• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Starbuck's Shooting

fully_armed_biker

imported post

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/norf-starbucks-hit-by-random-gunfire

Hmmm....kind of ironic, isn't it? I wonder if some anti doesn't like Starbuck's policy so much that they decided to "give them a reason" to ban guns...we have environmental terrorists, why not anti-gun terrorists? My wife and I have both OC'd in that Starbucks numerous times...as have others that have posted here. I do understand that with Starbucks in the headlines so much lately, it could have just been some gang-banger-wannabe-thug that thought to himself "Wouldn't it be funny if..." as he drove by...but, you never know.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Starbucks hit by random gunfirePopular coffee house to open at noonUpdated: Tuesday, 16 Mar 2010, 8:34 PM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 16 Mar 2010, 10:38 AM EDT
NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) - Like most days, Ghent residents and merchants arrived at the Starbucks store on the corner for their morning cup of coffee. But this time they left empty handed.

A drive-by shooting overnight took out the stores front window and left bullet holes in the wall.
"It's crazy to see something like that but I guess it happens," said one customer.
It happened around 2:30 a.m. and Tucker Smith heard it all from his apartment directly across the street.
"I thought I heard eight shots," he said. "And very quick, rapid fire."
It was enough bullets to take out an entire storefront.
At the coffee shop across the street, Jamie Harlow believes it was a random act of violence and a strange brew for this part of town.
"It's a little bit scary and a little bit strange that something like that would hit so close to home..." said Harlow, who works across the street.
Although police have few leads in the case, they believe there is someone out there who might.
"Obviously several people heard something," said Chris Amos with Norfolk police. "And so we would ask if you maybe got a license plate from a car that sped away or driving recklessly, you know, call the crime line."
Anyone with information on this in

bohdi

imported post

Stupidity and lack of respect for others is not limited to any particular color, race, gender, religious beliefs, or other orientation. In short, I can't say I'm really surprsied something like this happened because things more heinous happen every day. Some folks do crazy stuff for their beliefs.

wylde007

imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
Hmmm... kind of ironic, isn't it? I wonder if some anti doesn't like Starbuck's policy so much that they decided to "give them a reason" to ban guns...
The irony lies in that the shooting was likely conducted from a moving vehicle (illegal) outside of the restaurant where Starbuck's policies (regardless of what they choose for them to be) have no bearing anyhow.

Eco-terrorists and "hippie-libbies" have no sense at all.

Crash7795

imported post

I thought it was nice how neutrally-worded WAVY-10's article was. The Pilot on the other hand...not so much. Disappointing that they tied this incident together with the AP reporting on the Starbucks/open carry discussion. Not related, except in the minds of the liberal media and the anti's. Shame.

Virginiaplanter

imported post

I'll bet it was the Same Chiefs of Police that want the Governor to Ban Concealed Carry in restaurants.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:
I'll bet it was the Same Chiefs of Police that want the Governor to Ban Concealed Carry in restaurants.
I think it was Saslaw...Hope they check for steel shot:lol:
Deep Humor

45acpForMe

imported post

So the question is, if you are sitting in a Starbuck's and a drive by shooting occurs, are you or others safer with or without your gun? I would prefer to have mine handy.

I have a customer in Norfolk that found a bullet hole in their office window and the bullet sitting on their conference table when they came to work. This was a few months ago. The frustrating thing is being disarmed at work and having to leave some of these places in the wee hours.

Icetera

Richmond - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
So the question is, if you are sitting in a Starbuck's and a drive by shooting occurs, are you or others safer with or without your gun? I would prefer to have mine handy.

I have a customer in Norfolk that found a bullet hole in their office window and the bullet sitting on their conference table when they came to work. This was a few months ago. The frustrating thing is being disarmed at work and having to leave some of these places in the wee hours.
Though I would certainly prefer to have mine on me, I find it unlikely that it would benifit me in a situation where someone is firing from a moving vehicle into the store that I am currently in. The logical move is to find cover.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
W.E.G. wrote:
Somewhere, there is a surveillance camera...
Where do you think we are, London?
Very possibly video cams in the area - there are more of them than you might imagine.

BTW - except for the Virginia gentleman, it might have been. :D

Yata hey

zoom6zoom

imported post

Exactly... people watch too much CSI and think they can do miracles with the footage. One of the stores I service has a system so old that the cops laugh when they are offered copies of the tapes because they are so useless, B&W with low resolution.

wylde007

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
One of the stores I service has a system so old that the cops laugh when they are offered copies of the tapes because they are so useless, B&W with low resolution.
What's that address? :shock::lol:

wylde007

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Sometimes they work very well.
And sometimes, as in the case of the Pentagon "attack" there are hundreds of cameras posted and rolling along the approach path, yet only four grainy frames are made available to the general public "confirming" that a plane flew into the building.

Yep. Video cameras are great in the right hands. I can tell you right now to whom that doesn't apply.

bohdi

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
bohdi wrote:
Yeah, but having a video camera and capturing usable footage are two very different things.........
Sometimes they work very well.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/crime/article/ROBBGAT17_20100317-171402/330985/

Yata hey
Yes, they will. It depends on many factors though. People think video is the cure all for crime and violence, and that sticking one up will solve all problems. I am not saying they aren't useful tools if properly deployed in an environment for a specific purpose by knowledgable folks. I am saying that the times this is done and the times it's done cheaply vary greatly. Hence public opinion being what it is based on "Eagle Eye", "CSI", "Minority Report", and the like.....

wylde007

imported post

bohdi wrote:
Hence public opinion being what it is based on "Eagle Eye", "CSI", "Minority Report", and the like...
At least the computer in Eagle Eye had an understanding of the fundamental purpose and application of the Constitution, and the proper consequences for its violation. Maybe if more of our representatives were held to such strict standards the abuse would subside.

I cheered for the computer throughout that movie. I also cheered for Timothy Olyphant's character in Die Hard With a Vengeance.

TFred

imported post

It remains to be seen how it will turn out, but I bet Gerald Ung is very happy that there were video cameras rolling the night he was attacked by a bunch of drunk frat boys in Philadelphia...

TFred