• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Starbucks' "Pro-Gun" Policy Prompts Gun Victims' Group to Launch Nationwide Boycott

PDinDetroit

Starbucks' "Pro-Gun" Policy Prompts Gun Victims' Group to Launch Nationwide Boycott

A nationwide boycott of Starbucks stores and its products will be launched on Valentine's Day 2012. Its goal is to eliminate the risk of guns in public places and ultimately to bring sane gun laws to the U.S.

This boycott is being called by the National Gun Victim's Action Council (NGAC), a network of 14 million gun victims, the faith community including the: Episcopal Peace Fellowship, United Church of Christ, Fellowship of Reconciliation (46 peace fellowships and 43 affiliate fellowships), secular groups working to reduce gun violence and many of the organizations that support passing sane gun laws.

WHY STARBUCKS? Currently, Starbucks allows guns and assault weapons to be openly carried in its stores (in 43 states) and concealed and carried in its stores (in 49 states) (See Photos). Starbucks' compliance with the National Rifle Association's Pro-Gun Agenda was exposed in 2010 when members of the "open carry" movement began meeting in popular chains, such as California Pizza Kitchen, Peets, IKEA, Disney and Starbucks openly carrying their handguns and assault rifles. (Types of Guns)

To protect their customers and employees, all of the retail chains—except for Starbucks— banned guns from being carried in their stores.

"Starbucks allowing guns to be carried in thousands of their stores significantly increases everyone's risk of being a victim of gun violence," says Elliot Fineman, CEO of the NGAC. "Open and conceal and carry are among the reasons there are 12,000 gun homicides each year in the U.S. If we had England's gun laws we would expect 375 gun homicides each year—97% less than we have. England's gun laws are based on protecting public safety, ours on maximizing sales for the gun industry." Non-Sane Gun Laws

Starbucks has the legal right to ban guns but despite having been petitioned by thousands, asked at a shareholder meeting, and a direct appeal made to their Board, Starbucks clings to this policy that puts millions of Americans at risk every day and encourages the spread of guns being carried in public.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...boycott-on-valentines-day-2012-137890863.html

griffin

Everyone who can should OC at a Starbucks on 2/14.
Starbucks [strike]burns[/strike] over-roasts their beans, but I will OC at the Okemos location on 2/14 to support the cause and make a political statement against the anti-freedom crowd.

Last edited:

Lord Sega

Starbucks....

... is not Pro-gun, nor are they Anti-gun...

>>> they follow state law <<<

... Starbucks is Pro-consumer, and more power to them for that.

TheQ

Starbucks [strike]burns[/strike] over-roasts their beans, but I will OC at the Okemos location on 2/14 to support the cause and make a political statement against the anti-freedom crowd.

I don't drink coffee, but I will attend a Starbucks and buy a rice crispy treat.

griffin

I don't drink coffee
You also carry a 9mm. Another data point and we'll have a correlation.
biggrin5.gif

griffin

Judge Napolitano says businesses can't prohibit firearm carry on their property because they are public accommodations and firearm carry is a fundamental liberty.

Last edited:

Yance

I didnt even know about this. Let me request this day off from work and I'll schedule an event for it, see if we cant get anyone to come out. At the very least I'll be there. I'll keep everyone posted.

Onnie

ill be at the one in allan park mi from around 11ish till 130 would some one like to join me

that is my closest one as well from monroe i think, i shall try to make that one i don't drink coffee but i am sure they have something for my fat asp!

insanebuddy720

to all in the kalamazoo area we can assemble at the starbucks on west main in front of target. ill be there, idk what time yet