• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Strange situation after work today

Double_J

imported post

I just left a strange situation today after work today. I will begin by stating that I work for Tandy Leather Factory on Airline highway in Metairie, (not the best part of town). Today my boss, my room-mate and I were leaving the store and had just locked everything up. We were discussing the upcoming Christmas sales when a ford Taurus pulls up. Inside the car is a black woman wearing a dust mask and holding a camcorder videotaping all of us. When she exited the vehicle we asked what was she videotaping us for. We got no response, and she walked into the beauty supply shop next door. My room-mate walked into the beauty shop to ask why she was taping us. The response was that he was cursed out. Upon her leaving the store she proceeded to curse all of us out again and ordered us to call the cops while threatening to shoot us. We dialed 911 and had the local sheriffs dept. dispatched to the site, by this time the lady had left the scene. We recorded her tag number and gave it to the sheriffs deputy. Around this time another unit pulled up and consulted with the original unit. We each gave a statement about what was heard from the lady. We were told that if she comes near the store again to call 911.

What a day to leave the pistol in the car, still easy to grab but not as close as I would have liked.

OniLink2k2

imported post

Phew, sounds like a strange situation.
Sounds like a situation you might have seriously needed some self-defense.
Was someone else driving the vehicle?

P.S. - I live in Lafayette, LA, but I am currently typing on my laptop from my Uncle's house in Gonzales, LA, and I'm not too far from Airline Highway.

Double_J

imported post

To clarify this a little bit, we were all standing right outside by my truck when this all went down. When the woman pulled up with the video camera I unlocked the door so all it would have taken is to reach inside the truck.

This was maybe the second or third time that I did not have a firearm on my person since I have been working there. The main reason that I did not have it on my person was the fact that the pants I was wearing had a hole in the front pocket and would not support the pistol. I could have carried my full size pistol but it is a little bit harder to carry that one concealed all day. I know that I could open carry it but in this area discretion is the better part of valor, and about 35 percent of our walk-in customer base either has or is going to spend time in the state correctional system. I figured that it is better to keep it out of sight, as I don't want to give anyone any ideas, and yes I do know how to protect against a gun grab attempt.

chad pf-9

imported post

Double_J

I pretty much know the area where you are talking about.Definately not a good area.I pass through there quite often.I don't think I would go anywhere on airline without carrying.
Theres a guy I know that lives by me that works at pellerin milnor -the washing machine place,that got carjacked last month,after stopping at one of the little gas stations in that area.
Thats the problem we are having here in Laplace.the crime,& the people commiting the crime,are just slowly migrating down Airline from out there to here.Laplace used tobe a nice little town,but now,especially after Katrina,its getting to be just as bad as jefferson parish,&New Orleans.

OniLink2k2

imported post

I agree completely...
It's retarded how crime goes up when a group of people from one major crap-hole of a city migrates to the rest of the state.
You'll also notice that since Katrina, the test-scores in most elementary/middle schools around the state have gone down, too.

charlie12

imported post

OniLink2k2 wrote:
I agree completely...
It's retarded how crime goes up when a group of people from one major crap-hole of a city migrates to the rest of the state.
You'll also notice that since Katrina, the test-scores in most elementary/middle schools around the state have gone down, too.
I didn't know the scores could get lower. :)

sraacke

imported post

When I worked at Hunt Correctional Center I was in charge of one of the hobby sho[s for about 4 years. You would not believe the amount of stuff the inmates ordered from Tandy.