• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Summer meetups - 2014

Rusty Young Man

Alright, summer is here and the state needs to see some serious OC.:p For now though, I'd like to suggest a meetup or two in the Phoenix metro area.

I'll need to stay down in the Tucson area, so here's the forecast for my summer:
I will only be in PHX two weekends that I know of, one being THIS weekend, and the other being Independence Day weekend. There's a chance I could squeeze in one or two more, but that is uncertain at this point.

Don't know when FreeInAZ wants to redeem his sandwiches at the Hero factory, but I'll be heading in there this weekend (and yes, the cute OCing lady making the sandwiches is part of the reason I'm planning on visiting the place).:D
There's a few names I'd like to match with faces, so hopefully someone can make it. Sorry about the short notice.:(

Looks like a great selection, and Saturday hours are 7 am (much too early) to 4 pm:
http://www.azherofactory.com/

FreeInAZ

Well now - I never say no to free food! ;)

I live way the hell up in the north end of the valley at the foothills so need to factor the 45min drive to downtown into any meet up time. Send me a PM on when you plan on going.

Also be advised it (The Hero Factory) is inside a building (The Lofts @ Orpheum = 11 story retro 1930's building) & not easily located for those that have never been there from ADAMS street. Enter from the 1st street entrance which the light rail tracks run along and is a ONE WAY. Located on 1st Ave. between ADAMS & MONROE Streets. FYI. :)

See jpeg for ref.

HeroFactory.jpg

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

Great time had at the meetup:
Good food, nice atmosphere, no horses fainting or ladies stampeding.:p Took a ride on the light rail for fun, and got to meet FreeInAZ; I was correct about him not being a rattlesnake with personal subtitles.:lol:

Next meetup is planned for Independence Day weekend, most likely Saturday July 5th. July 4th will be spent watching the fireworks while OC with the family and my cousin's kiddos in tow.:)

There may be another meetup between now and July, but that still remains to be seen. I may not be able to make it, but anyone who wishes to organize a lunch should feel free to do so. Here's a little poem to give you inspiration if you are such a person:p:
(#30 and 31)
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?120011-Pro-OC-POEMS&p=2050214#post2050214

Rusty Young Man

Only two weeks till the 4th of July weekend! I'll be in Phoenix, and am looking into a good place for an OC meetup. Any suggestions from people?
Saturday, 5th of July works best for me, but I'm willing to change the day if more people would be able to make it.

Rusty Young Man

So we finally have the details hashed out.

So far, we have FreeInAZ (very likely), Javelina (confirmed), PeterNSteinmetz (confirmed), and myself going.

If anyone else would like to attend (or has the slightest desire to attend, please do), simply PM one of the attendees or myself for the location and address.

See you then at 1pm.:)

FreeInAZ

So we finally have the details hashed out.

So far, we have FreeInAZ (very likely), Javelina (confirmed), PeterNSteinmetz (confirmed), and myself going.

If anyone else would like to attend (or has the slightest desire to attend, please do), simply PM one of the attendees or myself for the location and address.

See you then at 1pm.:)

Should be a great time for all! :cool:

Rusty Young Man

Happy to have met Javelina and PeterNSteinmetz, and it was great seeing FreeInAZ again!:)
Apparently we looked like undercover cops, with OCed handguns?:confused:

Hope to have more, and there seems to be a general agreement that having a meetup every other month might be nice, so planning for that will begin soon.

The AZ thread is on a roll! Attendance to OC meetups is now up a full 300% from a few months ago.:p:) Hopefully this is only the beginning.

Last edited:

Javelina

Happy to have met Javelina and PeterNSteinmetz, and it was great seeing FreeInAZ again!:)
Apparently we looked like undercover cops, with OCed handguns?:confused:

Hope to have more, and there seems to be a general agreement that having a meetup every other month might be nice, so planning for that will begin soon.

The AZ thread is on a roll! Attendance to OC meetups is now up a full 300% from a few months ago.:p:) Hopefully this is only the beginning.

It was cool meeting up with all of you guys! :cool: yes a monthly meet-up should happen and our group should keep growing, see you guys soon!

asubae

I'm also in. I'd love to meet some of my fellow freedom-loving Arizonans! I'll keep a close eye for any potential up and coming events!

