrong first? All internals are still available for Stars.

What is junk to one person is a treasure to another.

What is junk to one person is a treasure to another.

vary true, iv never heard of this brand before but they look pretty nice.

whats the going price on some of these? im always looking for some sort of cheap firearms (not for defense or carry) just to say i have one more gun :)

Doble Troble

A Star BM was my very first handgun. Super reliable.

I still have it along with a Super B in 9 mm Largo. I carry the Super sometimes. It'll push a 124 gr Gold Dot ~1250 fps w/o breaking a sweat.

The Supers are very well designed, and again reliable as rain.

FireStar M40

STAR.. A Subject Near and Dear To My Heart..!!

STAR.. especially FireStar M40's I could talk about forever. I bought my FireStar M40 new, way back in the very early 90's.. and then had it completely Combat Customized at the shop by:

1.) Additionally flared & beveled magazine well
2.) Coned hammer
3.) Checkered rear slide face
4.) Milled rear slide serrations
5.) Tuned & adjusted extractor
6.) Radiused & melded slide frame front
7.) Reduced strength thumb safety plunger spring
8.) Reduced strength firing pin safety spring
9.) Radiused & honed slide stop/release
10) Heavier hand made sear spring
11) Honed & reduced trigger pull from 7.5 lbs to 4.5 lbs
12) Reverse crowned the muzzle
13) Tightened & hand lapped frame to slide assembly
14) Reduced muzzle rise & recoil through "Auto Porting" by Mag-Na-Port
15) Installed Trijicon Tritium 3 dot night sights
16) Removed Starvel finish installing Ni-Tex Mat finish

As result of my customizing, I received a letter from "Mag-Na-Port" signed by Ken Kelly (President) indicating that my FireStar was the first one he had ever "Auto-Ported".

In addition to the above, I also have a letter from Nitex telling me my FireStar was also the first FireStar they had finished.

I would assume, considering the full service gun shop received one of the first sent out orders of FireStar night sights, that I was one of the first to have Trijicons installed.

The third letter I have was written and signed by Richard S. Winter, Interarms North American Group, Executive Vice President. A copy of that letter he also sent to Luis Inchausti, Star Bonifacio Echeverria, S.A.

FireStar M40 001-1 (1320 x 742).jpg

FireStar M40 005-1 (1320 x 742).jpg

FireStar M40 006-1 (1320 x 742).jpg

FireStar M40