• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Superior student arrested for having guns in his vehicle

Law abider

SUPERIOR -- Having been found with unloaded guns in his car leads to the arrest of a 17-year-old Superior High School student.

Ok Ok. Positivists want more gun control. Obummer is set to close show loopholes etc... But this kid brought unloaded guns to school. Where did he get them? I don't have the details. How many executive actions and or federal laws do we need? None of them will stop the use of stolen or illegally possessed guns. I hope his parents were not negligent.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
SUPERIOR -- Having been found with unloaded guns in his car leads to the arrest of a 17-year-old Superior High School student.

Ok Ok. Positivists want more gun control. Obummer is set to close show loopholes etc... But this kid brought unloaded guns to school. Where did he get them? I don't have the details. How many executive actions and or federal laws do we need? None of them will stop the use of stolen or illegally possessed guns. I hope his parents were not negligent.
You did not provide a link - my search found such an incident [strike]as described in Minnesota.[/strike]

http://wnmtradio.com/news/articles/2016/apr/29/superior-high-school-student-arrested-for-firearms-in-vehicle/

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/f404a02665b4446480148e69b6372ddb/WI--School-Guns-Wisconsin

[strike]Moving the thread there.[/strike]

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
I see nothing wrong here .... who here does?

Violation of federal, State, and possibly local gun laws is a problem even if we believe those laws are unconstitutional, counterproductive, inconvenient, or just plain stupid.

You might consider wording your posts in such a way that they cannot so easily be interpreted to suggest a disregard for laws nor encouraging others to violate laws.

From the rules of the forum:

The Rules said:
(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

Back before the National GFSZ law was enacted, with State level GFSZ laws following, I and many others at my high school routinely had firearms and ammo in our vehicles in the high school parking lot. It wasn't uncommon for kids to do a little hunting after school. Several kids' families had farms or ranches and their pickups were working vehicles where one simply kept a gun in the truck along with a shovel and other basic tools. No law nor school policy against it at my high school back then. And never any ill intent on the part of those who had guns in their vehicles.

The reported incident gives no indication of whether this was an innocent mistake by a kid with no ill intentions, or something more nefarious.

But in either case, much as we may dislike GFSZ laws, they are the law, and gun owners cannot lay claim to being "law abiding" unless we abide the law.

If this was an innocent mistake with no ill intentions, then the a felony with lifetime loss of rights seems very excessive and we should hope for some appropriate discretion somewhere in the system. But I note that if the incident was innocent, being arrested suggests discretion may be lacking.

Charles

Last edited:

solus

i find it interesting nobody has mentioned or asked:
1. who found the firearms? school official(s) or 'resource officer' ?
2. how were they found ~ someone in authority walked by glanced thru the window and said, 'oh lookie guns in billy bo's back seat!' or consentsual search? or someone bragged about them to the wrong 'friend'? or?

something is not being told about this incident...and that should bother use all as we make our proclamations!!

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
i find it interesting nobody has mentioned or asked:
1. who found the firearms? school official(s) or 'resource officer' ?
2. how were they found ~ someone in authority walked by glanced thru the window and said, 'oh lookie guns in billy bo's back seat!' or consentsual search? or someone bragged about them to the wrong 'friend'? or?

something is not being told about this incident...and that should bother use all as we make our proclamations!!

ipse
Many schools have someone who walks through the parking lot observing/looking to keep everything kosher.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Firearms Iinstuctor

The student made an initial appearance Monday in Douglas County Circuit Court. He faces one count of possession of a dangerous weapon by a person under 18, a class A misdemeanor

Interesting well have to wait to see how this unfolds

Law abider

Law abider

Violation of federal, State, and possibly local gun laws is a problem even if we believe those laws are unconstitutional, counterproductive, inconvenient, or just plain stupid.

You might consider wording your posts in such a way that they cannot so easily be interpreted to suggest a disregard for laws nor encouraging others to violate laws.

From the rules of the forum:

Back before the National GFSZ law was enacted, with State level GFSZ laws following, I and many others at my high school routinely had firearms and ammo in our vehicles in the high school parking lot. It wasn't uncommon for kids to do a little hunting after school. Several kids' families had farms or ranches and their pickups were working vehicles where one simply kept a gun in the truck along with a shovel and other basic tools. No law nor school policy against it at my high school back then. And never any ill intent on the part of those who had guns in their vehicles.

The reported incident gives no indication of whether this was an innocent mistake by a kid with no ill intentions, or something more nefarious.

But in either case, much as we may dislike GFSZ laws, they are the law, and gun owners cannot lay claim to being "law abiding" unless we abide the law.

If this was an innocent mistake with no ill intentions, then the a felony with lifetime loss of rights seems very excessive and we should hope for some appropriate discretion somewhere in the system. But I note that if the incident was innocent, being arrested suggests discretion may be lacking.

Charles

I agree!!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The student made an initial appearance Monday in Douglas County Circuit Court. He faces one count of possession of a dangerous weapon by a person under 18, a class A misdemeanor...

Was he in his car at the time the guns were found in his car? I'm willing to bet he's in trouble for admitting to something. Caveat: I've not perused the articles.

DeSchaine

Something that none of the articles say is whether or not the student was a Hunter Safety grad. If he was, then the ONLY violation is that they were on the grounds uncased. If the judge had any brains he'd toss the case and give the kid a very stern ass chewing, to follow up the one he most certainly got from his father.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Something that none of the articles say is whether or not the student was a Hunter Safety grad. If he was, then the ONLY violation is that they were on the grounds uncased. If the judge had any brains he'd toss the case and give the kid a very stern ass chewing, to follow up the one he most certainly got from his father.

If I was the judge I'd give the prosecutor a stern lecture in our RKBA .