Rusty Young Man

"Duel in the Desert" OC lunch, 16th of August, 11 am

BREAKING AZ NEWS:lol:

I just found out that I can be in the Phoenix area next Saturday, 16th of August, and I'm hoping a good number of you are just aching to have another OC lunch like I am.:D

That said, there were some mentions of possibly hitting the range for the next OC lunch (obviously, the food would follow the target practice:p), so I'd like to throw that idea out there:

How about meeting at a range (still being hashed out:)), followed by a local eatery (preferably one with a "cozier" vibe, since they seem to respond best to OCers)?

Again, this would be on Saturday the 16th, and 11 am seems to be a good time, seeing as people are awake and breakfast hasn't fully worn off yet.:D

What: "Duel in the Desert :)p)" OC lunch
When: 11am, Saturday, August 16
Where: Range TBD, Eatery TBD
Why: Because we can:)

-This announcement has been brought to you by:
Insomnia (for when you need sleep)
And by:
Weird sleeping patterns caused by lab work:p

Last edited:

asubae

BREAKING AZ NEWS:lol:

I just found out that I can be in the Phoenix area next Saturday, 16th of August, and I'm hoping a good number of you are just aching to have another OC lunch like I am.:D

That said, there were some mentions of possibly hitting the range for the next OC lunch (obviously, the food would follow the target practice:p), so I'd like to throw that idea out there:

How about meeting at a range (still being hashed out:)), followed by a local eatery (preferably one with a "cozier" vibe, since they seem to respond best to OCers)?

Again, this would be on Saturday the 16th, and 11 am seems to be a good time, seeing as people are awake and breakfast hasn't fully worn off yet.:D

What: "Duel in the Desert :)p)" OC lunch
When: 11am, Saturday, August 16
Where: Range TBD, Eatery TBD
Why: Because we can:)

-This announcement has been brought to you by:
Insomnia (for when you need sleep)
And by:
Weird sleeping patterns caused by lab work:p

HEY RUSTY YOUNG MAN,

I am able and willing to meet the week of your visit. I recommend Ben Avery shooting range its located on the outskirts of Phoenix, run by the AZ Game and Fish Department. Range fee for the day is $7. We can leave for lunch and even come back later on. Have sufficient ammo for target shooting at the range. We can then proceed to find a restaurant which does not serve alcohol for consumption, so that we may open carry while eating our lunch and return to the range. Doesn't cost anything more to return after range fees.

Look forward to meeting you and any other member whos interested!!! :D

Javelina

Would love to make it, as long as the wife approves lol

Whats up guys, would be cool to do something next Saturday as I believe I have no plans as of now but would need to clear it with the wife first. Would also be willing to carpool depending on you guys thoughts? If we are all leaving the from the general Phoenix area anyway then why not right? Then again I also understand the whole wanting to roll solo thing so just let me know or PM me for general info on where I am at. I'll let you all know what the wife says tomorrow! :cool:

Rusty Young Man

HEY RUSTY YOUNG MAN,

I am able and willing to meet the week of your visit. I recommend Ben Avery shooting range its located on the outskirts of Phoenix, run by the AZ Game and Fish Department. Range fee for the day is $7. SNIP...

I've never been to Ben Avery, but I have heard good things about the place. We'll see how many people seem interested in hitting that range.

Whats up guys, would be cool to do something next Saturday as I believe I have no plans as of now but would need to clear it with the wife first. Would also be willing to carpool depending on you guys thoughts? SNIP...

If she wants to, I'd be willing to let her try my 1911.
I guess I'm trying to say that it wouldn't be a bad idea to invite her along; she can see how others OC (further verifying that it is a normal thing), might convince her to carry, and she can try another platform.:)

As to carpooling, I'm willing to give someone gas money; Ben Avery would be quite a trek otherwise, and it's Earth-friendly too.;)

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

More details:

That particular Saturday might be plenty hot, seeing as next week's average temperatures are forecasted to be in the 104-107 Fahrenheit range.:(

Called the Scottsdale Gun Club about a group of 4-7 people on that particular Saturday, and the man I spoke to said they should be able to accommodate us for 2 lanes, maybe three with a bit of luck. Maybe the lifting of fire restrictions will stem the flow of shooters going in that Saturday?

Their range fee is $15, but for some air conditioning during the AZ summer, in PHOENIX:p, it just might be worth it. At any rate, the people of Scottsdale are in dire need of OC exposure.:)

Currently looking into local eateries...